“A great historic hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel La Rose
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   308 Wilson St., Santa Rosa, CA 95401   |
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Napa, California
“A great historic hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This is a great hotel. It's centrally located within a 5 minute walk from several great restaurants. Don't pay any heed to the claims that it's haunted - if you're afraid of ghosts you should stay home!
This is a very comfortable, nicely renovated place with genuine, period fixtures like gravity-flush toilets, recreations of the original wallpaper, all the details are right. Don't overlook the La Rose.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Naira G, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
We would like to thank you for the nice review you had posted for our hotel and for allowing us to be a part of your recent Santa Rosa trip. We are very happy to know that you had enjoyed your experience with us. We are proud to say that no two rooms in our hotel are decorated the same and that we are preserving the historical feature of our hotel. Should you need any assistance in making future reservation, feel free to call us at 707 579 3200 or email us at reservations@hotellarose.com. We hope to see you again!!!

Naira Ghazaryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Kenwood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We called to reserve a block of rooms for a wedding party. There is no sales manager or group meetings manager as there are in other hotels around Santa Rosa, which is much needed because of the number of weddings. This review is going to confirm other reviews which are critical of the front desk management.
The desk attendant had confirmed that he had held the rooms for the wedding block although with a great deal of difficulty (dates had to be corrected three times, had to spell the last name three times, etc.) I called back today to confirm the booking and got the same unforgettable desk attendant. After being kept on hold for 15 minutes, I hung up and called again and he told me he would call me back. When I had not heard from him by 4:30 and called back, he had left for the day. The new desk attendant put me on hold, again for 15 minutes, and told me she could not confirm the booking and the manager would not either. So we lost the room block. So be warned about the management of this hotel.

Room Tip: Ultimately, we did not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth G,

Thank you for posting a review for our hotel. Please accept our sincerest apology for experience you had with your group booking. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as this will help us improve and prevent the same mistake to happen again. Rest assured that we are going to train each of our front desk staff on how to handle phone calls effectively and make group bookings. Your business is important to us and we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you, this way we may be able to turn your impression with us positively. Should you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at 707 579 3200 or email us at reservations@hotellarose.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Orem, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My grandson is attending school in the San Francisco Bay area. He is turning 21 this week and I wanted to get him a nice gift for the big day so I told him I would pay for two nights at any hotel he wanted. He came back to me and said he'd like to stay here. I booked the reservation on Expedia so that I could prepay it but to my surprise they didn't ask for any money. I figured I could just call the hotel, give them my credit card info and take care of it that way. Wow, what a surprise. When I told the lady what I wanted to do she said the only way they would do it is if I sent them copy's of both sides of my credit card along with a copy of my drivers license. I explained to her that I stay in a different hotel every week and had never heard of such a thing and I refused to do it as I didn't want copy's of my credit card laying around. I ended up cancelling.......

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dale K,

First of all, please allow us to extend our sincerest apology regarding the confusion. Being an independent hotel, all reservations are paid directly through our hotel. If you are paying for somebody’s reservation, for your security, we will ask for you to fill out a credit card authorization form along with a copy of your ID. Should you have any more questions or concerns please feel free to call us at 707 579 3200 or email us at reservations@hotellarose.com.

Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is the only hotel in Sonoma County to be listed with the National Trust of Historic Hotels of America!

We checked in and the desk clerk changed our room to different one she thought we would like better. She didn't tell us why she thought we would like it better, but we thought that it was nice of her to give us a nicer(?) room...Later that evening we were talking to the general manager in the bistro and we told her that her desk clerk was very helpful and gave us an upgraded room. The GM laughed and told us that the room she gave us is HAUNTED! The GM told us that she had only been at the hotel for a few months but she had stayed in our room one night. Before she went to bed people were telling her about the ghost(s) that haunt the room...That night she did see some ethereal figure of a woman in nightgown in the room. She thinks it was just the power of suggestion and that she may have only dreamed that she saw it...

