“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Castaic, California
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Lovely room, perfect service. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

If you get a renovated room, you may really enjoy this place. The grounds are LOVELY. The staff are mediocre and not always available. If you are in Santa Paula, it isn't a horrible place to stay...it just isn't as special as it could be. We have had many friends and family stay here. It is a mixed bag. The newer rooms are pretty nice. My cousins stayed here and had an old room. The outlets didn't work and there was actually a hole in the wall that she could see clear through to the outside. Her room looked shabby-cheap not shabby-chic. I am a former GM and I always feel like "If only I could manage this place...." and let my imagination run wild. It has limitless potential. I hope they finish the renovation. It is a gorgeous venue for weddings and receptions. The restaurant was AWESOME when it first opened but the quality of food has gone waaaaay down. The service is good though and they seem to care about the dining experience. Again, a ton of potential but falls short.

Room Tip: Go for the renovated rooms!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
beverly hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Nestled in the historic and scenic Santa Paula Valley, just an hour north of Los Angeles, this 100-year old hotel has been lovingly restored by its family owners, who clearly take pride in their property and want you to enjoy it! My 11-year old son and I booked into the hotel on a recent week-end, wanting a break from the LA fumes and bustle. And we got it. The property is a cross between an English country inn and a Swiss chalet. Arriving at dusk, we entered the lobby, where a crackling fire and friendly staff awaited us. Being from England, I noticed the wall-to-wall English floral carpeting, which I later learned the owners ordered directly from the famous Axminster company in England. Our room on the third floor was like a mini-apartment, complete with hot tub, which my son thought was the ultimate luxury. Apparently the magician Harry Houdini had stayed in this room. Dinner was fabulous: tender, sizzling steak with parmesan risotto; while my son was invited into the kitchen to make his own pizza in the special, wood-fired pizza oven that the owners installed. My son later told me it was the best pizza he'd ever eaten! This is a hotel full of character in a town with loads of history (big oil and the citrus capital of the world). You'll forget all about the outside world when you are here. The best week-end getaway ever!!

Room Tip: A suite is best. Or ask for a room facing north, with mountain views.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

The phrase, "It was a place that sent you back in time", is overused. However, A stay at the Glen Tavern Inn is exactly that. It has been awarded a federal landmark and occupied by Harry Houdini, John Wayne, Carol Lombard, etc..It offers a lending library so you can read on one of the many comfy sofas in the main lobby.

The restaurant is fantastic and serves fresh vegetables, and tender poultry and meat dishes. There are also entrees for vegetarians. I particularly enjoyed having my meal and a glass of wine brought to me while snuggled on my comfy couch in the lobby with its dimmed lights and huge fireplace. Also, I was able to use Wi-fi in the lobby.

On Friday nights there is a classic car show a block away. They shut down the main street so you can walk around and enjoy talking to the owners of the cars. Who knew there are nation-wide clubs just for hearse owners? If you'd rather relax and quench your thirst, a bustling Irish bar is right there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I decided to go to the Glen Tavern Inn to take my daughter on a Mother/Daughter weekend.
The coziness of the decor looked so inviting, and finding out the history and it being 100 years old, I thought this would be the perfect getaway not far from home.
The added mystery of the paranormal activities seemed pretty cool, too.
It absolutely did not disappoint!! What an AMAZING Inn.

This is not a hotel, it's truly a step back in history. The minute you walk in, you are surrounded by its warmth, the historical articles and posters on the wall, the old fashioned lighting. I loved it immediately. In fact, I am writing this review on our first night, and haven't even eaten at their on-site Italian restaurant which looked so quaint and fabulous. It's like you are staying at someone's home.
Some of the guests simply took their appetizers and bottle of wine and sat on the couch by the fire all night.
The Inn was built in 1911 because those coming in to Santa Paula, California for the Citrus and Gold by train needed somewhere to stay.

Our only problem: We had to take our 10 month old Wheaten Terrier and being her first time sleeping at a hotel, I was concerned. It was absolutely NO problem to them.

I found out the Inn only charged a nominal $10 charge per night extra for her, and put us in one of the animal friendly rooms with tile floors. We are staying in the King Jacuzzi room which just has a nice, deep jacuzzi bathtub. Very nice bathroom, old doors.
Our puppy is now fast asleep and happy as a clam.

Houdini, John Wayne, Rin Tin Tin, and others have stayed here. It also used to be a brothel, and the many bad things that come with gambling, and prostitution such as cheating, and murder have occurred here. Many stories to be told.

I walked myself up the stairs to the second floor, and then the third where Houdini stayed, with no one around.
I have to say that honestly, I had chills all over my body and a heavy pit in my chest. There is no question,
this Inn has a different feeling then your usual bed and breakfast, or fancy hotel. The energy of it's past inhabitants is indeed there as far as I'm concerned. Not scary, just intense.

I am planning on coming back and bringng my husband. For those who don't like the paranormal aspect of it, you need not worry. This Inn is very romantic the minute you step through the doors, and can be a very nice weekend away, or stop through town on the way North or South. I am very happy I found this place.

Room Tip: Our room with our dog was 108, and it is perfectly quaint and nice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Took 30 friends with us this weekend. We were treated like VIP's and had a great retreat! Fabulous service, rooms and food.

• Stayed October 2011
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I had been looking for someplace special to take my husband for his 50th birthday. Imagine my delight when I discovered The Glen Tavern Inn in quaint Santa Paula. A perfect weekend getaway from where we live in L.A. I was able to book a large, airy room that actor John Wayne had once stayed in. The perfect surprise for my hubby who happens to be a huge John Wayne fan. Our room had a gorgeous view of the hotel's front lawn and quaint Mill Street beyond.

I must also mention the hotel's amazing restaurant, Enzo's. Our meal and the service were fantastic! Inside of Enzo's is The Houdini Lounge (Harry Houdini is also a former guest!). I had a martini concoction called "The Tavern Temptress" while my husband chose "The Steve McQueen" (ALSO a former celebrity guest at the Glen Tavern!!!). Okay, so maybe we're movie nerds, but I think anyone would be impressed by this place and the amazing people who have visited it in the past.

Great value, excellent service and beautiful, old-fashioned surroundings. I would highly recommend this lovely old hotel to anyone who has the good sense to appreciate history, Hollywood or otherwise. We will most definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Glen Tavern Inn? Share your experiences!