“Clean and comfortable but breakfast was disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Gateway Inn

Save Saved
You added Ocean Gateway Inn to your Saves list
Ocean Gateway Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   350 South Peck Road, Santa Paula, CA 93060 (Formerly Travelodge)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Santa Paula
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Clean and comfortable but breakfast was disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

So its ok for a short stopover like we needed. The guy on the front desk was polite and helpful.The rooms were clean and comfortable however needs a revamp of interior decor. Could have done with some coffee/tea facilities in the rooms. We went down to breakfast and was really disappointed at the options - blueberry muffins, sweet pastries, bananas, apples, orange juice and coffee. (And at 8.30am there were hardly anything left!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
OGI350, General Manager at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Let me thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am glad to hear that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I would also like to thank you for telling us where we need to improve. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. We certainly hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I read the reviews on this place from others and was hesitating to stay here. I gave it a chance figuring that management must have corrected the issues. IN FACT THEY HAVE. When I checked in I was greeted pleasantly. The check in was quick and easy. The guy at the desk even recommended a few places where I can grab a bite to eat. When I got to the room I found it to be spacious, neat & clean. Fridge & microwave were very helpful. I can tell the bed had new mattress and it was very comfortable. I found no signs of the negatives others had mentioned in their reviews. I will be sure to stay at this place again and I will also recommend others to do the same.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank You for your kind words. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed staying at the Ocean Gateway Inn. Hope to see back again when you are in the area.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Just an overnight stop, we arrived late ish but the staff were helpful and directed us to the excellent Mexican restaurant next door, before it closed.
The room was very good, spacious, clean and tidy.
Breakfast was simple with limited places to sit and eat it, but good quality.
Good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
We are very pleased to hear that you had very enjoyable experience at the Ocean Gateway Inn. We appreciate you taking time to write a great review for us. Thank You!!
Kvil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

First of all the Ocean Gateway Inn is over 10 miles from the ocean. It is convenient to Santa Paula. I have stayed 3-4 times over the last 4 years..No Longer. I like supporting local business but not here. The breakfast they advertise: 1 small muffin, regular coffee..that's it. The Sheets were too small for the bed so they kept pulling out. No bath mat, the towels looked like they had been used to wash a truck's tires. The were about the cheapest money can buy and they were stained and very thin and rough. I arrived, checked in after ringing the bell and waiting for the desk clerk (owner?) showed up. Quickly registered me that was it. I went up to my room, the hall smelled like urine, there were bags of garbage and trash in the hall, there were some people who looked like they had been working very hard all day, they had their room doors open, smoking, cooking it the rooms and preparing their evening cocktails. This is a perfect place for them, a hardworking man who is ready to relax and have fun with their friends. This Inn has a place in business and business needs..but not for me or my business. The room appeared to be clean but old and used...when I stayed in the past there was a flat screen TV now it had an 18" tube tv placed low in the center so you couldn't see i well from the bed.
The light switches in the room are on a motion sensor..if you get up at night to go to the restroom the lights turn on. If you are to use the bathroom you turn the lights on well in advance so the CFL's can get bright enough. The tub/shower had been patched and the walls had been covered with some product and the adhesive was pushed out from the edges and left that way. I couldn't check early because a 48 hour cancellation time is required. When I did go to check out no one every came to the front so I left my key and departed.

Room Tip: Go to a different location in Oxnard or Ventura
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Let me first thank you for letting us know where we need to improve. Also let me apologize on behalf of the hotel management and staff for the unpleasant experience you had. We always strive to make guest experience enjoyable. Having said that we have already began to review all procedures and policies in place and correct the issue(s) you mentioned. We have also started retraining our staff to rectify some of the issues.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Paula hotels

Nor Cal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This place is not taken care of and is very dirty! This is a 39 dollar motel that they 85 dollars for. There is better places to stay. To be honest this place sucked..

Room Tip: dont stop here
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Ocean Gateway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you had a terrible experience at our hotel. I thank you for telling us about it so that we can correct the issue. We always strive to provide value for what our guest pays and we constantly review to see if we are competitive and economical. We will continue to make sure that our guest get the most out of their money.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011 via mobile

My girlfriends & I stayed here. We got a room with 2 queens for $100 basic room, we notice that the bath towels were dirty & moldy, & the front desk lady was very RUDE. . . .we went to be bed around 12am & got up at 2am when we were being attack by big BED BUGS its was horrible they were all over us & the bed I thought I was going to die. Worst feeling ever, we jumped up got our things and went to the front office when we told the man who was in charge he didn't deny having BED BUGS he tried to give us another room, but we were so disgusted we just wanted to get out of there!! Now we have bites all over our body's!! Don't say at the Ocean Getaway Inn

• Stayed August 2011
Santa Paula, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We had a family reunion so we had reserved 6 rooms for two nights. When we checked in there were cockroach traps in our room. There was hair in our bath tub, the power in the room went out because I was blow drying my hair and my husband was ironing. Had to walk to the front desk to tell them and he said "No no, you cannot use two things at one time" and had me stand with my room door open and yell "is the power back on". There where holes in my sheets. Luckily we had blankets that we brought along. The young man at the front desk was not apologetic at all for any of the issues that we brought to his attention. We did not stay for the 2nd night. Went to the Santa Paula Inn which was 200% better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!