“Great staff, smallest hotel room I have ever seen.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Carmel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #30 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
sacramento
“Great staff, smallest hotel room I have ever seen.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Like other reviewers have said, this hotel has a lovely front and lobby. The valet parking makes it very easy to pull up on the busy street and not worry about parking. There are some very nice things about this hotel such as a friendly helpful staff, free coffee and danishes in the morning and a quick walk to EVERYTHING great in the Santa Monica area. On the other hand, there were some very awful things as well. That is why I am not completely sure if I would recommend this hotel to a friend or not.

The actual hotel room is the smallest hotel room I have EVER stayed in. The queen bed had an enormous frame that took up the front of the bed and made it difficult to cross over to the opposite side of the room. My husband and I both had bruises on our legs after a weekend of accidentally running into the wooden foot board that stuck out too far- there was only about 2-3 ft between the end of the bed and the other wall. Not much room - we are not big people and we had to turn sideways to move from one side of the room to the other. NOT a room for small kids to play in. The worst thing was the condition of the carpet in our hotel room. It felt dirty on our bare feet! VERY old and past being cleaned. It needs to be replaced. I would not return if they still have that same carpet. Not a place for small kids to play on the floor. Finally, the housekeeping did not do a great job of making our room clean on our arrival. Examples: There was something red and sticky stuck to our bed boxspring under the comforter, on the side of the mattress. I removed it with a tissue. Also the plastic covering the box spring was all torn up. Gross! Also, the bedroom windows were dirty and the fan above our bed was covered in dust. By the looks of it, the fan had not been dusted for weeks. We did not turn it on at all because it was so dusty. I CANNOT believe our housekeeper did not notice all of this.

The good stuff- The free morning coffee and muffins in the lobby were great. The front staff and valets were super friendly and helpful. The window opened in our room--lots of windows in hotels don't open nowadays. The location is AMAZING! We could see the ocean from the bedroom window, and there was a bustling city of people walking on the street below us. We dropped off our car upon our arrival and didn't take it again until we checked out two days later. Lots of restaurants, the beach and pier, bars, a mall and even a couple movie theaters are also in walking distance. Go during the week for a quieter stay--weekends are crazy busy here! This is a hotel for a people that go with the flow and can enjoy a vacation if the location is ideal, even if the room is not great.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view and top floor room to avoid some street noise. Bring earplugs to sleep.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear caligurl1995

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel. We appreciate the positive comments as well as your observations concerning the room condition and the housekeeping services. I wanted you to know that we are addressing the bed frames and have removed the foot boards from the frames in many of our rooms. I apologize that the foot board was obstructive and we will hopefully have all the bed frame foot boards removed soon. I also wanted to apologize for the carpet condition and assure you I will address that with out team. Thanks for staying with us and we hope you will consider a return visit on a future occasion.

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We are on a road trip & our hotels have been organised for us by Tailor Made. Unfortunately they booked us in here, we don't normally complain but the only way I can describe this hotel is like student digs that smell of TCP. Thick layers of paint are trying to cover up the shabbiness of the place. We were given a room facing a wall & to be fair on the guy on the front desk he did move us to one of the best rooms they have....this had a massive AC duct in a cupboard, stains on the bed & the room was extremely noisy. We were out of there by 5am with no sleep. The outside of the building looks great, the inside is shabby.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is the first overwhelmingly negative review I have written about a hotel, but there were so many things wrong with our stay here that I feel the need to say something. The building itself is generally fine. I do feel the hotel is expensive for the standard of the rooms, but they were clean and the hotel is centrally located, only two blocks from the beach and from the main shopping drag in Santa Monica. However, whatever advantages this hotel offers are completely ruined by the staff. From the beginning the staff (notably excluding one man who did valet parking and was lovely at all times, no matter how busy he was) were rude, condescending and unprofessional. At check-in, the man at reception was very brusk and seemed to be inconvenienced by our arrival (we arrived at the allocated time in late afternoon). It also did not help that he informed us that wifi cost $20 per night, after every other hotel we had stayed in provided it for free. (We opted not to pay for it and were pleased to later discover that from our room we could connect to the free wifi from the bar downstairs.)

We were woken up the first morning by the cleaner before 8am, after she knocked on the door and immediately came into the room. She did not apologise when she realised we were in bed asleep but left extremely noisily, as if we had put her out. I have never come across a hotel cleaning service doing rounds of the rooms before 8am before. On our second last night she left us a towel which very obviously had a big lipstick stain on it. And at the same time she left us a condescending handwritten note explaining that we were expected to tip her. Needless to say she did not receive a tip.

When we were checking out, the extremely rude lady at reception told off another member of staff in front of us, in a way which can only be described as huffy, childish and unprofessional. This made the entire situation very awkward.

We stayed here during a roadtrip holiday and out of all the hotels we stayed in (of which there were many) this was by far the worst. I absolutely do not recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Megan M,

I’m extremely disappointed in my team for the way you were treated as a guest of our hotel. There is no excuse for anyone on my staff to be rude, condescending, or unprofessional. There is also no excuse for the room attendant to enter your room so early in the morning and leaving any type of note. Solicitation of gratuities is strictly against our policies. In addition, reading your review and seeing that you were subjected to one employee telling off a fellow employee is equally disturbing to me. I assure you that I take your comments and concerns very seriously and your review will be personally investigated by me. I want to extend my sincerest apologies to you for our many transgressions in service. If you care to reach out to me, I would very much like to extend a more personal apology to you and see if there is anything I can do to assure you that we really do care about our guests.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Wasn't expecting much when I booked this hotel apart from a good location. However, we were pleasantly surprised that the rooms were tidy and bigger than I expected - a tad old fashioned (dont expect luxury) but it served our purpose. Also, I thought I read somewhere that there would be no shower in the rooms which I found strange. Thankfully this was not the case.

