“Bad service, front desk attitude, forgettable. ” 3 of 5 stars

Vintners Inn
4350 Barnes Rd., Santa Rosa, CA 95403   |
Ranked #1 of 26 hotels in Santa Rosa
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Bad service, front desk attitude, forgettable. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Was very disappointed with our stay. This was the 2nd of 3 places my wife and I stayed during our week in CA to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. The first was the Madrona Manor in Healdsburg, which was outstanding, top notch all the way, the 3rd was the orchard hotel in San Fran which was also very nice. The expectations were high for Vintners after reading the many positive reviews and after staying at the Madrona Manor. We arrived at the Inn on Mon, Sept 23rd at approximately 1:30. Greeted with a condescending tone and attitude from Hannah. Understanding that we were early for check in I was hoping that possibily the room was ready. It was explained to us by Hannah that the room was not ready, check in was at 4pm and that she would call us when the room was ready. Maybe it was that we weren't the typical age of the regulars at the Inn being in our late 30's or possibly it was because we were casually dressed. Either way, we were not spoken to as guests more like we were doing her a favor by being there. Being in the service industry myself, she should learn the power of using positive language rather than negative. "here's what I can do for you" instead of "here's what I can't." We left with the assumption that she would call us like she said. No call. Came back at exactly 4pm and she stated, oh, your room is ready now. Totally unacceptable. 2nd problem. During our second day in our room we were interested in opening a bottle of wine we had bought at a local winery, noticed there was not an opener in the room. Called the front desk. Klinton answered and said there should be one in the room, there wasn't, and that he would have someone come right up with one. 20 minutes later, nothing. I walked down to the front desk and asked Klinton for the opener we requested, he stated...Sure, here's one but can you make sure I get it back. What? Are you kidding me? No apology. Unreal. Customer service 101. "sorry about that, let me get you one right away". Totally unacceptable. Otherwise, the grounds are ok but not as well taken care of as you'd think. Weeds growing in beds, flower beds not completely cut out. Restaurant was average to above average but nothing to rush back for. Best thing about our stay was when we checked out. The front desk employee, Priscilla, was extremely nice.....if only everyone we encountered was as nice. I actually filled out our comment card and forgot to leave it at the hotel but wanted to share our experience as it was very forgettable. Sorry Vintners Inn but you lost a couple customers and we will be sure to let others know.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I am so sorry you had a less than satisfactory stay with us. I've spoken with both Hannah and Klinton about their conversations with you. Definitely not the attitude we wish to convey. Please believe me it was not your age, how you were dressed or what time you arrived. Vintners Inn has spectacular guests ranging in age from early twenties to a beautiful birthday girl turning 85 this past week. Guests from all walks of life from all points of the planet. Early check ins do present a challenge to us and we do our best to accommodate early requests. If a phone call was promised it should have been delivered. Vintners Inn is not for everyone but we certainly don't want to turn people off because of our failure to make all of our guests feel welcome and special. I'm so glad the rest of your 10th anniversary trip was up to your expectations. Sue

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Hurst, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I recently stayed here for a weekend event. It was wonderful, the Staff were very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. Good location with access to MANY Wineries in the area.

The event was catered by them also and they did a wonderful job with the meals and activities.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are in great locations - there were 3-4 buildings with several rooms within each an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Washougal, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and was truly pleased during our stay. The room is exceptional! It was large and beautifully decorated. The grounds are intimate and gorgeous. We got a deal from Travelzoo and it was well worth it. The only complain I would have during our stay was the neighbor upstairs. Being on the bottom floor, we know we were going to tolerate heavy footsteps but dragging the metal chair through the stone patio was a bit much. Good thing it soon stopped and all we had left was heavy footsteps.

