“Location trumps almost everything” 4 of 5 stars

Casa del Mar
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1910 Ocean Way, Santa Monica, CA 90405   |
Ranked #5 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
BigginsBoy
“Location trumps almost everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my family at Casa Del Mar to mark the end of our vacation to California. We wanted to stay in Santa Monica s its one of the few places in LA which is walkable.

Having booked I read some scathing reviews on trip advisor and was a little worried about what we'd experience. I need not have worried.

The hotel's location is its biggest asset (just look at the pictures), and its staff come a close second. We experienced nothing but excellent and cheerful service, including a late checkout and excellent advice from the concierge.

Our rooms were small (and I'm saying that as a European). As we did not spend much time in them this was not a big problem. The ventilation system in the cupboard leaked water onto our clothes on our first night. Annoying - yes, but the hotel fixed the problem and laundered all our clothes very swiftly. $34 for valet parking is a cheek when you've paid Casa room rates and contrary to what others have said, wifi is free. Bike hire and boogie board hire was also steep - but great fun!

Overall - I'd stay again as the hotels location wins every time if you are on vacation and want to stay on the water.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stay here a few times a year when I'm in town for business. The hotel is beautiful and the location and views are amazing. The rooms are decorated in sort of an elegant beachy theme, if that makes any sense. The rooms are comfortable, the bathooms are large and include a rubber duckie, and you can't beat early morning runs along the beach. Overall it's a beautiful place and a throwback to the California of yesteryear.

Room Tip: Make sure you have an ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Newburyport, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I took my mother to Casa Del Mar to celebrate her 80th birthday and my 46th bday as well. It was fabulous and they took royal care of us. The day I checked in, I mentioned it was our birthdays and they upgraded us to a gorgeous room overlooking the ocean. They sent up a bottle of wine as well on the house. Every step of the way they tried to help us and guide us. My brother surprised us as well and they sent up an extra bed at no charge. They delivered flowers and a champagne breakfast perfectly (from husband). They really didn't miss a beat. The location is perfect on the ocean for walks in the morning and close by to restaurants if you want to walk...but they also provided a free town car to take us to our destination at night. It could not have been a better hotel and they met and exceeded all of our needs. It was perfect! Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. Lovely public areas, right on the beach. When you walk into your room you are impressed.There are however many annoying little features in this hotel that would stop me from staying here again. There are only 2 plug sockets in the room, located under a cover which means that an Apple computer charger will not fit in to it, nor will a foreign plug adaptor. I had to charge my computer and phone in the bathroom. There is a coffee maker in the room. If you try to use it you have to clear the desk area as there is nowhere else to put it. There is not enough room for two people's toiletries in the bathroom. Worst of all is the soundproofing. We could hear the people in the next room talking, drying their hair and even opening and closing drawers. We booked breakfast inclusive, only to find that coffee, cereal and a croissant exceeded the breakfast credit. What a joke when you are paying $600 a night. They don't tell you that breakfast is up to a maximum of $30 when you book. If I had been here for any more than one night I would have moved.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sherman Oaks, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I had a delicious dinner with a wonderful view of the ocean. The food is excellent and the service is top notch. Then into the lounge for cocktails and live music. Great atmosphere with a great vibe!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Devon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Having stayed at the Bel Air, the Beverly Hills, L'Ermitage, the Peninsula, the Four Seasons, the Ritz as well as others including Shutters, I now stay almost exclusively at the Casa. It is right on Santa Monica Beach, the views are wonderful, the pool is pleasant, and the windows open. Breakfast at the Casa is always superb with freshly made pico de gallo, great espresso, and very healthy and delicious choices. The spa is one of the better ones. The parking staff are all great as is the reception crew. There is always a welcome for returning guests and it is generally quiet although the bar area can be quite boisterous some evenings.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms on the 5th floor with a patio are splendid!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

from Disneyland. We decided to stop & stay in Santa Monica. I booked 2 ocean view, not partial ocean view, through Expedia. Requested early check in at 12pm & was told that the rooms were being cleaned. So I'm thinking maybe an hour or 2 to clean the rooms. Checked with the front desk at 2pm & guess what, NOT ready. We hing around the lobby, checking in every half hour & the rooms wasn't ready until 4pm. That's the normal check in time! Really...

We got our rooms keys & headed up there to noticed that it was barely a partial view. View of the parking lot & if you can turn your head quite far to the right, awww ocean view. Since it was for 1 night until we headed home, I didn't want to waste our time complaining to the front desk.

The rooms were very nice & clean. Hotel was located steps from the beach & not that far from the pier. We also walked to 3rd street promenade that night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
jbarela, General Manager at Casa del Mar, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear sc156,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience at Casa del Mar. My apologies for the issues you experienced checking in at the front desk and that the room did not fully meet your expectations. These comments will help us in correcting our services.

James Barela, General Manager
Hotel Casa del Mar

Been to Casa del Mar? Share your experiences!