We (2 couples) arrived at about 10am after a 15 hour flight from Australia, and to our delight they let us both check in despite the advertised check-in being 2 or 3pm. They even got us 2 rooms next to each other. Very accommodating and friendly!

Location wise, you couldn't ask for more! About a 10min walk from Santa Monica pier if that! Lots of bars and restuarants near by.

Had to use valet parking for 1 night, and that was only $14 a night which I imagine is very cheap for the area.

Free wifi is not included so that was the only downside. Also breakfast only included coffee and muffins, so I never bothered. Being Aussie, I did not like the drip/filtered coffee anyway, so I would walk around the corner to a cafe each morning to get espresso coffee.

However overall I was very happy, would likely stay here again if I ever go back to LA.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nick N,

Thank you posting your review from your recent stay with us. I was very happy to learn that you enjoyed your visit. I’m also very glad that our team was accommodating and friendly. We strive to meet all of our guests’ expectations and we really appreciate hearing your gracious comments about our staff. Thank you very much for staying with us at Hotel Carmel. We hope to see you again if your travel plans include a return visit to Santa Monica. Safe travels!
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed for 1 night on 9 June 13 and travelled with 2 adults and 2 children aged 12 and 13. As other reviewers have mentioned, the location is amazing. One block from the beach, 2 blocks from the pier, 1 block from 3rd Street Promenade. Staff are extremely pleasant and are more than willing to help out with enquiries or problems. There is a new shopping mall across Broadway, and there are quite a few cafes, restaurants and 'watering holes' on the same block.

We arrived at 8:15am and, of course, our room wasn't going to be ready, but we tried our luck anyway. We were told to come back at around 2:30pm. I returned at 10:00am and the reception staff gave us a complementary upgrade to a room that was available. Perfect... we had just arrived from Australia and needed a nap.

Our room was upgraded to a double queen suite on the 3rd floor, which was one bedroom, one lounge room and one bathroom. The light and fan combo in the bedroom had a mind of its own. The light would turn off by itself and then the fan would turn on, then the light would turn on, then turn on, and then the fan would increase to full power, then the light would change, and then the fan would turn off. We spoke with reception and they sent concierge staff up straight away. We ended up just leaving the light and fan switch off. No big deal. As the weather was cool at the time, we didn't need a fan anyway, not sure how this would affect someone if the weather is extremely hot.

The room was fine. Honestly, not the best hotel room we've ever stayed in, but also nowhere near the worst. Some would call the hotel "old". We call it "quaint", and "cute". We didn't mind the little inconveniences as the staff were fantastic and the services and locality almost unbeatable. If we were staying more than one night, this attitude may have changed. Our room was on the corner of Broadway and 2nd, and some traffic noise seeped into the room which, honestly, was annoying on the odd occasion, but not enough to spoil our stay.

Would we stay here again? If for one or two nights - definitely. The hotel is comfortable and our beds were fantastic. If you're expecting all the luxuries of a 5-star resort, may we suggest you find somewhere triple the price. If you're looking for a comfy one-nighter on the way to or from San Francisco etc, this place is the bees knees!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello TashnTony,

Okay, this is the first time we have had someone write a review of our hotel and use the term “bee’s knees” but we love getting that feedback! Thanks for your review and thanks for staying at Hotel Carmel. I’m glad we were able to accommodate your early arrival with an upgraded room. Please accept my apologies for the fan and lights turning on and off on their own. It might be a really interesting response to your review if we suggested that the ghosts of Hotel Carmel were responsible for that but sorry, we don’t have any ghosts, so I’m pretty sure we had an electrical issue. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Santa Monica.
Wargrave, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The almost perfect location, just behind the main sea front, is great for a stay at Santa monica. Valet parking is 14$ so easy to drop off your car when you arrive... the foyer looks clean and appealing however,.....
rooms are very basic, clean but not exactly lux so make sure you are ok with this. It was fine for our stay as we just used it as a place to sleep but if you want something more tasteful, this is not the place.. Breakfast included is quite a generous description of what you get - whic is a flask of hot water and some odd pastries in the hotel reception area... so again, dont expect a banquet!!

Room Tip: we faced out the back but dont think it makes much difference to be honest!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hello Battie1

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Santa Monica. We really appreciate you mentioning our great location and our proximity to all of Santa Monica’s attractions. Hopefully on a future visit, we will be welcoming you back to our hotel. Safe travels and thanks again for staying at Hotel Carmel.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located a few blocks to the beach, and Santa Monica pier. There are a lot of restaurants and retail shops within walking distance. The rooms are decent and just what you need, because you're at Santa Monica for the beach right? Not to have a holiday in your room. The vallet guys were awesome and very helpful, just like the staff. Also very polite!
Overall a really good easy hotel, well located and a great price! Would stay again!

• Stayed May 2013
Hi M4rny,

Thanks for posting your review of Hotel Carmel. We really appreciate you acknowledging our valet team as well as our other team members. We also appreciate your comments regarding our location and price. Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope to see you back again if your travel plans include a future visit to Santa Monica.

Been to Hotel Carmel? Share your experiences!