“Anniversary dinner was great” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 29 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 449 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Riley Street
Transit: Downtown transit mall is three blocks away, taxis and pedi-cabs available.
Description: Bistro 29 located in downtown Santa Rosa, Sonoma County. Bistro 29 is a traditional bistro specializing in “Breton” regional cuisine. The number 29 comes from the department of Finistère (end of the earth) located in the upper tip of north-west France. Known for the Galette de blé noir (traditional buckwheat crêpe) and sweet crêpes, Bretagne also uses a variety of local seafood and produce that can easily be found in and around northern California.
Richmond, California
“Anniversary dinner was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to B29 last night to celebrate our 15th anniversary. I made a point of checking out the restroom; it was perfectly clean. Now to the rest of our report. My wife loves butter lettuce and had that salad, which she loved. She particularly liked the dressing. I love French onion soup and theirs was very good. Cider gave it a sweet taste, and I would prefer it less sweet, but it was still good. There was a second soup (cucumber) which I was initially served- my fault because I said soup and didn't specify, but they changed the soup with no muss or fuss. My wife had a lamb shank with mashed potatoes and I had daube of beef with asparagus and croquettes of cheese and potatoes. Both meats were super tender and had sauces we thought were excellent. We've been joking today, sort of an Abbott and Costello routine: my dish was better, no mine was, finally concluding that we each ordered the right dish for ourselves! We ordered a 500 ml carafe of a French wine for $18, quite good. My wife doesn't like much red wine and I am pretty particular about the ones I like, so finding an inexpensive wine which we both liked is unusual. We finished by sharing a crepe with chocolate ganash and banana. Not as good as some we've has in Paris, but quite good. Service was excellent. If I could, I would rate at 4 1/2 stars

Visited July 2014

“Over Rated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Really bad experience here -- food was not good, service mediocre -- reviews must come from owners relatives and friends. There are so many better choices in the area.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Canton OH
“Wow. Wow. Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We have eaten in a lot of great places around the world, and this one is right up in the top 10. In Northern California for exploring wine country, my wife and I stopped in here last Saturday and were both delighted. She had a beef and I had lamb shank, and we shared their signature fig toffee pudding for dessert. We were so delighted we went back tonight, 3 days later. She had perfectly done scallops, while I started with shortbreads then onto a snapper with clam dish. Again, absolutely perfectly done. The wine list is both local California and French, since it is a French style bistro. Both nights we chose local wines, with advice from the server, and were quite happy. Very good service, and very very reasonable pricing for true world class dining. If we lived locally we would be here enough to know every dish and every server personally.

• Visited June 2014
milpitasca
“Cute Little Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We get to Santa Rosa about twice a year. For many, many years we have dined at John Ash. We really wanted a new spot, so I looked on Trip Advisor. We dined on a Tuesday evening and about 60% of the tables were filled. We had a lot of space between us and the nearest table and it was very quiet. The decor is cute and somewhat reminded me of France. Corkage fee was $15. We choose the escargots and they were presented in a soup bowl "swimming" in a parsley broth - quite unusual, but tasty. The one thing I did not like was that the French bread was just plunked down on the butcher paper covered table instead of being served on a plate. I thought it was tacky and I have never witnessed any bread being dropped on the table in France in 40 years of visiting! I decided on the lamb shank and it was wonderful - falling off the bone, flavorful, and tender. My husband had the duck cassoulet and enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was too salty, but the duck was lovely. We shared a fig dessert that was quite nice. We both really enjoyed finding a new dining spot with unusual, tasty foods.

• Visited May 2014
San Diego, California
“delicious french cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

came here with my family last weekend. i had the salmon special with peas and cous cous. it was delicious! great wine selection as well. would highly recommend.

• Visited May 2014