“Solid choice with a great location” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4350 Barnes Rd., Santa Rosa, CA 95403   |
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Solid choice with a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We chose this property due to its location in Sonoma. The property is next to a hwy 101 on-ramp which actually was a positive as it made exploring Sonoma that much easier. While on the property we did not notice its proximity to the hwy. The property itself is nicely manicured and provides just enough to do while you are not wine tasting. There is a small fitness room with 3 cardio machines, jogging trail around a vineyard, bocce ball and a hot tub with a few lounge chairs. There is a full breakfast menu to choose from and the restaurant is a fine choice for dinner. The rooms are large, very clean and very comfortable. The ground floor units each have a small patio to relax on. The staff was pleasant and the front desk can provide you with a number of vouchers for area wineries.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We found a package deal for this property and were blown away by its beauty. It has vineyards all around and the buildings are of the Tuscan style. The front desk was very helpful although we arrived 3 hours early they gave us directions to their sister property the Ferrari Carano Winery along with a voucher for free tastings until our room was ready. She took my cell number and contacted me when it was ready early. The rooms were well appointed and the grounds were impeccable. This was truly a romantic getaway. The breakfast was good but their scones made it something to remember, lightest I have ever tasted.

Room Tip: We had lower level which was nice since we could walk out our patio door and be near the gorgeous fl...
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Wow, thank you for sharing such nice comments. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. What a great time of year to visit us with everything blooming and the vineyards leafing out. Sonoma County is a little slice of heaven and to have all of these fabulous wineries, great restaurants and lodging facilities so easy to get to, you definitely picked the right special to take advantage of and we thank you again. Hope to see you in the near future. Sue
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I just stayed here to celebrate our 24th anniversary. We had an upstairs room with a fireplace, balcony and jacuzzi. The room was beautiful and comfortable, the grounds are stunning, and the service was beyond expectations....even cookies delivered to the room late afternoon (to go with the complementary bottle of wine!). The restaurant on the property had amazing food and a wonderfully romantic atmosphere; and again, the service was remarkable. We went biking one afternoon through the nearby vineyards and countryside; we went right out the front door to great cycling. We can't wait to find an excuse to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our beautiful romantic getaway began upon our arrival at Vintner's Inn. The scrupulously manicured, lush landscape of this Tuscan style property was reminiscent of our time spent in Italy's wine country. We were greeted by charming reception staff who graciously extended their efforts to make our stay second to none. Our spacious second floor king room was tastefully decorated and included the comfort of a wood burning fireplace, large tub, vanity, balcony overlooking the vineyards, a bottle of Ferrari-Carano wine. We took advantage of strolling the jogging trail through the vineyards, exercising in the fitness room, dining in The Front Room bar, booked a couples massage and even indulged in the outdoor jacuzzi despite the rain! The highlight of our wine tasting experience was the trip to Ferrari-Carano winery reserved for us by the staff at the Vintner's Inn. We would have missed this rare gem if it weren't for their recommendation. A special thanks to Priscilla for going out of her way to make us feel at home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Vintner's Inn in August for a family wedding. The Family Suite was superb! The room was very spacious and well appointed. There was plenty of room for my husband and myself, and our two boys. We were located near the hot tub and walking paths in the vineyard. The staff was very knowledgeable and took very good care of us. The breakfast each morning in the onsite restaurant was delicious, and portions were large enough for two! The wedding arrangements were gorgeous, and the food served was wonderful. This is a terrific location for a wedding, as well as a relaxing vacation. I would definitely stay here again when I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Smyrna, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Vintner's Inn is everything it claims to be on its website. Large, clean up to date rooms on a sprawling site, complete with meeting facilites and a fine restaurant. All that said, it lacks personality and seems oddly disconnected from the wine country its clients are there to see. The hotel is right (and I mean right) off the highway. The staff is friendly and helpful, but usually wears that Northern California smirk when dealing with customers that is a bit off-putting. The restaurant John Ash was very good but nothing was exceptional. The rooms were large and airy, but the sound proofiing could have been better. Upstairs noise (walking on the floors, having some couple's private, etc.) drifted into our lower room a little too often, so I would recommend requesting an upper room). All in all very good but at the hotel's price point that is to be expected.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room due to noise travelling through the floors.
Manhattan Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I bought the TravelZoo deal for this hotel. The deal was $450 + tax for two nights, plus a $75 dinner voucher at the John Ash & Co Restaurant, and a couple of wine tasting coupons. When I called months ahead to book the room that I wanted, Mikala, one of the front desk staff, said they cannot promise me that the room that I wanted would be available. I did not find her to be very friendly. There are a lot of nice things about this hotel, and I would like to give a fair review. Here are the pros and cons that I found:

PROS: Check-in went smoothly, the Concierge, Ryan, was the best! He generously offered me 2-for-1 coupons for many wineries, including the ones that I requested. The hotel has boxes and boxes of 2-for-1 coupons for the wineries, so make sure you ask them for them. The other front desk staff person did not offer these coupons to me on her own.

