“Unacceptable Customer Relations/Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Gateway Inn

Save Saved
You added Ocean Gateway Inn to your Saves list
Ocean Gateway Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   350 South Peck Road, Santa Paula, CA 93060 (Formerly Travelodge)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Santa Paula
Fairfield, California
“Unacceptable Customer Relations/Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My reservation was made through a web site; therefore, I had no contact with the Inn personnel as far as the rate was concerned. However, there had been a few e-mail clarification messages that went on after the reservation between the manager and myself, which I appreciated, due to a cancellation for one room. No discussion of the room rates took place, though.

Upon checking in, I presented my temporary AARP card which I printed off the web site after joining two days before my scheduled arrival at the Inn. (I am aware that AARP members get a 10% discount at hotels; was also told by the Inn personnel that they give 5% discount when I inquired over the phone after my AARP membership was confirmed.) The manager ignored my AARP card. He did not say anything about it until I asked him for the discount. His response, without taking a look at the breakdown of the charges, was that it was already included in the rate I was getting. He spoke as if insinuating that I just wanted more of what I already got which he had not proven to be true. Consequently, he destroyed instead of established a good business-customer relationship. It was clear he did not want to honor the AARP discount that was stated on their own web site. He could have said it nicely and simply without upsetting me. I thought this was a way of showing how cheap the management could be.

By the way, I ended up getting two rooms anyway but that was the last time I would set foot in a place where printed words are not honored and tales told instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I decided to stay here as a way to save money on our weekend in Santa Barbara. We checked in @ 330 PM. We took our belongings to the room and then drove to the coast and spent the day in SB. We returned around 9pm and wanted to relax. We went to sleep about 11pm with plans to return to SB the next day. Well, around 2am we woke up from the constant itching from bed bug bites. We turned on the lights and found around 5 big bed bugs crawling on our bed and pillows. I smashed one and it literally popped and squirted blood all over my pillow!! Gross!! We immediately got up and got dressed, packed up our stuff and went to the front desk to tell the receptionist. She looked at us with disbelief and doubted that we found bugs in our room...she had the nerve to ask why we would check in at 3 and wait until 2am to report the problem and said "sorry, there's nothing I can do". We suggested she go to the room and look at the bed for herself and we demanded a full refund. After making a phone call she finally agreed to refund half of our money?!? We insisted we get a FULL refund because we refuse to pay 90 dollars a night to become an all you can eat buffet for these gross parasites to feed on. The woman went to our room and looked for herself then she returned and then agreed to refund our full amount. So, our weekend was ruined. Now I drove back to L.A at 2am and cut our mini vacation short due to this problem. We shook off our belongings before we left and I hope we didn't bring any tiny hitchhikers back home with us.

• Stayed August 2012
OGI350, Manager at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
I am so sorry to hear that you had a terrible experience at our hotel. Our goal is to always make sure all of our guest enjoy their stay. We have taken immediate steps to rectify the situation. That room is already under a thorough deep cleaning process to make sure that the problem gets eliminated.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Paula hotels

Elgin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

So its ok for a short stopover like we needed. The guy on the front desk was polite and helpful.The rooms were clean and comfortable however needs a revamp of interior decor. Could have done with some coffee/tea facilities in the rooms. We went down to breakfast and was really disappointed at the options - blueberry muffins, sweet pastries, bananas, apples, orange juice and coffee. (And at 8.30am there were hardly anything left!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
OGI350, General Manager at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Let me thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am glad to hear that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I would also like to thank you for telling us where we need to improve. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. We certainly hope to see you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I read the reviews on this place from others and was hesitating to stay here. I gave it a chance figuring that management must have corrected the issues. IN FACT THEY HAVE. When I checked in I was greeted pleasantly. The check in was quick and easy. The guy at the desk even recommended a few places where I can grab a bite to eat. When I got to the room I found it to be spacious, neat & clean. Fridge & microwave were very helpful. I can tell the bed had new mattress and it was very comfortable. I found no signs of the negatives others had mentioned in their reviews. I will be sure to stay at this place again and I will also recommend others to do the same.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank You for your kind words. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed staying at the Ocean Gateway Inn. Hope to see back again when you are in the area.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Just an overnight stop, we arrived late ish but the staff were helpful and directed us to the excellent Mexican restaurant next door, before it closed.
The room was very good, spacious, clean and tidy.
Breakfast was simple with limited places to sit and eat it, but good quality.
Good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
We are very pleased to hear that you had very enjoyable experience at the Ocean Gateway Inn. We appreciate you taking time to write a great review for us. Thank You!!
Kvil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

First of all the Ocean Gateway Inn is over 10 miles from the ocean. It is convenient to Santa Paula. I have stayed 3-4 times over the last 4 years..No Longer. I like supporting local business but not here. The breakfast they advertise: 1 small muffin, regular coffee..that's it. The Sheets were too small for the bed so they kept pulling out. No bath mat, the towels looked like they had been used to wash a truck's tires. The were about the cheapest money can buy and they were stained and very thin and rough. I arrived, checked in after ringing the bell and waiting for the desk clerk (owner?) showed up. Quickly registered me that was it. I went up to my room, the hall smelled like urine, there were bags of garbage and trash in the hall, there were some people who looked like they had been working very hard all day, they had their room doors open, smoking, cooking it the rooms and preparing their evening cocktails. This is a perfect place for them, a hardworking man who is ready to relax and have fun with their friends. This Inn has a place in business and business needs..but not for me or my business. The room appeared to be clean but old and used...when I stayed in the past there was a flat screen TV now it had an 18" tube tv placed low in the center so you couldn't see i well from the bed.
The light switches in the room are on a motion sensor..if you get up at night to go to the restroom the lights turn on. If you are to use the bathroom you turn the lights on well in advance so the CFL's can get bright enough. The tub/shower had been patched and the walls had been covered with some product and the adhesive was pushed out from the edges and left that way. I couldn't check early because a 48 hour cancellation time is required. When I did go to check out no one every came to the front so I left my key and departed.

Room Tip: Go to a different location in Oxnard or Ventura
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Let me first thank you for letting us know where we need to improve. Also let me apologize on behalf of the hotel management and staff for the unpleasant experience you had. We always strive to make guest experience enjoyable. Having said that we have already began to review all procedures and policies in place and correct the issue(s) you mentioned. We have also started retraining our staff to rectify some of the issues.
Nor Cal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This place is not taken care of and is very dirty! This is a 39 dollar motel that they 85 dollars for. There is better places to stay. To be honest this place sucked..

Room Tip: dont stop here
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you had a terrible experience at our hotel. I thank you for telling us about it so that we can correct the issue. We always strive to provide value for what our guest pays and we constantly review to see if we are competitive and economical. We will continue to make sure that our guest get the most out of their money.

Been to Ocean Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!