“FOUR DAY STAY” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
“FOUR DAY STAY”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights from Sunday 10th Feb on our way back to UK from New Zealand. Caught the Big Blue bus ( No3 ) from near LAX for $1each, great value and drop off near to hotel. Had read lots of previous reviews but have to say we had no problems during our stay. We stayed in room 428 which was very comfortable and clean with king size bed. Only slight negative was no view and air con outside a bit noisey but not bad if window closed, although noise did reduce from about 11.00pm. All reception staff friendly and very helpful, arranged transit to airport which was only $28 hotel to LAX and driver very friendly and informative. The free breakfast of juice, tea or coffee and pastries is excellent and is something that you would not get at many other hotels in US. As said in many other reviews, the location is fantastic, we had great walks along the
beach area towards Malibu and stop for coffee at beach cafe's and pier 5 min walk from hotel.

Also handy for shopping and eating out with many great value restaurants within walking distance.
We would stay here again and both thought that Santa Monica was a great place to visit. G & J.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hello Gordon G.

Thank you so much for your review of Hotel Carmel. We really appreciate all the positive comments. I was very happy to learn that your room was comfortable and clean and our team was very helpful and friendly. Also, thanks for mentioning the Big Blue Bus. It is great way to get to Santa Monica from Los Angeles International Airport and the bus stops right around the corner from our hotel. We look forward to seeing you back on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel couldn't be in a better location if it tried. It's literally in one block from the beach and one block from Third Street Promenade (which can be deadly).

The hotel needs a bit of an upgrade, the rooms are quite dated and the furniture in the lobby needs a refurbishment. From the outside it looks like it's quite ritzy though! I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent here, the room was massive and the tv was fine. There was a free breakfast that we went to once, they had muffins and pastries. It was quite nice having been free.

I would definitely stay here again purely for location, location, LOCATION. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jessica E.

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your positive feedback as well as your constructive comments. If your travels from Australia ever bring you back to Los Angeles, we would love to welcome you back to the Hotel Carmel.
vancouver, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here for three nights, a fairly last minute booking as my other accommodation in Santa Monica fell through.

Location

As others have stated, the location is great.
Walking distance to the beach ( one block), Santa Monica pier, 3rd street promenade shops/restaurants. 1/2 hr walk to Venice beach along the boardwalk.
Very easy access to the Big Blue and Metro bus stops ( I used those to get to Century City, UCLA and the Getty Centre). Only $1 per bus trip
I didn't have a car and didn't need one for the three days I was there.

Rooms
Basic but clean is how I'd summarise it. Bed was very comfortable, my room was very quiet ( 434). Ok, the TVchannels weren't super extensive but I was only watching a 1/2 hr news in morning, as the rest of the time was spent out and about. Bathroom on the small side but clean.

Breakfast
Basic again but appreciated the freebie juice/coffee/tea and pastries/ muffins before heading out for the day

Staff
Friendly, helpful re: bus timetables. Held my luggage until my evening flight. Helped book a car to airport - very friendly driver and cheaper than my ordinary taxi in!

All up,I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher up floors, away from lift ( rings loud)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hello ninja25,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Carmel. We are glad to hear that you found our location fantastic and your guest room was clean and quiet. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again if your travel plans include a return visit to Santa Monica.
Southport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is not the finest hotel although the furnishings are interesting. We found the staff very friendly and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Situated a few minutes walk from the pier the location could not be better. For those without to much luggage and an adventurous nature you can get to the hotel by bus from Los Angeles Airport (International) for one dollar. The bus trip takes 45 minutes and is fantastic value for money as a cab will cost you 45/50 dollars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Wanderer191255,

Thanks for your review and many thanks for staying with us at Hotel Carmel. We hope to see you again if your travel plans include a visit to Santa Monica in the future.
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Room was very basic and quite small and the staff were not very friendly, especially at check in.
The electrics in the room were pretty dodgy.
Bed was comfortable and the cleaners wre very friendly and helpful.
Our stay was very noisy, over looking the service alley and lots of commotion through the nights.
Top location though Wouldn't stay again

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Roz W,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I was sorry to hear that you encountered some issues with noise and electrical during your stay. However, I was really troubled to learn that members of our front desk team were not very friendly. That is unacceptable for our hotel and I will reinforce our guest service standards with them immediately. I do appreciate you mentioning that our room attendants were helpful and friendly to you during your stay and that our hotel’s location worked well for you.
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed in this hotel - was going to stay for two nights but cut it short as i could not face having to spend another night in a smelly room, with a tv that has about 3 working channels and a bed that had the saggiest mattress i have slept on in some time.

Obviously the location is perfect and actually the service is good as well. Very friendly people that are willing to help with everything. Finally valet parking is cheap which is a big plus as well.

However, at the end of the day the feeling of sinking away in a very old mattress with horrible pillows (the ones that feel like they have been there since the 70s) simply was not an experience i would like to repeat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jelle D,

I appreciate your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience with us. It was disappointing to learn that you had an issue with one of our beds because they are fairly new and should not be sagging. In addition, I apologize if there was some type of unpleasant odor in your room. I’m out of the office until Friday, but I promise you that I will follow up on your comments and will address the issues you brought to our attention. If I can be of service to you, I can be reached at 310-451-2465 or by email at angela@hotelcarmel.com.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is fantastically located for the pier, beach, restaurants and shops but we didn't notice any noise. There is valet parking only which was a bit pricey but not unexpected in such a central location. We were on our honeymoon so got upgraded to a lovely big room with a separate living room. The pastries and coffee in the lobby were good. A few areas of the hotel needed a bit of an upgrade but otherwise a great place and we loved our time in Santa Monica! x

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear LittleSparrow81

Thank you for for your nice comments and thank you for staying with us.We hope you enjoyed your Honeymoon. We look foward to seeing you again when you are in Santa Monica.

Been to Hotel Carmel? Share your experiences!