“Unique place with character, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% Off View Rooms
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Unique place with character, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed for business, so I did not test out the room service, restaurants, gym, or many of the other amenities. I basically used the room. I didn't think it was fair to give the hotel 5/5 stars based only on the room.

The room itself was spacious, well-appointed, quiet and extremely clean. I was on the 3rd (lobby) floor looking toward the neighboring hotel (Shutters) and the beach. In the bathroom, they had nice amenities available for sale in case you forgot anything. My only gripe about the room is that the thermostat faced the end of a built-in bookcase. It made it impossible to get an angle or enough light to view the thermostat settings, which in turn made it hard to control the room temperature exactly.

The location is right on the beach. It's a great place from which to take your morning run or stroll. You're maybe 1/2 mile from the pier, and an additional few steps to Santa Monica's main shopping and entertainment area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Nicely situated on the beach close to the pier and well decorated, the hotel has rather thin walls and floors. I'd recommend the 7th (top) floor to avoid hearing footfalls. Not much you can do about the thin walls, though. Price is high and you don't get anything included except a nonlocal, right wing newspaper (and no choice in the matter).

• Stayed November 2012
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had an ocean facing room and it was also a great view. Really a gorgeous hotel and excellent service from the valet and bellhop to the front desk and concierge (Samantha rocked) and the restaurant Catch with very accomodating staff. I was in for the week for the AFM film market and it was very busy!. I was always able to get a table for breakfast and lunch when I needed and late night meetings & drinks in the awesome lobby/bar was a great starting point or end of the night landing strip. Music almost every night in the bar (Jazz trio or a singer). Room was high end. Very large sitting area and a great desk with lots of light. Big bathroom with jet tub and you could open the window to look out to the ocean (room 224). Had a great room service one night, arrived hot and quick. Let's be clear not an inexpensive joint but well worth it and you CANNOT beat the location, steps away from a beach jog right on the sand. Also I judge hotels on the little touches and they had many- great bathroom products(shampoos and other), a very well stocked mini-bar and they even give you a rubber duck for your bath and a little teddy bear on your bed at night, funny! I took them home for my twin boys. Sorry to have such a sunny review(LOL) but it was just about a flawless stay. Okay here it is so you think I'm not a paid shill, I had forgotten my shaving cream and I called housekeeping for a free whatever they had it was cheap barbosal shaving cream which dries your face right out, bad stuff . So that's it, I highly recommend and will stay again here for next years AFM.

Room Tip: Room 224 is ocean facing and very comfortable walk from all the action but is quiet.
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel has a wonderful location and looks very impressive from outside, but that is about all that can be said in its favour.

Arriving in Santa Monica for the first time, after a 12 hour flight, we were about half an hour earlier than the published check-in time but were made to feel that we were completely unreasonable in arriving too early and were told to come back later!! - during worldwide travel over many years we have never come across such unhelpful check-in staff. Clearly, good hotels will do everything possible to accomodate travel plans and will re-allocate rooms where it is helpful - Casa del Mar made no attempt whatsoever.

As has been mentioned in other reviews, the rooms have no sound-proofing, and conversations and 'activities' from adjoining rooms are so clear that it sometimes sounds as though you have others in your room. Complaints at reception were met with a shrug of the shoulders.

When the Wi-Fi in our room stopped working it took 3 separate complaints before I was even believed that it did not work. Conversations between 2 members of reception indicated that they did not believe it was not working and did not believe that I had previously complained. I eventually insisted that somebody try it in my room and it was then acknowledged that it was not working. There was no apology and I was told that the router was in the room below mine, but they could not disturb the occupants to repair it, so I would have to wait until they checked-out.

When I booked, I opted for the choice of "Bed and Breakfast", but in fact what this meant was that we were given a "credit" of an amount to deduct from the breakfast cost. Whilst I didn't have too much of a problem with this in principle, I was quite shocked to find that I was expected to pay between 15% and 20% gratuity on the breakfast content of my room rate. I specifically left this blank as i thought it irregular practice, but on check-out I found that the staff had falsified my account by adding the gratuity to the bill themselves, even though I had signed it without!!

Overall, I found the staff to be unhelpful, unfriendly, and desparately in need of training.

To sum up - this hotel charges 5 star prices, but comes nowhere close to providing a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Izumo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed a night in mid November. Our staying penthouse was very luxury and comfortable. All services is very friendly, helpfully and quickly. Bad point was nothing. we are looking forward to stay again.

Room Tip: We should better have reservations at original web site with our requests in detail.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a lovely, high-end hotel on the beach at Santa Monica, within walking distance of all that Santa Monica has to offer. Rooms are bright, spacious enough, and very comfortably furnished.

Taking a bath in the jetted tub while watching television is a great way to relax.

Whatever material is used in the mattress topper caused a somewhat uncomfortable retention of body heat for me, though it wasn't a problem for my spouse.

The bar area in the lobby is wonderful and overlooks the beach. However, the service was almost comically slow on a Sunday night, even with fewer than a dozen people in there.

Also, the wait for the valet for bring our car was so long at one point, we just found parking on the street so that we wouldn't have any delays the morning of our departure.

Despite the "patience" issues, it's a wonderful place and I'd happily return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've stayed in all the so called luxury hotels in Santa Monica, and by far this property is in a class of its own. The building itself is stunning, as is its location, and the lobby, restaurant bar area and vibe second to none. Service 5 star all the way, and that's always what makes or breaks the few that fall into the "best" category. Was busy when I checked in, guessing that's par for the course at this property, but management team on top of everything, Sam at front desk was great, room service, Raymond, awesome and had to sort out logistics and Gregory, guest relations, is as good as it gets in the hospitality business. Awesome rooms. Great gym and pool and jacuzzi, also. Will stick with this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Casa del Mar? Share your experiences!