“What a fabulous place with such a homely atmosphere.” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 404 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Sam’s For Play Cafe & Catering serves delicious American Home Style food in a casual comfortable atmosphere. The intention since creating Sam’s in 1985 has always been to have a place where everyone can have a good time and enjoy a good meal.
Bournemouth
“What a fabulous place with such a homely atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Whilst travelling - stumbled upon this place and went for breakfast. What a find! Great talking to two of the staff also who had worked there for over 14 years - the waiting staff that is - all the servers seemed so happy in their employment - must have a good boss! I am going there again this evening for prime roast rib of beef before we head on south. My husband had a full breakfast - yummy - with lashings of homemade salsa. I decided to go for a soup and sandwich option with coffee. A lovely bowl of clam and shrimp chowder and a 'salad' sandwich on wheat bread. The salad filling of alfalfa sprouts, cheese, gherkin, advocado, mayo, tomatoes, etc. was so huge I had to cut it up to get into my mouth. Beautifully presented and very tasty. Excellent coffee, excellent service and the 'regulars' coming in and out. A wonderful welcome to Santa Rosa, California. If only we could have places like this in the U.K. Well done Sam's !!

• Visited April 2013

Sebastopol, California
“Best hole in the wall ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Amazing home cooking! Best breakfast ever!!! This is definitely not a place to dress up..keep your PJ's on and come down for breakfast. Be aware that of the wait on the weekends but hang in there.. It is worth it!

“Outstanding food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I have been going to SAMs a few times per month . This has been the best most consistent food for breakfast and lunch I have ever had . This is also the fastest service I have ever seen . Outstanding place to eat ....although I would probably pass on the hotel behind it

Graton, CA
“Just what you'd hope for in a classic American Coffee Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have to admit that it took us a few years to ever try this restaurant even though we live only a few miles away. First was the silly name; who wants to take their family to a place apparently based on a sexual innuendo? Well, I get the strong impression that the "foreplay" joke is completely unintentional, in fact it's possible they still don't get it, even though I'm sure somebody must have pointed it out to them. Second the location of the place is fairly obscure, on a not-so-busy boulevard in the shadow of a motel which in turn is in the shadow of a big freeway. But once you actually get in the door, the experience is terrific.

It is a perfect "Coffee Shop" -- in fact the first thing our waitress asked us when we sat down for lunch was whether we wanted "coffee all round." The menu is extensive but does not stray far from the classic American food line-up, so it's "safe" for the less adventurous eater, but the quality of the materials seems first rate. My son had a breakfast entrée which was very well put together, I had a good club sandwich with a salad on the side, my wife some soup, and my daughter a generous mountain of flapjacks. The prices are very good considering the amount of food we were served, and the decor is an amusing hotchpotch of posters and kitchenware from the 1940s through the 1960s. The service was attentive and prompt, and we were out the door in good time with everyone feeling well fed.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Texarkana, Texas
“Great food, great for toddlers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took my 18 month old grandson with me for dinner. The waitstaff and every one else was so great from the time we entered to the time we left everyone kept him happy. Extra rolls. extra attention. extra fun Sam's had it all. I enjoyed my dinner and my grandson stayed in his high chair and had a great time. Thanks Sam's for making us both happy.

• Visited November 2012