“Perfection on the beach” 5 of 5 stars

Casa del Mar
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1910 Ocean Way, Santa Monica, CA 90405 (Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
san francisco
“Perfection on the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I just returned from a 3 day weekend with my husband and 3 yr old daughter-and can not be happier with our decision to stay here! We opted for a room with a patio that was steps from the pool-the hot tub was more of a huge kiddie pool that was perfect for us and our little one! The bathroom was spacious-huge jacuzzi tub, separate glass shower separate toilet room-just perfect! The bed and linens were fabulous. We had a king bed and turned the settee that was in the room onto the perfect bed for our daughter.
The lounge was great-spacious with live music most evenings. Dinner at Catch was good as well. Room service breakast was lovely and worth the expense.
You can't beat the location-right on the beach, easy walking to all the area attractions. Not sure why the price here is cheaper than Shutters but I am not going to argue! We have stayed at the Viceroy, JW Marriott before but will now make Casa Del Mar our Santa Monica staple!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is certainly a beautiful hotel in a lovely position on Santa Monica beach. The service was very good. The room was quite small and in retrospect I would have paid the extra $50 for a larger room as we had a roll away in the room. The breakfast was very nice.
We had booked an ocean view room and the first room we were given you had to crane your head to sea the ocean. The next room we were given was on what they called the second floor and although it looked straight onto the beach you had to duck or sit on the window sill to enjoy the view.
The other thing I felt was strange was the bed linen. Although the bed was extremely comfortable the sheets did not reach the end of the bed and hence were not tucked in.
I also found the AC to be extremely noisy. I turned the room off but the noise seemed to be coming from the main unit.
I think perhaps after a long flight it may have been better to be closer to the promenade to be closer to shops and restaurants as the choice was very limited on the beach.
We ended up eating dinner early at Shutters next door and were quite disappointed.
We loved Santa Monica and if we went back for a few days would probably choose this hotel again but not for a one night stop over.

Room Tip: If travelling with a child go for the larger room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Beautiful and comfortable lobby with amazing views, fireplaces and snacks. Great food at restaurant and bar. Luxurious, and comfortable room, including bed and bathroom. Great views of beach, mountains and pier. Small, but beautiful, well-suited pool and hot tub. Great spa. Service is second to none! Perfect location in Santa Monica/LA. This hotel is a great vacation in and of itself. Definitely want to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My wife and I had a great time at the casa del Mar. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Robert, conciege, was nice with great restaurant recommendations, reservations and we were taken in the house car. Very professional staff and a great room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

In August I had to find a place where to spend one week in SM: so I read carefully all the reviews. Finally I decided for Casa del Mar: a perfect decision.
The hotel it is on the beach: and this is worth the choice.
We chose a room with frontal sea view and I spend all days at least 30 minutes looking at the beach and at the ocean.
Breakfast was really good (and a little bit expensive): having it looking at the sea is priceless!
It has a nice gym even if the best thing is running on the beach!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here. The room was gorgeous with a wonderful ocean view, and the staff was very helpful and accommodating. We enjoyed being walking distance from downtown Santa Monica, the Pier, the Ocean, and the Promenade. It was such a lovely and romantic place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We always look forward to staying at Casa del Mar when we travel to LA about once a year. It's definitely a treat for my husband and I, and on this last trip, for our 4-month-old baby too. The hotel is in the best location in Santa Monica - one of the 2 hotels directly in front of the beach - and nearby to 3rd Street Promenade, Main Street, and Malibu. The staff is always friendly and courteous and go out of their way to make us feel at home. Upon checking into our room this time, our mini fridge and bathtub spout was not working. I needed the refrigerator for our baby's milk, and was looking forward to a bath after a long cross-country trip. It was a little disappointing that we were not transferred immediately, and had to wait until the next day to be transferred rooms. Our second room was slightly bigger and had no problems at all. During our stay, I took advantage of the complimentary Jaguar service, which dropped me off at Main Street so that I could walk around for an hour while my husband watched the baby in the evening. That was a nice touch, although I ended up taking a taxi back because I forgot my cell phone at the hotel room to have them come pick me up again. :) The bar area is nice, and we invited friends to come join us for cocktails and enjoy the live jazz band one night. It was also nice to have family over to watch the football game on TV while we enjoyed great food in the lounge.

We took advantage of the pool area one afternoon too and went swimming with the baby in the hot tub. The area was lacking an attendant, but it's nice to sit outside with the beautiful ocean view.

We're looking forward to our next trip and recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking for relaxation while traveling in LA.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casa del Mar? Share your experiences!