Vintners inn management pride themselves with high quality customer services and they have every right to be. During our stay, everyone from the hotel was friendly and helpful. However, I do believe this pride might have prevent them from accepting the occasional mishaps. I had a terrible experiences on the phone with one of the front end staff before the trip. I emailed the management and asked for explanation. They quickly assume the fault was mine alone. While I understand there are many rude and obnoxious customers out there looking for opportunities to scheme a freebie, assuming your customers is wrong right off the bat was unheard of. It had really tainted my experiences with them. I do believe it was one of those rare occasions when people are under-pressure or simply just having a bad day, because I think they had try their very best to make sure our stay was nice and pleasant. I thank you for such an effort and look forward to another visit!

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room to avoid heavy footsteps.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Merchantville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel property is very nice. However, the Inn is a bit dated. We arrived around 8 pm and the check in was very easy. No bell staff was available so had to drag our luggage in the dark to find the building where our room was located. If you have not been to the Inn before, it is difficult to see the building numbers at night. We were on the second floor and there are no elevators so we had to drag our luggage up the stairs. We stayed 4 nights and did enjoy the room and view of the vineyards. Breakfast was wonderful, we ate at the restaurant twice . The food was delicious and the service was excellent. There is a very small fitness center with 2 treadmills, an elliptical and some hand weights. The king size bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. I would stay there again, but only on the first floor.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor with a view of the vineyard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. The good news about the decor is it's in the works for this coming winter. We of course hope you'll come visit us again and by then should see a fresher look in the rooms. Sue
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at Vintners Inn. We were in the area to visit family.
The staff was friendly and welcoming. The food was outstanding. We ate breakfast there daily and dinner once. The jaccuzzi was a great respite. The beds were most comfortable and the AC
kept us cool in 100 degree heat. I can think of nothing at all to complain about, which is saying something for me. I highly reccomend this inn to anybody looking for a getaway or a home base to visit the area

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
How nice of you, thank you for your very kind words. Have I mentioned before that we have the best guests in Sonoma Wine Country?! Sue
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We planned a wedding elopement to Sonoma and based on the reviews picked the Vintner's for our stay and ceremony. We could not have been happier. The property was beautiful, the staff was fantastic and the food at the John Ash was top notch. Deanette did an outstanding job of helping us make arrangements for our ceremony and coordinated everything onsite for us. We cannot say enough about the staff who were sincere and attentive and very accommodating. Obviously for something special as a wedding, the location and grounds are very important, Vintner's hits a home run.

If you have a choice, choose the pavilion for your ceremony, it's more picturesque then the gazebo but you can't go wrong with either. After our ceremony, Deanette had arranged a cake and champagne in the fireside room which was very nice and then we had dinner at John Ash.

We had plenty of great wine and food during our stay and I would rate the dinner and service at John Ash as one of the best. Don't be fooled by the "quiet and cozy" villas, the bar can get crowded and a reservation for John Ash is probably a good idea.

I disagree with a previous review on the quality of the room, ours was very nice and spacious, plenty of room and nicely appointed. Each patio is more private then what I expected it to be. Our room was in the 300 villa and faced the back corner and vineyard. Coffee bars outside the rooms in each villa lobby is a nice touch. The breakfast in the cafe is fantastic. We stayed in a first floor room and given the wedding we probably spent more time in the room the first evening and the second day given the fact the ceremony was onsite and we did not notice any excessive noise or issues, we thought the place was quiet and relaxing. We didn't use it but the fireplace in the room was a nice touch. We are both seasoned travelers for both business and pleasure and the Vintners is easily worth the price and should be considered upscale lodgings.

We spent a day in the Calistoga area, getting there was a snap and we really enjoyed Healdsburg which was a quick 10 minutes down the freeway.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place was fantastic! The location only has 40-somethings rooms, all ample and beautifully kept. The pictures just don't do it justice. The resort is set in a breathtakingly beautiful garden and the staff is beyond helpful.

We had a small balcony overlooking the center court that was perfect for enjoying room service at breakfast. We also received complimentary bottle of wine and tasty cookies with our turn down service.

We visited the restaurant on site for dinner, John Ash & Co., and it was delicious and elegant.

Overall, no complaints and we will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Vintners Inn? Share your experiences!