“A comfy, friendly place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Carmel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90401 (Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Millicent, Australia
“A comfy, friendly place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

After a long 14 hour flight from Aus, the staff at Hotel Carmel were very friendly and welcoming. We only had a one night stay with our teenage daughter, and although the rooms were not huge the beds were very comfy and the showers great. The street side was a little noisy. The staff were excellent, a perfect location for a short stay.

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Franklin, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I hate to write negative remarks but was disappointed with overall stay. As mentioned above , the staff is very friendly and helpful was probably the only real positive thing. Our room was on a corner of busy street and so noisy; that combined with hard beds made it a very miserable night. Bathrooms are very small, no hair dryer to be found and like other comments made bedding very outdated and left impression of unclean. We came upon this hotel on foot after dark and should have been more selective. Our first trip to Santa Monica and didn't do any research.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I’m very sorry you were disappointed with your room. We understand that at times, some of our rooms are subject to street noise. We offer complimentary disposable earplugs to help when that is an issue. It appears from your post that we did not offer those to you. We also have complimentary hairdryers available through our front desk. I’m going to personally check the beds you mentioned as uncomfortable. We should not have any comfort issues since our beds are not very old. I very much appreciate you taking the time to also post positive comments about our friendly staff. We strive to make sure your stay with us is comfortable and in this case, I think we fell short of that goal. I apologize for your disappointment and want to express that I sincerely appreciate your candid constructive feedback as well as the positive comments regarding my staff. Thank you.
jersey city, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

If you only read one sentence: there are no downtown Santa Monica hotel bargains to be found, I've tried, and if you don't need to wake up near the ocean, there are better deals in Marina del Rey or inland Santa Monica.

To address some recurring critiques, I disagree that it's "dated" and strongly agree with the comments on the small room size. It's been like a long time since I had a hotel room without a desk or a chair. You won't want to spend much time here and you won't be charmed by the alley view but with Pacific Ocean views one block away these aren't deal-breakers. The rooms have nicer decor than I expected from the reviews. There was some noise here, a result of the prime downtown location.

The valet-only parking and the high expense thereof aren't unique to this hotel. Conversely, mass transit geeks will find a slew of Big Blue Bus lines and multiple LA bus lines to downtown nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I'd agree, great location, beautiful lobby, staff amenable. Other than that ... a very budget hotel. Breakfast consists of a cup of coffee in a paper cup with a cup cake or pastry - although there is a cafe next door. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room, but the main shopping mall is at the back, next street over.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Geoffrey F,

Thank you staying with us and thank you for posting a review. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Santa Monica. Safe travels!
Boston, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I really liked this hotel. It is in a wonderful position, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and very comfortable.
A minor point: the old fashioned bedspread cover on the bed makes the room look a bit old fashioned. I would definitely stay there again. The price is right and I very much enjoyed my visit there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Was there for a one night LA business trip without my wife. I read the reviews and the thing that sold me was location. True! When I got it there was noise outside, but i was tired put the TV on and fell asleep. I woke up early to a small quiet room. Then fell in love with the proximity to the Santa Monica Pier, the Beach and Shopping. If you plan on living in your room or have the kids with you this may not be the hotel. But if it's just you and your partner, you will like this place. They do valet the car and that's convenient. They morning coffee and muffins are bad. But if your not there for that stuff and you want a cozy hotel close to everything in the town you will love the place..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We arrived after a long flight and were very happy with our stay. In comparison to european hotels this was very good. We had a double size room and whilst it was dated the room was clean, shower was good and location was great. We had fantastic service from shelly which topped off the stay.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Hotel Carmel? Share your experiences!