“Decent stay, kitchen A+” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #20 of 26 hotels in Santa Rosa
Pismo Beach, California
“Decent stay, kitchen A+”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Thank you for a pleasant stay for about two weeks during early January. I appreciate the hotel providing clean and functional accommodations for me during my time there. With 10+ years in guest services, I wanted to provide you with some feedback as to what a guest experiences with you.

Strengths
Room - Kitchen. The kitchen was a really cool part of the room at this property. A full size refrigerator/freezer, microwave, and all basic cooking equipment and utensils (including a toaster!) along with a range made it very easy to feel at home. I could store plenty of frozen food and drinks and love being able to make my own food when staying at a hotel.
Amenity - Internet Service. Free internet. Thank you! Your guests really appreciate the service, and does not go unnoticed. I can tell you it has a major influence on booking conversions.
Service - Printing. I had a document I needed to print for work. When first calling the front desk, I was offered an option to bring down my USB flash drive. After loading the drive, and coming down, I was told the computers could not be used for that. As a solution to the problem, an agent offered to have me send an email to the front desk address, where it could then be printed. Ultimately, I got the document printed, free of charge, which I really appreciated
Service - Night Staff PM and Audit. The evening front desk agent gal was very courteous and recognized me after a few nights. She provided extra amenities with no hassle at the front desk. She even gave me popcorn as a nice gesture. The night audit gal didn’t speak much English, but was able to get me everything I needed, and was very nice and friendly.
Service - Housekeeping. The few services I did get during my stay were perfect. The bed was changed and made fresh, and all trashes changed and new linens provided. It was a pleasant surprise after returning from a days work.
Room - AC/Heat. During my chilly winter visit, I only made use of the heater functionality of the room, and it worked wonderfully and was easy to use. I was very toasty during my entire stay.
Room - Hangers. I love having the extra plastic hangers there for me to hang my clothes.
Room - Toilet. The toilet should be on a NASA space shuttle, because it flushed heavy duty. The good thing about that is less clogs, which seems to be a constant problem for properties.
Amenity - Breakfast. The free breakfast was a nice touch. Coffee, pastry, granola bar, oatmeal, and fruit offered free daily.
Value - Price. Priceline got me an incredible deal during my winter visit. I was lucky to find the amenities at this hotel for the price that I paid.

Weaknesses
Signage - DND sign. No Do Not Disturb sign was awkward. A housekeeper walked in on me several mornings and woke me up a few times as well.
Service - Snarky Agent. I had a few occurrences of attitude from the front desk. I understand, but really notice it since I have worked in the business for so long. The gentleman that worked most mornings, and the woman I believe it to be the manager both tried to talk to me like I was a little kid in trouble. Booking days at a time through Priceline, really got them agitated with me on several occasions, and tried to make me feel as if I was breaking some sort of rules, or causing problems. I also got lectured from the morning agent as to how their systems work and how inconvenient my bookings have been since they have to close reports or whatnot before a certain time. Not doing anything wrong it was difficult not to get upset at the condescending attitude I received. I don’t like being talked to as if Im in trouble, and this one flaw in the property alone is enough to make me not want to come back.
Lobby - Luggage Cart. I was given a 3rd floor room. I was told there was a luggage cart, but they had no idea where it was. Upon my departure, I asked in the morning if they actually had one because I still could not find one. Hours later at checkout time when I needed it, and I still could not find one anywhere. I was told they had a long term guest leaving that needed it and it would be a while. So after 20 trips to the car, I had the housekeeper waiting at my door asking when I was leaving and waiting to clean. Tip: Ask your guests if they need help if you see them struggling with bags.
Room - Bed Spread. Please. Floral bedspreads have got to go! Burn them. They are terrible and immediately date your room when the guest first walks in. You have got to transition to white linen soon.
Room - Smell. When first walking into the room, there was foul smell. It was a combination of sewage from the bathroom right there, and burnt cooking from a previous guest. I know smell is really tough to deal with, but it is a problem in this room. Despite air freshener and candles, I was not able to get rid of it for the duration of my stay.
Room - Bed frame. Time to transition to hotel bed frames. You need to have industrial frames, which are solid from the box frame to the floor, so no items can sneak underneath. Its just cleaner and easier for all.
Room - Stove light bulb. No light bulb upon arrival, along with two lamp bulbs burnt out.
Room - Fluorescent lighting. I know fluorescent is energy efficient, but the lighting was awful. Very cold and unflattering.
Room - Plastic bag on smoke detector. Upon arrival, there was a plastic bag rubber banned around the smoke detector. I have encountered this before in my hotel experience, it is from previous smoking guests not wanting the alarm to go off.
Amenity - Lotion. Would be a good freebie.
Property - Common stairwell. I am a stair kind of guy, and your stairs were gross. Uncarpeted and cold, there was lots of debris and dust on the sides and in the corners. I for some reason always felt a little unsafe in them too, I found a few people to be lurking.

Despite a few minor issues, overall my stay was very pleasant. , I was comfortable in my guest room, and appreciate your accommodations during my visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Rosa - North, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
James – I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your fully equipped kitchen, free Wi-Fi and our grab-and-go breakfast. As well, I am happy that you found our night staff to be courteous and friendly. Still, I apologize that you experienced some odor and cleanliness issues during your stay. I will be sure to meet with our housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. As well, I am sorry that members of our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. Your feedback will be very useful as we continue to improve our guest experience.

