“Great historic hotel in Santa Rosa” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel La Rose
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   308 Wilson St., Santa Rosa, CA 95401   |
Ranked #10 of 26 hotels in Santa Rosa
Oakland, California
“Great historic hotel in Santa Rosa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a great hotel. My wife and I drove to Santa Rosa to see the B-52s perform at the Wells Fargo Center as my birthday present. To avoid a long drive home, we looked at the hotel list and thought the Hotel La Rose looked great. We stayed over a Sunday night, getting the weekday discount for a small queen bed room, but when we arrived, we were upgraded to a Junior suite room on the third floor (Room 39) in the main historic hotel. The entire hotel seems very well kept-up, clean and comfortable. Our room had a small room off the door, into a fairly decent sized bedroom with a small sofa, two cubes to put your feet up, a writing desk, TV armoire, and a door leading out to a small balcony - don't expect great views but having a door and balcony was a nice feature! This room has a full-sized tub/shower and others have mentioned the modern pull chain toilet!

Service at the front desk both on check-in and check-out was outstanding - very friendly and helpful. We came back late from the concert and tried to find an open bar. No luck but M made calls including checking if the Hyatt was serving. We did not have a chance to try the restaurant which was only open until 8 PM. The restaurant is in transition and they don't have their alcohol license yet but the menu looks good.

The Railroad Square area is quite nice - lots of restaurants and some very interesting stores, including antiques and collectibles. Very convenient as long as you remember everything, including the bars close by 11 PM!!

I give the Hotel La Rose my highest rating. Remember that it is intended to be a unique, historic place to stay - built in 1907, remodeled and updated sure, but still with a nice feel of the original. If you can't live without a 42" LCD television - this might not be the place for you! But we had a wonderful stay and will likely return to do some exploring in Santa Rosa and the areas surrounding.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and know that the Hotel La Rose and Bistro 1907 family takes pride and values every guest experience as you are part of our extended family.

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
bethelisland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

When visiting my son in Santa Rosa, I always stay at Hotel La Rose. This charming historic hotel has lovely, comfortable rooms, but my favorite part of any visit is the staff. Janet, Julie, and Erica always make me feel as if I am a family member returning home. I was pleased to discover on a recent trip that the hotel has now taken over the operation of the restrauant which is conveniently housed in the same building. I understand some fun activities wil be happening at the restaurant including frequent "murder mystery dinners", exhibits by local artists, a new chef, and a "happy hour". I personally enjoy ordering room service for breakfast although the hotel now offers a free continental breakfast for guests. I am looking forward to my next visit which I hope will include a dinner reservation for the "murder mystery"!

Room Tip: I always try to stay in rooms 47 or 48 as they are very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Just wanted to say that the entire Hotel La Rose and Bistro 1907 (restaurant) look forward to your next visit with us. Once again thanks for staying with us your Santa Rosa family.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

A girl in the coffee shop around the corner recommended the Hotel La Rose. And as soon as we walked through the door, we knew we wanted to stay here.
The hotel was full of history – from the furniture to the beautiful wooden staircase.
Our room was massive. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was nice also. Our bedroom wasn’t far off needing a new coat of paint, but that didn’t worry us.
The hotel is right in the centre of town and is connected to a restaurant / bar were we had breakfast and enjoyed a few beers in the evening.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
It was a pleasure hosting your rooming needs. As you found out the entire staff at Hotel La Rose and Bistro 1907 strives to treat every guest like family. Once again thank you and your guest for allowing us to include you in our Hotel La Rose and Bistro 1907 family.
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I have recently discovered the wonders of the La Rose Hotel on Railroad Square in Santa Rosa. The hotel recently took over the adjacent restaurant. IT IS FANTASTIC!!!! The food and service is second to none. Dade, the facility manager, is warm and friendly. His management skills are far superior to that of the prior restaurant owners. His positive attitude carries over to his staff. We had dinner there last evening and were extremely satisfied.