We went to bed that night, turned off the lights...AND...Early in the morning I DID SEE an ethereal figure of a woman in nightgown drifting across the room...It was my wife on an early morning potty run!

Check out this YouTube video of some spooky ladies visiting our room looking for the ghost! Thankfully they did not visit us while we were in the room!

Even if you don't see ghosts this is still a nice hotel to visit and all the staff from the general manager on down were great!

Room Tip: The "haunted rooms" are 42 & 43. FYI - The iron and ironing board are UNDER THE BED.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Wayne N Karen B,

Thank you for your recent stay in our hotel and for the nice review regarding our property and the staff. We are truly proud of being the only hotel in the Sonoma County to be listed in the National Trust of Historic Hotels of America. With that, over the years, the hotel has several urban legends which add to the guest’s excitement and curiosity to stay with our hotel. We are glad that you had a good experience in our hotel. Please do not hesitate to call us at 707 579 3200 or email us at reservations@hotellarose.com and we will be glad to assist you in making your future reservation. You’ll never know, on your next visit, you might have the opportunity to be visited by one of the ghosts...

Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed one night during the Pliny The Younger "madness" at Russian River Brewing Company, which was located around 10 minutes walk from this hotel.

Our room, number 50, was in the second building just across the street. The room was large and clean and with a good bed. The AC worked really well. The Wi-Fi was fast and the breakfast quite simpel. Parking included in the rate. We paid 114 USD for our twin room, not bad at all.

I kind of liked this hotel, it had quite a lot of charm. If visiting Santa Rosa again I would probably stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Gyllenbock,

First of all, we would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and for posting a nice review. Your comfort and satisfaction are our top priority and we are happy to know that we were able to meet your standards. On your next visit, we would recommend for you to enjoy our balcony along with the scenery and soothing music of the water from our pond. For any future reservations, please feel free to call us at 707 579 3200 or email us at reservations@hotellarose.com . We hope to see you again in the future!!!

Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

This hotel is in a historic stone building on the railroad square in Santa Rosa. It is well decorated and the room I had was very attractive and well-equipped (there were even vintage books that were a comforting addition). The only negative I found was the old air conditioner that didn't really provide cooling (I was on the fourth floor, which gets quite hot, even in winter). The breakfast was small but sufficient -- however, they need to provide some really hot water for tea, not just luke warm water. I did appreciate it that they did not have ugly CNN news blaring in the breakfast area. This hotel was overall very pleasant and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If the weather is hot, avoid the upper floor rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Cookie064,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay with us here at Hotel La Rose. We are very happy that you had a good overall stay with us. To ensure that we always serve hot water, we will check it more often. Please accept our sincerest apologize regarding our air conditioning system, we are happy to inform you that we are in the process of updating our HVAC, we are sorry that this did not happen before your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to call us at 707 579 3200 or email us at reservations@hotellarose.com should you have any questions or concerns.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed two nights over presidents weekend and stayed here because of great rate offered through booking.com. We were on fourth floor. nice room but no ac. Manager moved us the next night. Still no ac but had large fan. The plus is its location to dinner and shops downtown. We have been traveling to Santa Rosa for many years and just hate how the price of hotel rooms has skyrocketed. Even with the inconvenience, I would stay again because of the rate. And its too bad because the hotel has such charm.

Room Tip: stay off fourth floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Naira G, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
--- Please allow us to thank you for allowing us to be a part of your recent trip in Santa Rosa and for posting a review for our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to bring this to our attention as this will help us prevent the same mistake to happen again in the future. We take every guest comments seriously and in a constructive way for us to be able to achieve your satisfaction. Please allow us to take this opportunity as well to send our sincerest apology for not being able to meet your standards and expectations. Please find us always available should you have any more comments or concerns, you may contact us at (707) 579-3200or email us at nghazaryan@hotelpros.biz. Thank you once again.

Naira Ghazaryan

Been to Hotel La Rose? Share your experiences!