If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at SRN@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Late arrival, pleasant service, efficient and cost effective. This Extended Stay is clean and convenient for local business with proximity to the Redwood Highway and the ride back to the Bay Area. For business or slightly longer stay in the neighborhood, this ExStay is just fine.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Rosa - North, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Mike - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your clean, comfortable room, our staff's service and our hotel's location. We hope to see you again soon.
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great stay can not find anything to complain about, wish there was a pool but that is it. That Rebekah lady at the front is the icing on the cake if I had a problem she fixed it as soon as possible, with absolutely no issues! Overall the hotel is a great location, close to the mall and other shopping areas. Minutes from downtown but just far enough to be away from crime. Upon check in the bathrooms were spotless the room looked tidy and smelt great. I have never had a problem with finding a parking spot, there are plenty open. Whenever mail comes in the front desk promptly calls the receiving party to inform them that they have mail. I have read a couple average to negative reviews on here and I can not figure out why. I have never experienced any rude staff members or bad odors. Its a clean, friendly, safe hotel.I recommend this place I have had nothing but a positive experience here. Only improvements I would recommend would be to hire more employees like Rebekah she really knows her stuff and makes all the guests feel like they are at home. Come stay here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Rosa - North, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I am pleased to hear that the location of our hotel was ideal for your stay. We strive to provide exceptional customer service, so I am very pleased to hear that Rebekah and our staff provided our standard of service. Also, it is great that you found your guest room and our overall hotel to be clean and comfortable. I will be sure to let the staff know of your kind words regarding our hotel and service.

Ballwin, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Upon checking in the clerk said we were on the third floor, that they had smoking rooms on this floor but ours was not a smoking room. Yes, as we walking down the floor smoke was evident, entering room none until we used the bathroom which must share the ventiation system via fan from other rooms. Also had to think smoke entered thru air conditioner. Would suggest they keep a separate floor for smokers. Personal was good except when we wanted to checked out Monday morning 8/26 at 7:15 am none to be found. Asked the day before if someone would be there to check out and they assured me there would be someone. Room was very large with king bed, very nice, kitchen ok, coffee in lobby quite good.

Room Tip: If smoke bothers you, ask for floor of non smoking on entire floor. Would like to think they could s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Rosa - North, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Sue - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you noticed a smoke odor in the hotel hallways as well as your room and that our staff was not available to check you out. At this time, our maintenance staff is working to eliminate the smell and will keep your recommendations in mind as we continue to ensure our smoking rooms do not affect those staying in our non-smoking ones. As well, I am reviewing responsibilities with the front desk staff to ensure they are visible throughout the day.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at srn@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Broomfield, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Overall, we would likely return. The pull out sofa bed was horrendous, leaving our son to sleep on the floor. The cooling system was great, however, I feel it would better serve tenants if the bed(room) furniture were in that back area and the living space furniture were in the front area off the kitchen. Try it!
The hotel was way too under staffed for being completely booked. The poor manager was stuck trying to tend to everything from maintenance issues to fresh towels, to arrivals. I felt bad. Our fridge did not work. This, of course, becomes known to us AFTER we stock it and leave for the day. We were reimbursed for all the spoilage, in cash!
The manager removed the fridge and replaced it with a working one, herself!!
This does not show much professionalism as to the hotel nor does it show that the hotel has their customers best interest in mind.
Beef up your staff, require front desk staff to dress professionally and leave dish soap in the kitchenettes, so that the tenants don't have to leave all their dirty dishes for your already short staff. ;-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Rosa - North, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the sofa bed in your room was unclean and that the refrigerator did not work properly. Still, I am very glad that our Manager was able to remedy the situation by reimbursing you for spoilage and replacing the fridge in a timely manner.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your survey. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at srn@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived at the hotel around 1:30pm. Because our confirmation email didn't list when the check-in time was, so we decided to try and check in. The front desk person, Marla, was very ill mannered and unhelpful. She told us very rudely that the check in time was not until 3. When we told her we were pressed for time to attend a wedding that afternoon and very politely asked her if there was any possibility we would be accommodated, she started being very defensive and told us there was no chance. When we returned at 3, another person (Rebekah) was extremely polite and helpful; however, when Rebekah was assisting with our check-in process, Marla kept interrupting us asking her how to clean one of the facilities and also if Rebekah had clocked her (Marla) out yet. We were all very uncomfortable with the situation.

Again, the next morning when we came down for the grab and go breakfast, while we were standing there deciding what to get, Marla started bringing everything into the staff breakroom. Even when we were getting some coffee, she took the tray with the creamers and sweeteners into the breakroom. We had to ask for permission to get them in there. After we were done, while walking down the hallway, I could hear her slam the breakroom door.

Overall, it was a very bad experience. I would not stay in any of your Extended Stay hotels and/or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Rosa - North, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The attitude you described is certainly not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am talking to each front desk staff regarding the importance of being attentive to the guests' needs and making the guests feel more at home. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me directly at srn@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Santa Rosa - North? Share your experiences!