“Great location/Close to Santa Monica Pier” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
“Great location/Close to Santa Monica Pier”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I found this hotel to be gorgeous. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. It had a pool, an outside area to eat or drink, access to the beach, restaurant, bar. The only thing is that is not located on the beach. However, there are no hotels that I saw in Santa Monica on the beach.
Most of them have access to the beach. There was no free internet access, it was $15 for 24 hours to use the internet in your room, I thought it was high. There are many restaurants and shopping areas within a 5 min walk from your hotel. This hotel is also very close to Venice, at least for us who rented a car. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two nights this year following a three night same time last year. The location is great-close to the Santa Monica pier, beach is one block away, promenade shopping is a nice doable walk. All of the staff were friendly, smiled when we were greeted each and every time. There is a gym and a heated outdoor pool, which our kids loved.

We stayed in a very large room with two double beds and extra floor space for four suitcases without being cramped. Bathroom is off to the side of the room separated by a wall so you don't hear when someone is in there.

Our room stayed dark w two sets of curtains in the early morning.

And the room is well kept in terms of cleanliness - smells fresh, not damp or musty! As good as it was last year.

We just might be back for a 3rd stay!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently stayed with my sister at the JW Marriot in Santa Monica and had a very disappointing start to our holiday. After two flights (one long international flight from Australia), I was greeted on arrival at the hotel to the news that the request for twin beds had not been received. In all of the years (over 25 years) that I have been traveling around the world, I have never been met with such unwillingness to resolve the situation. After a frustratingly long discussion, it was apparent that the hotel were not interested in assisting me (even though there were vacancies) and we could easily have been upgraded. Instead I was offered a camp bed; but the room we'd been allocated wasn't large enough to accommodate this and neither my sister or I paid for six nights accommodation at a five star hotel to sleep on a camp bed! Such a shame to start my holiday like this - I can't understand why the staff would not want to ensure that I would want to stay with JW Marriott again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the JW Marriott in Santa Monica to celebrate our 24th anniversary. We picked this hotel based on it's location and JW reputation. We were disappointed. This might make a decent hotel for a business meeting but don't go there for a special occasion or family vacation. Four days before arrival I received an email asking of any special needs we might have. I replied and explained it was an anniversary and would like a nice room and an early check in. No reply. We arrived at 1:30 pm and were informed our room was not ready but we could check back at 3. The room we were given had a view of an alley and a building under construction and the carpet seemed worn and had a large stain. No mention by any staff member about our anniversary which was disappointing. The lobby bar is tiny with no beer on tap...really. On the positive side the location is very good in Santa Monica. Easy walking distance to the beach, promenade, and Pier. The staff was attentive and eager to help. The concierge service was excellent especially the young lady from Lake Tahoe. Overall the JW Marriott Marigot was ok but it was not worthy of it's category 8 Marriott rating and did not meet our expectations.

• Stayed March 2013
Santa Clarita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I just completed a stay at Le Merigot that was a combination business meeting with a wedding anniversary celebration added on to the end. I cannot say enough about the service at the hotel. As a business traveler who is no stranger to Marriott hotels, I am always looking for a JW to set itself apart via service, not necessarily the physical condition of the hotel as most Marriott hotels that I frequent are in fine physical condition. Of the numerous JW's I frequent, the service I received here was unmatched.
I let the hotel know that my wife would be joining me to celebrate our anniversary and was provided with an upgraded room that had a wonderful balcony and ocean view. If that is all I received, it would have been more than enough. However, on our anniversary evening (which they somehow knew), we returned to our room to find a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a handwritten anniversary note from Ms. Appel. This was completely unnecessary, but not the first time Marriott has gone out of their way to make me feel valued as a guest. It is nice to know that in this day and age of cost-cutting measures, this particular property still understands the value of making their guests feel valued. Granted, I have held elite status with marriott for a number of years, but that has not always led to such outstanding service. Beyond Ms. Appel, Jessica at the front desk provided exceptional service.
As far as the physical condition, which a number of reviewers have complained about, I found every aspect of the hotel to be clean and in order. For a hotel that was built in 1997 (I believe), it is showing its age in some places (particularly lack of outlets in the guest rooms, some scratches on the woodwork), but at the end of the day I want a clean and well appointed room - which I received here. My only real complaint regarding the room was a mechanical noise that was heard continuously, day and night. At first I thought it might be the elevators, but my room was nowhere near the elevators. I got used to it and it really didn't prevent quality sleep, but was slightly annoying.
Although the hotel does not offer a concierge lounge, the breakfast vouchers provided to Gold/Platinum members for use in the hotel restaurant allowed for a wide variety of breakfast options and was greatly appreciated.
So all in all, if you view JW as meaning service, this hotel will not disappoint. And the location could not be better - it is a short walk to the Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Le merigot does not justify rates charged. Phones were antiquated and rooms equal to courtyard Marriott but 3 times the price. Staff was great! Would never stay there again. Manager tried to appease us best he could and we appreciated his efforts but quality of hotel does not justify price! Bar crew were very good and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Beachwood, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Near the beach, Santa Monica Pier and The Promenade, the location is an excellent choice for tourists or business travelers with some free time. As part of a small conference, this also is a good choice for meetings.

The guest rooms were quiet and comfortable. My room - 221 - was very spacious. But the view was of the side of the building next door. If this had been a personal vacation or special occasion I would have objected to the room.

I found the wait staff in the restaurant and the outside bar area to be very accommodating and professional. But the 5 star service award goes to the front-desk & concierge staff. Very friendly and helpful. I had forgotten my cell-phone charger and they graciously charged my phone off their computer over night.

The outside bar area was a real treat - day and evening. Perfect for a light lunch or evening drinks.

Yes, the rooms are a bit tired - carpet and upholstery a bit worn in places. But I never questioned its cleanliness. And the bathroom had a magnifying mirror which is such a wonderful perk for women applying eye make-up!

I was traveling on business, but would definitely consider this hotel if I am in the area for personal travel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot? Share your experiences!