A week or so ago, our daughter stayed in the hotel itself for a get-a-way.
Her analysis was the same as ours. The room was perfect, the food extra ordinary.

I would highly recommend the La Rose Hotel and Restraurant.

Room Tip: Check with the staff for their advice.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about Historic Hotel La Rose and Bistro 1907 (restaurant) just a note Hotel La Rose is 105 years old this year and look forward to the next 105 years. Thanks again hope to see you and your family again soon.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights recently and were extremely happy with the quality of our stay, and the affordability of the hotel. The location is close to a number of restaurants, coffee shops and bars, and only a few blocks from 101. Great value for your money and an extremely nice stay in a clean, comfortable hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
The entire staff wishes to thank you for your comments. The Hotel La Rose and The Restaurant at Hotel La Rose wishes to again host your rooming and dining needs in Santa Rosa on your next trip.
Davis, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I travel and stay at hotels often, and I have never had a more confusing, upsetting and frustrating experience than I did at Hotel La Rose.

My husband and I spent one night Hotel La Rose and our stay itself was fine – the room was nothing special but it was clean and spacious. However, two weeks after checking out I noticed an extra $250 charge on my credit card statement. I called the hotel to find out why I had been charged so much and was informed that the $250 was a damage charge for smoking in the room. I was a bit shocked because I absolutely did not smoke in the hotel (nor did my husband) and I was furthermore irritated that I had been charged for damages without any kind of notification. I asked to speak with the Manager, Dade Vincent, and told him that there must have been some mistake and asked why I hadn’t been notified of the additional charge. He apologized and told me he would take my word for it that I hadn’t smoked in the room and refund the $250 to my credit card. He also told me that his staff had screwed up by failing to notify me of the damage charge. He said he would process the refund immediately and send me an email when he had done so.

Later that week when I hadn’t received an email from the hotel I checked my credit card account and saw that the money had not been refunded. I called again and spoke to Dade, and he told me the refund should have gone through and said he would try it again now. I checked my account a few days later and still had not received the refund. I called Hotel La Rose several times over the next few weeks and was unable to get the manager on the phone – it seemed he was always in a meeting or had “just left.” I left my name and phone number numerous times and he never called me back. I began to feel like he was evading me and started to worry that I’d been caught in some kind of scam. I finally started calling more frequently and complained that the manager had failed to return my phone calls and eventually got him on the phone. When I asked why he had not refunded my credit card or returned my phone calls, he told me he was now “fighting his boss” about my refund and had a meeting with them that afternoon. He promised to clear things up and refund my credit card that evening. At this point I told him I was extremely frustrated and believed he was incredibly unprofessional at best and running some kind of scam at worst. I informed him that I would check my credit card account the following day, and if the $250 was not refunded I would contact my credit card company to dispute the charge. Not surprisingly, the money was never refunded. Stay away from Hotel La Rose!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Hotel La Rose is a 100% non smoking in room property. At check in all guest must initial registration card understanding this policy and smoking charges (which was done by guest). The room in question was checked not only by our housekeeper but the housekeeping supervisor and hotel operations manager. Guest was advised of their findings and review. Hotel La Rose understands that guest being charged for smoking in a room at times will have a serious problem with the charge but to chean the room and disinfect the room takes time and extra hours for our hsk staff. Once again we are sorry for the smoking charges but must stand by the findings of our staff as Hotel La Rose is and will always be concerned about our guest health and cleanliness of our hotel and rooms. Dade GM Hotel La Rose
woodstock, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Thos was recommended to us by a local and what a treat it was!! Very old hotel with an very friendly staff. There was even much talk of a couple resident ghosts--very friendly children--but we didn't have the fortune to meet them.

• Stayed May 2012
Along with my thanks and the thanks of the staff of Hotel La Rose and The Restaurant at Hotel La Rose we wish to invite you back on your next stay. Remember hospitality and comfort is our business.

Been to Hotel La Rose? Share your experiences!