“Loved the Sandman!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
candye@pacbell.net
“Loved the Sandman!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I was skeptical after reading some of the reviews, so we were pleasantly surprised with our stay. The young woman at the front desk was extremely friendly. Our rooms were very clean, appeared that they had recently been renovated, with new carpeting, paint, etc. The bathrooms were very clean. The swimming pool is huge and heated, and the outdoor spa is large and very clean. The restrooms outside appeared very new and clean. Breakfast was excellent. The young woman helping in the breakfast area was very polite and had great patience dealing with several demanding senior citizens. I would highly recommend this property, especially for families with children. There is large lawn in the back area where children could play safely.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Yuma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

The Sandman Inn in Santa Rosa was a recommendation as a place to stay while at a wedding.. If you stay, beware of the front desk! The woman was rude and not helpful at all. Overall the rooms were clean and beds were comfortable, However if you need help with directions or request a wake up call. beware!

• Liked — beds and location
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SantaRosa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

I came into the town to do some business, my room wasn't ready, a lovely lady at the front desk said, normal check in time is at 4:00pm and would see if she could get us a room now. I was so thankful for that. The desk clerks name is Tammy. If you every should travel that way, look her up-she is a delight. Well, after I checked out with this must rudest lady I have ever met, I was just shocked that they would have a great desk clerk and someone that just didn't care who you were. A few days later I called back, I was planning another trip there and I asked if Tammy was there, and they said she no longer works there and hung up. I was so in shock. I called back and was trying to make a reservation for the following weekend and felt that they didn't care who I was and I was so disappointed about this. I am going to send a letter to the corporate office about this matter. How can you have wonderful help leave and keep rudeness at the desk. I have also informed all my friends that travel to your hotel of what is going on and they are also sending letters. I don't know if this will do anything but, I wanted to say I really thought your motel was pretty wonderful and the desk clerk Tammy was awesome. Sorry that she no longer is there. We miss her!!

• Liked — Tammy the front desk clerk that went the extra mile to make my stay enjoyable!!
  • Disliked — The check-out and that Tammy no longer works there!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Comanche, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

My son and I stayed at the Sandman Motel recently while touring near-by Alexander and Sonoma Valley vineyards. The Sandman is conveniently located on a feeder road off Hwy 101 (but not directly adjacent to it like several near-by franchise motels) north of the Santa Rosa sprawl. The room we were assigned was in the back of the property (ask for one of these), had recently been renovated, was large and had two comfortable queen beds. Amenities included a TV with cable service, free internet, compact refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. The bathroom had a large stone counter, sink and a separate room with toilet, bath and shower. The closet was large and had plenty of hangers. Our room was clean and was well maintained during our stay. The motel offers a continental breakfast with an adequate selection of cereals, bread, yogurt, juices, coffee, tea, and has a station with two waffle makers. The breakfastroom is located in the back of the property, adjacent to the pool and hot tub. This is not a romantic or luxurious lodging, but it is equal to or above the quality of the franchise hotels one finds along the highway for less money. There is a Carl’s Restaurant near the front of the property if you prefer meat with your breakfast and Trader Joe’s in an adjacent strip center if you want snacks for the trip. The motel is near two of the areas finer restaurants, Willi’s Wine Bar and John Ash. Save money by staying at the Sandman and treat yourself to dinner at either or both.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing; Trip Advisor contributors have it nailed.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mendocino, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

I have stayed at the Sandman about once a month for the last seven years when I was in Santa Rosa on business. It has always been a good
place to stay; clean, quiet, good hot tub, large rooms. But twice in the last year, my car was broken into in the parking lot. Once my old
Subaru had the locks ruined with a screwdriver and recently a door window on my 1999 Subaru was broken to steal a portable printer I mistakenly left on the floor. I realize that the hotel is not responsible for losses but they obviously have a security problem and
the manager would not admit it or do anything about it. It no longer feels like a safe place and I won't be staying there any longer.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prescott, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

My husband has stayed there through the years when traveling to Santa Rosa on business and always found it a good hotel for the price. Although it's been a few years we booked a two night stay and boy were we surprised. The bed was very uncomfortable but not as bad as the pillows. A queen sized bed had three square little pillows that felt like they were filled with straw. The door handle was falling off the door and looked like it had been jimmied before and stuck back on. We propped a chair against it at night. The toilet was like a rocking chair and needed to be tightened to the floor. The whole room needed updating, it was a throwback to the '80's. The girls at the breakfast were very nice and the food and coffee very good. The older women at the checkout was surly and when my husband asked for a pen to sign the credit card slip she pointed to a can of pens several feet away while holding one herself. It will be the last time we stay there.

• Liked — the pool area looked very nice
  • Disliked — the room itself
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Spin the Globe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I have been staying at the Sandman on business for the last 20 years. As a businessman and faithful customer I feel that I am entitled to some respect. Not So. Too bad that the hired help ruins what is generally a decent place to stay.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sandman Motel? Share your experiences!