“Not bad enough to leave, but really bare bones.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Santa Rosa South

Motel 6 Santa Rosa South
Motel 6 Santa Rosa South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2760 Cleveland Ave., US 101/Redwood Highway at the Steele Lane exit, Santa Rosa, CA 95403   |
Ranked #26 of 26 hotels in Santa Rosa
Arcata, California
“Not bad enough to leave, but really bare bones.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Trying to keep expenses down for a group I am working for, but this place was barely tolerable. I won't stay at a place that is not clean or safe, so that is all I can say for this motel.
Because I was staying for more than a few days, they told me the housekeeping would only come Tuesdays and Fridays. Not even to make the bed, empty the trash, or change the towels. So I have a pile of trash, a worn thin towel to reuse, and a lumpy bed that stays unmade.
I am traveling with my dog and he gets to stay free, but that makes me wonder about prior guests and who they traveled with...
The walls are thin and noisy people outside wake me periodically. Also the couple upstairs got my dog barking...
The internet is non-existent, altho I was charged $3 a day for the privilege to use it. Some days the connection was not even strong enough to get on to use my code; I had to use one of the random unsecured connections available, which I usually defaulted to anyway. I had to talk to the tech support one night, and he checked the connection and said it was great, that I was probably in a dead zone or that the hotel needed to up their connection points.
No refrigerator or microwave available, a definite negative for me traveling with a dog. I also like to have my oatmeal in the morning and make coffee. No coffee maker, hot water, or hair dryer. The shower (no tub) is like in an RV - the plumbing comes out of the ceiling and faces the corner so the water won't run out around the shower curtain. I am 110 pounds, and found it too small as the handicap rail takes up some room. So it is really like trying to negotiate a shower in an RV, one of those over-the-toilet tiny ones.
The pillow smells bad, so I covered it with towels. No other sanitation issues that I can tell.
Has a pool, but I haven't gone at all as I did not bring a suit and it is cold outside anyway.
The convenient part of the this hotel is that it is near Coddington Mall, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's, so it is easy to get a quick meal on the go or pick up an item I may need. It is also close to the dog day care I use for my dog while I work (Paradise Pet Resort - highly recommend!).
Parking lot is well lit and I can put the car right by my room. I still bring everything inside, but it feels like a safer place to leave my car than some hotels.
The people at the desk are very sweet and helpful.
I'm not sure I would stay here again, mostly because I need reliable internet and like a frig in the room. But I certainly can't endorse it.

Room Tip: They claim internet connection is better upstairs and by the office. I am on the back on the lower...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Gig Harbor, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very basic accommodation. On the positive, the room seemed clean, the lock on the door worked, the AC worked, the bathroom was clean and the hot water and shower worked. I checked for bugs, didn't see any. The old crappy TV worked. Furniture was old but functional. On the negative, I was not really comfortable in the parking lot, as there were guys hanging around all night outside a couple of the rooms, smoking and drinking. There seemed to be more than a few rooms that were occupied with long-term tenants, maybe trying to make ends meet? The noise level was such that I didn't really sleep well..... There was a security guard who was passing through the lot when I checked in, and I asked if I should park near the well-lit-all-night front office - he said 'oh yeah, that would be a good idea'. That didn't make me feel comfortable. Neither did the young lady and her 'boyfriend' who were loitering on the sidewalk, winking at passing cars (if you know what I mean). Overall, it was a cheap place to stay, and served it's purpose, but I certainly wouldn't stay there with my wife or family. In fact, I think I'll pay more and stay elsewhere next time, I'll sleep better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night.
The room was clean and the airconditioner was powerfull and cool.... although there were only two small towels in the room, not really big enough to properly dry off with.

Good location. Within walking distance to the mall and whole foods. However I woke up several times during the night to find different spots on my body that were itching. At first the bites looked like mosquito bites.... Or maybe even spider...but over some houres and the whole next day they transformed into the very swolen and blister like bites that I know come from bed bugs.... (because I was bitten by bed bugs at another motel before...the bites have certain recognizable characteristics).
The whole process is so unpleasant. My right hand swelled up so large I could hardly close it. It is a somewhat tramatic expirence to have.

Apparany bed bugs are very common.... So I don't necessarily blame this motel... It could hsppen anywhere. But I do think people should know about it.

This was my second time staying here. The first time almost two years ago was fine no bugs....
I might stay here again, but would probably choose the other motel 6 first.

• Stayed July 2012
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

For a point of reference, we usually stay in very basic places. I think I've only paid more than $60 for a room once or twice in the past 5 years or so. (We didn't pay for this one, a relative did.) I considered the room to have a very acceptable level of cleanliness. For example, walking around with bare feet and my feet stayed clean. If cleanliness is your minimum standard you'll be fine. We were here for 5 days and I several interactions with the staff. No problems there either.

However (and you know there is a however) I amazed exactly how bare bones they got! No breakfast is clearly stated on the motel web site. This place also had no coffee maker in the room (so no hot water for us instant oatmeal people) and they don't even distribute shampoos/conditioners/lotions--only tiny bars of soap. Free coffee w/ powdered creamer IS available in the hotel lobby, but no hot water for oatmeal or tea. No iron in the room, no iron to borrow from the lobby, no ironing board in the room. Not even a clock of any sort in the room. (I'm sure the lobby would give you a wake up call, we never asked.)

The biggest insult of all? $2.99 at a time for 24 hours of mediocre wi-fi!! Wi-fi signal was not strong enough to watch hulu without allot of fits and starts.

Anyway, I would recommend this room for a quick overnight stay. I would be more hesitant about staying here for a longer period.

Room Tip: We were in room 227, the first non-smoking room next to the smoking rooms. The fan in the bathroom...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Flekkefjord, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I am there to sleep
its satisfactory, overall nice time
at the chain, keep it up, but lover the price
in and around the bay area, 70usd at
motel6 in south sf is too much even thou its
close to the airport)))

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

Pretty glad I hadn't read the reviews on here before we checked in or we would have just kept driving. All other hotels we called on the way into town were booked. The room we got was what we paid for (79$ for four). Nothing roomy or fancy, no frills by any means, but
clean. The other guests checking in looked like us, middle of the road couples and families. Our room was farthest from the office and overlooked a warehouse-type area. We never saw any people loitering in the parking lot or any evidence
of drug dealing or prostitution. We did not go by the other Motel 6 in the area so I don't know if people got their reviews mixed up between the two.
Front desk guy was very pleasant. Outside walkways could use a good power washing.

• Stayed August 2011
Omaha, Ne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The room itself wasn't that bad BUT......there was drug dealing and prostitution out in the bad parking lot (which where our room was). Police circling the parking lots all night long.
I know that the hotel staff know whats going on so if you want good reviews in the future....KICK THESE PUNKS OUT!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Santa Rosa South? Share your experiences!