“Unique and One of a Kind” 4 of 5 stars

Glen Tavern Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   134 N. Mill Street, Santa Paula, CA 93060   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Santa Paula
Los Angeles, CA
“Unique and One of a Kind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

This is a beautiful historic hotel with a lot of potential. Some rooms are upgraded with luxurious bathrooms, jacuzzi tubs and flat screen TVs, others have not yet been renovated. Our room was one of the remodeled suites, very comfortable, but spare with a tile floor. A rug on the floor would have made it more warm and inviting. There is a restaurant, but it does not serve breakfast. There is morning coffee in the lobby. However, the last morning of our stay, a Sunday, there was none provided, and the local Santa Paula Coffee Company a block away, is closed on Sundays. If I could make suggestions to the ownership, I'd suggest lighting the huge fireplace in the lobby, play music in the evening, and encourage guests to linger for drinks and appetizers in the lobby's comfortable couches and chairs. This is a great place to get away to a historic small town, go for hikes and picnics, and Ojai is not far away. We had dinner at the nearby Mupu Grill and it was excellent.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Real Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

The room was very nice with a very nice bathroom. Quiet except for the occasional conversation heard from the lobby restroom next door. Staff could use some good training on how to work with guests. Desk staff far too interested in personal telephone call and internet usage. Restaurant was supposed to open at 8 AM, still wasn't ready to serve at 9 AM. We found a nice cafe two blocks away. Notwithstanding the above, we would return to this motel is the occasion arose in the future.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Found the inn by chance. We go there every chance we get now.. The managers 2 night special is an awesome deal. The shopping outlets in Camarillo are less than 30 minutes away and Santa Barbara is about an hour away, so there are plenty of things to do around Santa Paula. Highly recommend Familia Diaz Restaurant on 10th street in SP. I've stayed at the inn several times and haven't met any ghost that are reported to be 'living' at the inn. The lobby decorations take you back in time. I just love this place.

Westminster, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

Staying here over the weekend to attend a weekend course in clock repair at the nearby downtown Odd Fellows Lodge was the best decision. It's centrally convenient to downtown San Paula, which was in full swing displaying overhead banners for 'Spooky Paula' ghost walk and Faulkner Farms pumpkin patch for Halloween in the historic, clean and friendly Main Street. This hotel is run by friendly, helpful, fun people - you notice this immediately at check-in desk. My room was on the second floor where Harry Houdini the magician stayed and the roomy, clean place was themed to reflect this. There are some great classic movie posters in the first and second floor halls lit with antique glass Mission style true to the hotel's 1905 Craftsman structure - it seemed like staying in a comfortable, huge house with many rooms. Some rooms have a jacuzzi soak which is relaxing after class or anything. There's the Ironhorse restaurant with an attached bar with food menu (they're open to 11, handy after the restaurant close at 9 PM) with really fine salmon and cheesecake (this ex-NYer gives two thumbs up!). The John Wayne room has a refrigerator and microwave - worth it (not all had that). Any questions about getting around or what's going on in the area were cheerfully explained. At the end, manager Aaron Ortega personally helped me load my clock equipment back into the car and furnished a summary invoice of my hotel stay. All in all, I would stay at this hotel again - its homey feel is very inviting.

• Liked — Relaxed atmosphere, roomy room, clean, comfortable, friendly staff
  • Disliked — You can trip on the step-up bathroom threshold if too tired
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We booked our room on the Glen Tavern website and had to later call to add to our reservation, due to having to bring my chihuahua with us. There was a small fee of 10 dollars for the pooch and we had to make a room change, which was fine. Once we arrived we found out that we had been upgraded to the Penthouse suite with no additional charge since the pet room we were switched to was double booked. The room was amazing, plus the fact we didnt have to pay extra was such a treat. All of the staff were friendly and accommodating to all of us, even to my dog. We went out to the Ventura Harbor for dinner and to enjoy the afternoon and early evening, which was just a short 20 minute drive away. To end the night we figured we would enjoy the hotel atmosphere with a stop at the lounge and then back to the penthouse to enjoy 2 flat screen tvs, double shower head marble shower and jacuzzi tub with a wrap around bar next to the bedroom! While in the lounge we made friends with the man that we found out to be the restaurant owner, Eric, who was the most amazing story teller and most friendly restaurant owner that we had ever met. He truly made our trip, which was for my birthday, a wonderful experience. We ended up leaving the lounge with a bottle of wine that was gifted to us along with wine glasses to take up to our room. The following morning we were greeted with a pitcher of water from Eric and then were greeted by each employee before checking out. Over all it was a wonderful birthday treat for me to spend it at the Glen Tavern. Me and boyfriend are just adjusting schedules to find more time to return. We absolutely loved the entire environment in the hotel starting from the lobby all the way to the top floor, where our room was. If you get a chance make your reservation, ask to see the penthouse, enjoy your time in the lounge and you will thank yourself later because we left feeling relaxed and very satisfied with our stay.

• Liked — Building History and charm
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

I went to Santa Paula for a class and after staying for two nights at another local motel (which turned out to be sub-par), I checked into the Glen Tavern Inn and proceeded to stay for three nights. Wow, what a difference! The whole place is clean, neat, and overall a wonderful experience. My room was simple & small because that's all I wanted. The lobby is fun to hang out in, and there's a great little bar & restaurant downstairs. I'll be returning to Santa Paula in February of 2009 and you can bet I'll be booking a room at the Glen Tavern Inn.

By the way, I never saw a ghost roaming the halls.

• Liked — Cleanliness, wonderful atmosphere, reasonable rates, and proximity to downtown.
  • Disliked — Well, in my room (206) there were no drawers to stash clothing.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Malibu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

It was my girlfriends birthday yesterday and I wanted to surprise her with something a little different. We had dinner in West L.A. then took the 50 min drive out to Santa Paula. Dinner went longer then we expected and I was a little worried that checking in close to midnight would be a problem for a small business. To my surprise check in was quick and easy. All of the staff were helpful and friendly even at midnight. We stayed in room 308. It was beautiful. Great shower, comfortable accommodations. I like to describe the Glen Tavern as rustic luxury. My first attraction was to the rumors that the Inn was haunted. I didn't have any paranormal experiences per say, just a couple unexplained random knocking noises. I could see the decor of the Inn playing into peoples imagination around this time of year. Kinda fun spooky but family friendly. Seems like it would be a great place to throw a party, All in all great experience. Will go back!! Way to close to Los Angeles to not make a second trip soon. This is a place for those who live off the beaten path.

• Liked — Room Comfort
  • Disliked — Couldn't fine a vending machine
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Glen Tavern Inn? Share your experiences!