The hotel grounds are very pretty and nicely landscaped with colorful flowers and shrubs. I had requested the corner room in building further from the freeway because I had read in the reviews that this building would be quieter. I got a room in the building I requested, but I did not get the room I requested. The room was quiet at night, which was great. I thought the room was very nice, spacious, clean, the bed comfortable and the room had a nice view of the vineyard.

CONS: Everything was going great until about 5pm, when suddenly the room filled with the smell of gas and smoke. I thought maybe they had started a BBQ on the grounds. This was the only reason that I could think of for smelling this odor. I hoped that once the BBQ got going, that the smell would become less or maybe the wind would carry the odors away.

It ends up that the smell was from one of the fireplaces in an adjacent room. Many of the rooms here have fireplaces, including the room that I stayed in. The problem is that I was getting a gassy, smoky smell in the room when my fireplace was not on. I realized that the smell was coming from one of the adjacent rooms! I had just arrived in town that day and I was really too exhausted to complain or think about it at the time. At that time I was tired after a day of traveling and I did not feel like changing rooms, and repacking my clothes & belongings in order to switch rooms.

The next day I had a guest visiting me at the hotel. At about 5pm, when we were relaxing in the room, the smoky & gassy smell filled the room again. My guest commented, "what's that smell?!" I told her that I thought that the smell was one from a lit fireplace in an adjacent room. She said, "Wow, that's terrible!"

I told my guest, that if it wasn't for that smell this would be a great hotel. Due to that odor, this becomes a below-average hotel. The smell of smoke and gas in the room is totally unacceptable for a nice hotel.

When I told the manager, Mike, about this smell, he was dismissive. He did not help me in any way. He told me that if I had told him earlier, he would have let me switch rooms. I did not tell him that Pricilla at the front desk had already told me that the hotel was sold out for the weekend and all the rooms taken.
After one weekend at the Vintner's Inn in Santa Rosa, my main problems with this hotel were the service and the smell in the room. A good hotel should not, in no way, have a smoky, gas smell in the room. They need fix the fireplace ventilation system in this hotel. Also, the gas smell could possibly be dangerous to one's health.

The other problem: the service. From the beginning of my interactions with the staff at this hotel, I felt that because I had the TravelZoo voucher / deal, they were treating me like I was a second class citizen. From my first encounter with Mikala on the phone, I felt like she was somewhat unfriendly with trying to help me once I told her that I had the TravelZoo voucher.

Many of the staff at this hotel should learn that just because a customer has a Voucher or an on-line deal, you should not treat those customers with the voucher differently than full-paying customers. One of the important points of the on-line deals is that your business is getting advertising and publicity by offering these on-line deals. By getting people to come try the hotel at a discounted price, your hopes should be to build a following of loyal customers who enjoy staying at your hotel and who want to return year after year.

If I had a better experience at this hotel, I would definitely considered retuning there again. I love Sonoma County and Napa Valley! I already have plans to return to the area in May with a group of 15 friends for the Bottle Rock concert series.

If this hotel had provided better, friendlier and warmer service and if there had not been a gas smell in room, I would definitely have come to stay here again. But due to how the circumstances were, I would not come to stay here again. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a building away from the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I am so sorry that your stay was marred by the smell of smoke and a less than friendly, warm reception. I can only guess that wind conditions may have contributed to this or an open window or door. We are actually in the process of checking and upgrading the chimney caps and have just started our annual chimney cleaning. The smell of gas, however, has me puzzled because there is no gas service in the guest buildings. I forwarded this to our maintenance department for comment. Regarding your feelings that you were treated differently because you had a Travelzoo voucher is just not the case. We value all of our guests and have enjoyed a fabulous relationship with all of our Travelzoo guests, many of whom have become frequent visitors. I'm sorry if you felt differently, I have addressed this with everyone at the front desk. If you wish to give us another try in the future, please call me directly so I can assist you with your reservation. Thank you Sue

Been to Vintners Inn? Share your experiences!