“Expensive ESP the valet parking” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Singapore, Singapore
“Expensive ESP the valet parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We wanted to stay at the Santa Monica beach hence we paid alittle more than our budget to stay in this hotel. Location was as near to the beach and pier as it gets.

The rooms lives up the Marriott reputation. But not the Service. The sercuity box at our room is not pin based but key based which was quite strange for us. We called the reception but the lady who picked up the phone wasn't very friendly or bothered to listen. She sent someone up after we called back the second time and he didn't solve the problem. So we gave up and just lock our valuables in the luggage. Valet parking are usd35 per night. We stayed at other hotels in USA during our 15 days trip and this was the only hotel who charged parking for guest.

The grounds around the pool was nice. The small pool was heated and we saw a lady swimming there in cool January weather.

Overall an average experience/stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your response about your recent stay here at the JW Marriott Le Merigot. I'm truly sorry about your experience with the security box and the service you received when calling the reception . We will use your response to assist us in making a better experience for all of our guest.
Our parking prices may seem high compared to other cities,but are very competitive for Santa Monica. There is limited parking in our area and Le Merigot still has the lowest parking prices on the beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I traveled here for work recently and stayed here because I am fairly loyal to Marriott. I travel a ton and stay at hotels almost every week 2-3 nights per week.
I was checked into an Ocean View room that turned out to be eclipsed ocean view. There is another building between this hotel and the ocean so all the rooms have sub-optimal views of the shore. My first room was fairly warm so I turned on the AC and a few minutes later noticed it wasn't really blowing any cool air and also it smelled like burning electrical wiring. I called the front desk only to have them suggest that engineering come up to my room which quite frankly I hate because, “Who wants engineering in your room doing repairs when you've just checked in and it is hot?” Why do they do this anyway? Do they have to verify the AC is not working and that you are actually, indeed smelling a burning smell? Most finer hotels offer to move you right away when this happens because they assume that folks don’t want to be bothered with staff in their full price room but apparently not this one. Anyway, I suggested that I would prefer to not have to deal with room maintenance issues given my packed scheduled, need to host conference calls, etc and so they said they would upgrade me to a new room with two double beds. I said an upgrade was unnecessary but if the AC worked then that would be okay. I explained that I needed to host a conference call in the next few minutes and to please not bother me until I notified them I was ready to move. I started my call. In 5 minutes, "whack, whack, whack" on the door. I placed my call on mute and went to the door. It was engineering, exactly the folks I said to NOT send. I asked him to leave. 30 minutes later, the hotel phone in the room began ringing. I picked up the received and put it back on to end the annoying call. The phone rang again. I picked up the receiver and place it on the table to not be bothered. Line 2 began ringing. Infuriated, I excused myself from the call I was hosting and answered line 2 telling them I had asked to not be bothered and had now been interrupted 4 times.
My call ended. I was transferred to the huge room at the end of the call. I noticed the sheers on the windows were torn and filthy dirty. See attached picture. I noticed, white "stuff" splattered on the bed skirt. Going down the hall there were marks and stains in the carpet. I was annoyed. . . . another run-down Marriott, long in the tooth. How does such a property keep the Marriott name? Where are the franchise inspectors? I went to dinner and returned to notice a half bottle of cheap red wine and cheese with a card addressing me by my last name. Ambivalence set in. Someone made an attempt to apologize for the inconvenience, but I had no interest in eating cheese or drinking a cheap bottle of red wine and I hate when strangers address you by your last name. It reminds me of a high school coach addressing the kids by last name, impersonal, condescending, thoughtless. The rest of the note was thoughtful and apologetic.

Ambivalent and partially disgusted I put the cheese and wine in the hall untouched. What a thoughtless gift I thought. Give the guest some cheese and it will make it okay. I also noticed free breakfast cards, 4 of them for one person - thoughtless gesture yet again. Give a guest a freebie he'll never use. I don't eat breakfast, virtually never. I flashed back to the remembrance of telling the staff at check in when asked "how many keys?", I said, "One is fine, it's just me" What were they thinking, I'll recruit some random stranger to join me for breakfast?

