“Ok, but probably wouldn't stay again.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel La Rose
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   308 Wilson St., Santa Rosa, CA 95401   |
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Los Angeles, California
“Ok, but probably wouldn't stay again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I were in Sonoma for a wedding and decided to stay in Santa Rosa because it was central to everything we wanted to do (Wineries, Historical Train Attractions, the wedding site).

Our flight got in late and it took us a while to get the rental car and head from Oakland Airport into Santa Rosa. Around 11pm we got a call from the front desk with specific directions on what to do when we go to the hotel. We appreciated the call and advice to stop along the way to pick up food as that part of town is pretty much shut down by that time.

Check in was easy, we stayed in a 2nd floor room in the Carriage House across the street from the main building. The decor and amenities are a little outdated but nice nevertheless. We had decided to book a room with a jet tub as we both like soaking after a long day touring wineries. However, the tub had some stains in it that made us think twice about turning on the jets. We just used it for showering. The room was charming with a high four poster bed, sitting area, and heavy drapes. It's like a hybrid inn/bed and breakfast atmosphere. My husband loved the bed. It was firm and he said it was the best sleep he's had in months. I had a little trouble staying asleep in the morning because light would come in from the high windows. We had pulled the drapes but the light would still come in through the side of the drapes. Not the worst thing but would've liked a darker room in the morning.

The one major shortcoming was with housekeeping. We returned from touring the Sonoma area in the late afternoon and the room as made up nicely. However, the tissue box that was empty was not replaced and we were not given any more toilet paper even though we had started on the last roll. I called the front desk to ask for housekeeping to bring some up and the lady at the front desk said, "Oh, they're probably still in your area. Just go down there and look for them." I said, "Really?" and she said "Yes, I can't leave the front desk but if you just yell for housekeeping someone will come out. If I see them I'll send someone over." Maybe my expectations are higher from traveling on business and staying at Hyatts and Hiltons. I have never once had to chase down housekeeping for toilet paper and tissues.

So we went to look for housekeeping and found someone. They promptly brought the tissues and toilet paper up. Before I could even tip her the housekeeper turned on her heel and walked off. We felt like we were inconveniencing them.

The good: location, the bed, the historic boutique hotel feeling.
The bad: housekeeping, outdated tv and decor, room not dark enough.

I wanted to like it more but for the rate we paid, we felt like it could've been better.

Room Tip: Room in the carriage house faced the train tracks. Monday morning train and trash pickup was loud.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
First and most importantly thank you for staying at Hotel La Rose. Please note that your concerns are taken very seriously and know that it is not policy to request the guest to ever look for houskeeping as it is our job and duty to handle your hospitality needs asap. You must of been in room 62 as that is one of our most popular rooms do to the big windows and light coming into the room. Once the train starts again in early 2015 I am sure we will have alittle noise as it is a fast rail train SMART but we have been assured it will be minimum.

Once again thank you for staying with us and please contact me on your next stay as I would love to meet.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Nice enough structure from the outside. Generally clean. Very friendly housekeeping staff.
No mattress covers. If you're after a quiet room- ask for a room that doesn't look out onto the freeway. Overpriced for what it is. Would have given different review had people at front desk said anything about noise reality..... Somewhat staid, and Fawlty Towerish, minus the humor. Well maintained and pleasant, minus freeway noise factor.

Room Tip: Unless you enjoy sleeping with very loud freeway noise, ask for another room! Good walk ability for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We work hard daily to make sure that you as our guest have the best stay possible. I have personally checked all beds along with my hsk supervisor to assure that all rooms have the above mentioned ammenities. The freeway noise is something that we can not control along with anyother Hotel in the area. Knowing that we have streets on all sides of the hotel I would suggest that on your next visit please ask for a room in the Carriage House in the back if possible as we are usually soldout on the weekends. Our rooms once again are clean, the staff housekeeping or front desk very professional and cater to your needs when requested if at all possible. Once again thank you for your comments and staying at Hotel La Rose where you will get a great clean room, curtious service and a wonderful value.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at this hotel and had a few ups and downs.

The location is great with restaurants and shopping literally around the corner. The main hotel building is where we made our reservation because we wanted to stay in this great old hotel, but when we checked-in the clerk told us that we had reserved a room in the "carriage house," which is a new building across the street. We were a little disappointed, but I was also relieved because the main building had a very strange smell that would have bothered me if we stayed there (musty).

The "carriage house" is newer and clean, but needs maintenance. The doorknob to our patio door came off when I was pulling on it to shut the door. I had to pull hard because the doorway was warped and had about a 1 inch gap between the top of the door and the upper door jamb.

Overall, it was a clean room in a safe environment, but it was not the "old world experience" we were hoping for by staying at an historic hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
I am very sorry that you did not get to stay in the main historic building. At check-in did you advise the front desk about your request as we always try to make sure all of our guest needs are met. Please feel free to contact the hotel concerning your stay at anytime so matters can be corrected.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel La Rose during our trip to the Northern California area. It's a wonderful small hotel that provides a very comfortable bed, wonderful shower, decent breakfast, their own parking lot, and friendly staff. We went on a wine tour with Terrific Tours, which picked up/dropped us off right at the hotel! How awesome is that? My only recommendations would be to provide more options than cereal, pastries, & breads at breakfast. A hot option (like eggs or waffles/pancakes), oatmeal, or yogurt would be a great addition. Thanks for a wonderful stay and if we are in the area again, we will consider staying.

Room Tip: There are two parts of this hotel- a newer section and an older section. We stayed in the older sec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Hotel La Rose & Bistro 1907 wishes to first of all thank you for your kind words and staying with us during your visit to Santa Rosa, CA. As you know with every hotel and restaurant it is your choice of lodging and we wish to thank you again for choosing us and look forward to your next stay.
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

When our usual hotel was booked, we stayed here for a night. It is located in the historic railroad square in Santa Rosa with free parking. We stayed in the carriage house, which is across the street from the Hotel. The carriage house was cute although inside the room there was a weird splotch on the carpet that I just preferred to walk around. The room was fairly large with a decent sized bathroom. The free continental breakfast was a little lacking but thankfully, A'Roma Roasters was across the street with delicious coffee and croissants. Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel La Rose for your rooming needs in Santa Rosa, CA. The mentioned spot is glue that someone spilled on the carpet which is beinging taken care of as our carpets are always cleaned and repaired in timely mannor. Once again thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hotel La Rose is a good choice when visiting the Santa Rosa area. It is a historic hotel (100 years old), so do not expect large hotel amenities. However, it is a beautiful place. We had a king size bed on the fourth floor. The room was a good size, the bathroom was a good size, and the hotel staff were very nice. There are coffee shops, restaurants, and wine bars in walking distance...as in one block away. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
As the General Manager I wish to personally thank you for staying with us as does the entire staff. Please note that we strive to make every stay a stay to remember. Once again thanks and we look forward to your next visit.
Fairfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had had a fabulous day at Matanzas Creek for their Lavender and Wine festival, then came down to Santa Rosa for the night. Easy to locate, close to many fun restaurants....we chose La Gare, a French restaurant, that was down the street, walking distance. Excellent food and service. The Hotel La Rose's rooms were large and really comfortable, the staff very friendly and helpful. I wish I had known about their Magician's Dinner the same evening we stayed. It sounded incredible, and something we will go back to visit. I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about Hotel La Rose and the staff. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Hotel La Rose? Share your experiences!