“Wine Country Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
San Rafael, California
“Wine Country Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I only spent a night here, but felt far, far away from our daily lives and left refreshed the next day. Our room was spacious, well laid out and had a small balcony overlooking a courtyard. Other rooms overlook a vineyard. The furnishings, bedding, etc. were all of very high quality. We dined at the restaurant on site, John Ash & Co. Our drinks at the bar were well made and delicious. We were seated in the dining room looking out at the vines and the sunset, absolutely beautiful. Our meal was great and the chef came out to greet some of the diners. We had a lovely night at the Vintner's Inn and I look forward to going back.

SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again. Sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have had the pleasure of staying at this location twice. It is a perfect starting point for a wine country weekend, and a perfect place to come back after a day on the road wine tasting. Location is perfect, staff is excellent, grounds are stellar and rooms are large and comfortable. Our rooms have been ground floor rooms, with relaxing patios and plenty of room to store our purchases :) I recommend wandering down the 'jogging path', and relaxing in the hot tub. Breakfast was an excellent treat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a really welcoming, comfortable, and enjoyable place to stay for the Russian River and/or upper Sonoma valley wine regions. Appearances when approaching are deceptive, but make the heart sink. Just off a busy freeway and directly opposite a huge electric transformer substation, it looks like it could be very noisy and disappointing. In fact, the rooms are really comfortable, the staff extremely helpful, the restaurant (John Ash & Co.) superb, and the views agreeably relaxing (across small but picturesque vineyards, or into a very pleasant courtyard with a nice fountain that helps mask freeway sounds).

Room Tip: Ask for one on the side opposite the freeway if available.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We LOVED our entire experience at Vintner's Inn!!! The Inn had a lovely view of the vineyards, and even though it was close to the highway we never heard traffic. ( In fact, it was quite a convenient location to everything. We could just jump on the freeway and go exploring.) The staff was so welcoming upon arrival. They treated us to passes to wineries, a bottle of wine, and chocolates. Fresh coffee was waiting outside our room every morning- which was such a bonus! THe food was incredible, as well. We are hoping to stay there again on our next trip out there!!

Room Tip: The inn has clusters of rooms- the first floor is ideal.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife booked us at the Vintner based on the family friendly rating it had on tripadvisor. I am not sure how that rating is generated because, not only was it unfriendly for our family, it was an unsafe place for a toddler. They placed us in a second floor room, in a building with only a very narrow staircase, not a friendly move to start with. The room contained not the pack and play we requested but an antiquated crib, strike two. The room had windows that started a few inches from the floor and had no bars, a serious falling hazard. When I brought these things up the woman at the desk told me there was no place to move us in a very dismissive manner, strike three. My wife then spoke with the manager who was even ruder and less helpful than the woman at the front desk. I am glad it was just one night but it was not a fun one. Avoid this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Unfortunately we weren't the right fit for you. While we do have many families stay with us, we're probably better suited to the business traveler or the romantic getaway. I'm sorry if you perceived us as being rude, that is never acceptable. Sue
Folsom, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Loved the hotel for its decor and comfort, And a patio over looking the vinyard was nice, but noisy. You hear the freeway and depending upon the time of day and wind direction, its annoying. No Elevators!!! (even a LIFT for luggage would be nice). However, no notice of such at check in!!! Plus, no offer to assist, such as a bellman or a cart at check in!!! We do tip! The Front desk should ask if you need help (if its available). Our room was over 415$ - for that price help should be at least available. Jon Ash restaurant was fabulous and the service at the bar and restaurant was excellent. Room service was extremly fast and food wonderful and hot, great for breakfast room service! If you plan on releaxing without the hum of the freeway, then find another place. However, its a nice hotel and if you get a travel deal, the price discount may make the noise a bit less annoying.

Room Tip: No elevators/have room face west may help buffer freeway noise.???
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
I'm sorry you weren't informed that we don't have elevators. We do have a bell staff and their services should have been offered to you. I have reminded everyone at the front desk that this is standard procedure, so I apologize that it was missed during your check in. We do acknowledge that if you are noise sensitive or if you like to sleep with the window ajar you may hear the highway. Should you decide to give us another try, call me directly so I can help select a room that may be better suited for you. I'm so glad you enjoyed the food from John Ash & Co and our breakfast. We hope to see you again. Sue
San Carlos,CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We had stayed here once before and, in general, really enjoyed it. When I spotted a travelzoo special for this place I bought it immediately. It was a great deal with reduced room price, a discount on John Ash (an excellent restaurant), and two free wine tours and tastings included. I booked the room months in advance .I tried to get the same room I'd had before since I'd bought the same category of room (upstairs king) but was told only people who book a suite can choose a particular room. So I asked for the quietest and best room available and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately, crossing your fingers doesn't work that well.

At first glance, the room seemed ok. Their upstairs king rooms are quite large and have a fireplace and balcony. Ours faced the outdoor jacuzzi which I wasn't thrilled about but I figured I'd be alright. Fast forward to bedtime. There is a huge difference between the different buildings as far as noise is concerned. We were in building 3--specifically room 312. It is super noisy at night plus it faces the jacuzzi ,so no privacy during the day.We were in building 2 at our last visit. Well, building 3 must block the freeway noise for building 2 plus there are no fountains close to this room ,so I could hear cars whizzing by until late at night. Also, they have not improved the pillows at all even though I had mentioned how bad they are in a previous review. We had come in a small car (a porsche) so no room for extra pillows. The pillows are like hard, square rocks--absolutely the worst pillows I've ever slept on. I ended up getting about 2-3 hours a sleep, so I was not a happy camper in the morning. My husband had brought earplugs so slept through all the racket. I don't think I should have to bring earplugs to a hotel. So, I told my husband I was very unhappy and he went to talk to the manager.

This is how they ended up getting a very good review from me. The manager was very accommodating and switched us to the room we had for our first visit in building 2. This room looks identical except that it faces the vineyard (pretty and more private) and it is 100 times quieter at night. They also gave us better pillows--the same size but much softer. The only problem with the room was the fireplace didn't vent properly. We ended up with a slight smoky smell in the room from the fireplace which gave my husband a headache. They really need to fix that. I told the employee at the front desk and he made up an excuse about it being cold which didn't let the smoke go out that well. I'm not buying that excuse. If they fix the fireplace, that room will be absolutely perfect.

We had dinner at John Ash on Sunday evening and it was absolutely perfect from start to finish. The food and service were both great. What made it even better was our discount on the meal since we usually pay full price when we go there. The booths are very nice and comfortable.

We used the jacuzzi at the hotel which still needs some work. Last time we came it had one jet that squirted all over. That has been fixed and the temperature is nice and hot but the jets barely dribble out anything at all ,so it's almost like sitting in a regular bathtub that's much larger than normal with your bathingsuit on. It would be nice to see that fixed as well. We are wine club members of Ferrari Carano (they own the inn) and several other wineries as well, so we come up often. We just end up staying at different places.

If Vintners Inn would let me pick a particular room, fix the fireplace, and fix the jacuzzi I would be a much more frequent visitor. I generally only book a suite if it's my birthday or anniversary. I think if you call up months in advance you should be able to choose but that's not the policy right now.

Room Tip: Stay away from building 3 unless you're facing the inner courtyard. The freeway noise is quite...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Hi Jan - as I mentioned in my response directly to you, I'm so sorry you didn't like 312, it really is one of our most popular rooms. Whoever you spoke with at the front desk who said you can only select your room by booking a junior suite mis-spoke. We only have 5 junior suites each with a full or partial vineyard view. All of our other rooms have courtyard, garden or vineyard views and with only 44 rooms, it's impossible to guarantee a room, we do our best to honor requests. All guests should always feel free to ask for replacement pillows, we do have foam pillows in the closets if those are more comfortable for you. As I mentioned in my note to you, the Jacuzzi is a work horse and may have seen better days but maintenance is aware of your comment and is working on it. Finally, I have spoken with the front desk coaching them in how to answer guest questions or concerns. Thanks for helping to make this a learning experience for them. Please feel free to call me directly should you need assistance with a reservation. Sue

Been to Vintners Inn? Share your experiences!