I undressed and started to get in the shower and noticed the bathroom seemed dark. One of the light bulbs was burned out. I called the front desk and asked them to leave me a new one outside my door as I was just getting into the shower. I placed the burned out one out in the hall for housekeeping to retrieve.
I went to sleep. In the middle of the night, I awoke in a sweat. Dysfunctional AC in yet another room.
The next night, I arrived to no replenished toiletries. I called for soap and shampoo only. "Do you need anything else" I said, "No, only the soap and shampoo, I don't need lotion and conditioner' don't bring me any of those". Minutes later, a very lovely person arrived with an two arms full of everything, shampoo, soap, lotion, conditioner. Although she was so very nice I felt like once again, my specific request had been partially heeded. That night I had a note in my room from the hotel to please provide feedback on the comment card in my room. Annoyed by this stay, I thought I would. There was not comment card in my room. I typed and email. I couldn’t find an email on the letter saying who/where to send it. I picked up the phone next to my bed to call and ask. The cordless phone was completely dead. Disgusted, I called the front desk and asked them. The manager emailed me the next day and was sincerely apologetic. I appreciate his response. He comped the entire stay but I told him that really doesn’t benefit me, the one who was inconvenienced guest but only saved my employer a bunch of money. He offered some points. I said okay. A week later. . . .no points. I emailed the manager. He said I’m sorry “system issues” and they were forthcoming.

To be away from home so much, this entire stay was super annoying. I encourage you to look at the attached photo. . . . a picture is worth a thousand words. It's a metaphor of the profound neglect and inattention to detail both in the condition of the property and also to simple requests for the basics. I will likely never stay in this hotel ever again, . . . there are other properties and specifically other Marriott's that get it right and life is too short to waste part of it in a thoughtless property with much neglect both in services and in property maintenance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed three nights at this hotel. We were upgraded to a junior suite and had a view of the water which was lovely. The only negative about room 428 is that it is next to some sore of housekeeping room. Every morning at around 8am someone would push something against the wall so hard that our headboard would shake.

The location is great for walking to the beach, boardwalk and Third Street Promenade. The pool is small but nice, the spa is also small but the staff is great. There are some nice outdoor seating areas with heaters where we enjoyed our evening cocktails. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were celebrating our anniversary in Santa Monica as part of a road trip through California visiting from Vancouver, BC.
The location of the hotel is centrally located and within easy walking distance of all the major attractions.
Le Merigot's attention to detail from check in to check out, is outstanding,the team, from valet service, to check-in, to housekeeping, etc. The property offers superior service and top-notch standards, consistent with top tier hotels.
Also, the reception/check staff added their personal touch in sending a Happy Anniversary card, together with a bottle of sparking wine and chocolate-dipped strawberries.
It helped make for a memorable stay in the Santa Monica area.

The rooms are large and very well appointed, with comfortable beds and large bathrooms.

North Stonington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We weren't able to snag one of the rooms with a view of the water or the pier, not unless you leaned over the balcony at a dangerous angle (but at least we had a balcony). The room was nicely appointed although we had to ask for our air conditioning unit to be fixed since it did not work on the first nice. The wifi wasn't working when we arrived, either, but they comped us for breakfast which was very nice. Jessica at the front desk was AMAZINGLY helpful and cheerful and took care of everything that went amiss; she made our stay much happier than it would have been had nobody dealt with these issues as swiftly and successfully as she did.

Room Tip: Not all rooms facing the water have water views--our balcony room did not permit water views unless...
Nipomo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the JW Marriott in Santa Monica on May 19, 2013! We are Platinum Marriott Rewards and were upgraded to a Junior Suite at check in. In addition to the welcome points, we enjoyed a comp ice cream, berries and wine treat in our room later that night. Spacious room with all the comforts, especially that great bed! Nice breakfast and received a $33 credit on their morning menu. Without exception, everyone was friendly and attentive to our every need. It's great to interact with people that seem genuinely glad to see you and who appreciate your business. We highly recommend this hotel to everyone!

Belmont, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed 4 nights here for our anniversary. Was able to book the room with Marriott Rewards points, and because we came at a less-busy time of year, were happily upgraded to large room with a huge balcony overlooking the the Pier and beach. I will start out by saying that you should be prepared to pay $35/nt for valet parking - painful but it is LA and everything seems to be valet parking so you just have to accept it. Other than that - this place is GREAT. The location could not be better - easy walking distance to the Pier and to the Third Street Promenade. The beach and beach-side paths are 30 seconds from the back door. The staff at the hotel are the BEST anywhere, so friendly and helpful. We asked John at the bar if there was a management mandate that staff members say "hello" and go out of their way to smile or try to help customers (I got lost looking for a rest room at one point, and a staff member stopped, got on the elevator with me to another floor, and took me around 2 corners to make sure I found it) and he said there was no such mandate - but that the hiring managers are just looking for that kind of personality when they hire. Well, props to the managers, because they're doing a great job spotting those people in the interviews. Sure, one should expect great service from a good hotel, but you don't always get it. I want to thank everyone there for proving to my husband (who worries that I travel cross-country for work) that Californians can be every bit as polite and friendly as Southerners. This was a great anniversary trip, and we can't wait to return to Le Merigot!

Room Tip: There is construction on a large condo building across the street on the "city" side of th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot? Share your experiences!