“My favorite place for Chinese fare” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #98 of 449 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Gary Chu’s Chinese Seafood Restaurant is owned by award-winning chef Gary Chu. Chef Chu aims for gourmet quality while staying within the bounds of traditional cooking. The enticing menu, which boasts occasional seasonal additions like crab and corn soup, regularly features delicate steamed sea bass, lightly crisped lemon sauce chicken, tender and rich Szechuan lamb, an array of seafood (heavy on shrimp), and distinctively flavored vegetarian selections. Gary Chu’s family dinners make an economical option and enable sampling of a variety of tastes and textures. Nestled into the handsome and peaceful jade and black dining room and you’ll be taken care of by the efficient staff.
North SF Bay
“My favorite place for Chinese fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I must admit going frequently to Gary Chu's with family and friends - sometimes for lunch but more often for dinner. Every single time we take out of town guests, they rave about this place. Yesterday, it just happened again in a phone call with recent visitors. That conversation has prompted me to write a review. We have several all-time favorite dishes and we tend to order the same things each time (are we boring? Maybe, but we know what we like), family style, and the consistency is always there. I am always on a quest to find a restaurant that can make a better kung pao chicken than Gary Chu's. No restaurant has ever come close. Yum! (we also love Gary's other restaurant, Osake - talk about some great sushi!)

Visited August 2013

sebastopol, ca
“I Don't Get the Raves!??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Yes, they use fresh ingredients... but then they make them taste like every other restaurant of this type. I just don't get the raves. Is it worth the expensive price tag? Not for me. I will say that I don't eat fish... so perhaps I'm missing something here... but all of my dishes were heavily sauced and just ok.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ashland, Oregon
“Beautiful room, good food too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This Chinese restaurant is in a good downtown location. The dining room is very nice: good furniture, lighting, flowers, napery. Our waiter was nice and cute as well. It was Saturday evening about 5:30. We ordered the corn & crab soup, orange peel beef, stir fry pea tips, mu shu pork and some plain rice. Oh, and appetizer of shrimp served on pretty shredded carrot in a martini glass. It was deelish. Then so was the beef, the pea tips. Mmm. Then a nice looking woman came to our table with the mu shu pork and proceeded to assemble the pancake, etc for us. No smile, no eye contact, not a word. OK. Rice was good. I would return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glen Ellen
“Our favorite Chinese restaurant in Santa Rosa/Sonoma area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant for 13 years, It has all the old favorites and the dishes are always well prepared. The ambiance is quite nice and service is VERY good. It is convenient, as it is right downtown in Santa Rosa. This restaurant is highly recommended!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Rosa, California
“Incredible Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

For my wife's birthday our oldest son took us to Gary Chus for dinner. There was about 10 of us and the service was incredible. They were very attentive. The food was very fresh and hot and the flavors of the different foods that we ordered was absolutely fantastic. We will definitely be returning very soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere