“All around pleasant restaurant experience” 5 of 5 stars

707-527-7687
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
John Ash & Co Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 404 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Californian
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: River Rd. and Hwy 101
Cloverdale, California, United States
“All around pleasant restaurant experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Although I'm a former So. Cal resident, I had heard of John Ash and was looking forward to eating at this restaurant. Although he is no longer chef in charge of the kitchen, I believe he is still an influence. The Inn where the restaurant is located has grounds that are beautiful and quiet even with the 101 fwy adjacent. Dining Rooms are impressive and there is a comfortable open dining area looking out on a vineyard and vegetable gardens. Extensive, well thought out wine list. Varied menu. I started with a winter squash soup and entree of Portobello and asparagus with scallops and whipped potato. Both were was excellent. Dining companion, Beef filet with baked potato and spinach. Common combination but was excellently prepared (steak was cooked perfectly). Wait staff friendly and helpful, answered questions regarding wines with knowledge. Prices well within range. Restaurant has coupled with Ferrani Carano Winery.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pennsylvania
“Lovely setting, excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The setting was beautiful. Food delicious. Wine excellent. Service superb. A special occasion restaurant.

Visited October 2013
“Refreshing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We found the food & ambiance so refreshing that we came back the next night. We were on the terrace which was very nice. The food came as ordered. Service very competent.

santa rosa
“Lackluster”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was disappointed in their Happy Hour. Wednesday is free appetizers at 5:30pm and so we decided to meet there and try it. There were four appetizers on a plate. Mine were cold. I think they had been plated for quite a while. We ordered the standard calamari from the menu and that was not crispy and hot either. The waitress didn't know what vodka was the house vodka which I thought strange. Lovely views though.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Santa Rosa, CA
“Still a fine place to celebrate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Many groups and couples celebrating birthdays or anniversaries seem to gravitate to John Ash. After all, it is impossibly romantic with some tables right next to vineyards. Our initial table was right by the sliding glass partition that let in cool breezes (too cool) and a heater overhead. We asked to move inside and were politely given a table in one of the two main dining areas. Our server, Alan, soon emerged from behind a screen strategically blocking the kitchen. He got us our kir royals and told us about two specials. Since we knew what we wanted, we dismissed the sea bass ceviche and pork special. My wife ordered the arugula and fig salad, which could have benefited from more greens. It was OK but a bit plain for $13. My butternut squash soup at $9 was excellent and was not overpowered by salt. My wife's pork chop, $32, was not too salty as one writer reported. It was perfectly cooked medium with a still moist pink center. My Alaskan halibut at $37 failed to impress. I should have asked how much cream (listed as a third or fourth ingredient) was to be used. What came from the kitchen was a fine piece of fish with fresh peas and potatoes, but everything was drowned in the cream sauce. Next time, I would ask our server to have the chef prepare the dish without any cream. Glasses if Ferrari-Carano ("family" wines) cabernet and sangiovese went well with both entrees. Our dessert was the peach/blackberry crumble with a scoop of salted ice cream. (Will someone please pull the plug on this overuse of salt?) I detected more crumble than fruit. In hact, it might have been a fine breakfast item.

The bill came to $153, including tax but not tip. I can see why people come here for special occasions. We've been coming here on and off since they opened in the original Montgomery Village location. I suspect we will be back but at these prices, we would like to be more than just impressed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere