We used Standard Limousine Service to bring us to the hotel. MUCH better than renting a car, using valet parking etc. It cost $80.00 excluding tip. You do not need a car here. All restaurants are within walking distance and if you are only here for a getaway it is one less thing to worry about.
We checked in easily and were taken to our room which was really quite small. All rooms are the same size and the bed occupies most of the room. That's ok because the decor was lovely and the view serene. The bath tub has jet sprays and you can be accompanied by a rubber duck which sits on the tub's edge. The pool is miniscule and you are meant to sit around it rather actually swim in it and there is also a small hot tub on the side. It suited me. A long awaited paperback and restorative mango smoothies were very relaxing and an antidote to a hectic busy life. the brunch on Sunday was amazingly delicious. It is a la carte and you choose three dishes from a set menu. So wonderful and the head waiter fussed over us like an old and adored uncle. It was so sweet ! Lunch was mediocre at best on other days. You would be advised to go elsewhere. Tiny indifferent portions and not very good tasting. I cannot understand the disparity. We went for dinner to an italian restaurant and strongly recommend asking the concierge for advice. They are very knowledgeable. Had dinner one night at Shutters next door... on the beach level. One word..Awful. I had the shortribs on mash . VERY over salted and I swear the potatoes were instant. You would be better off in surrounding eateries.
( Now a small point. If you are paying this much for a room it is very cheesy to charge for WiFi. I felt just a little bit gouged.)
The beach in front of the hotel is over 20 miles long. Rent bikes and have a wonderful long ride. So much fun ! Avoid Sat/Sun if you can. It is Very crowded on the beach walks and can be a bit "over the top". During the week the beach and bike trails are virtually deserted.
I am going back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Casa del Mar is located right on the sand in the heart of the Southern California seaside community of Santa Monica, mere steps from the Pacific Ocean on Santa Monica Bay. The hotel is adjacent to the historic Santa Monica Pier, the dynamic Third Street Promenade, Main Street, the elegant shopping and dining areas of Montana Avenue, as well as the gardens, walkways and expansive ocean panoramas of cliff-top Palisades Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Casa del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Del Mar Hotel Santa Monica
- Casa Del Mar Santa Monica