“Great location/friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Auburn, California
“Great location/friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the beach - Less than a minute after you exit behind the hotel pool area. The staff was friendly and attentive. Our room was moderately sized and well furnished. Clean. The hotel is close to the pier; but, far enough away so there aren't any issues with the pier crowd. We'd stay there again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with an excellent location just South of the SM pier on Ocean Blvd. The employees without exception were excellent and made my wife and I feel welcome. They went out of their way to make sure that our stay was going well and that our needs were met. Indeed, they rivaled some of the personal at top flight hotels in Asia.
We ate 2 breakfasts in their restaurant. The food was very good and again the service exceptional. The price of the meals were in line of what I would expect in a high end resort hotel.
The room is nice size with excellent bedding and bed. It would have been nice if the bathroom had dual sinks. The shower was fine but not exceptional.
The location is very good - an easy walk to the SM pier, 3rd Street Shopping District and the mall. The hotel is a block off the beach, across a small street.
That being said, the facility is showing its age. The carpets (both public and guest room) are worn and show the results of high wear in a beach location.
Parking is expensive - $35 a night - more than the rental car cost, but probably inline with the area.

Room Tip: I would stay off Ocean Blvd because of the traffic that generally is present.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we valet parked our car, our trip was magnificent!! I booked a room on Feb 28 to accommodate myself and my two twenty something age daughters. Before our arrival I had called Nicholas the concierge to inquire about fun nightlife for the 3 of us to enjoy, he had it all laid out for us, different options etc. Abram the bellman was awesome, he's exactly what every hotel should have to greet their guests. He really made our trip to the room fun. We dined at The Ivy on Robertson, a must do, later that evening using Nicholas' club recommendations we had a great night of dancing. Upon our return that evening we were greeted with cold bottles of water and Luis the bellman rode up the elevator with us. The next morning we dined at Cezzane for breakfast, the best eggs Benedict ever. Being a Marriott Gold Elite member I was granted a late check out of 1:00 to allow us to walk to Venice Beach. The staff remembered us, asked us about the places we went and how it was. I used my Marriott points for this room, was surprised at how I still treated perfectly being on points. This was my third stay at the Le Merigot, I cannot say how impressed we all were with the staff. I need to work on capturing the last reviewers complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries:-) I was upgraded to a nicer room on this trip than I had been in the past, which makes all the difference. I wish I had known there were rooms with a balcony and at least a partial view of the ocean. We will be back at the end of March, we look forward to Abram, Nicholas, Luis and Jonathan the front desk clerk who made our girls weekend the best ever.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay as the location is great, and the room was comfortable and beds terrific. The disappointment was the bathroom. The shower was poor, the bath drained very slowly as did the sink! The wifi was expensive and rather underpowered. Other than that the staff were very cheerful and eager to help at all times.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
palm beach gardens, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I didn't know where to stay in the LA area because we have heard so many stories about different hotels. One becomes confused with misinformation too. My son told me about Le Merigot and that I would really love it. I took my 13-year-old granddaughter Samantha out to LA-Santa Monica on a 5-day vacation during President's week. Samantha was very excited about the possibilities. We arrived at LAX and rented a car. The drive was only 20 minutes to Le Merigot in Santa Monica. We had a beautiful view of the ocean from our window. Upon arrival, the bellman could not have been nicer as well as Jessica at the front desk. Our room had the most comfy beds of top quality. We were too tired to go out from jetlag and traveling, so we ate dinner downstairs. Very classy bar and open cafe to eat lite dinner. The Cezanne is downstairs one level and perfect for any meal as well. We ate breakfast in there and felt like queens. The concierges Amanda and Nicholas were superb. They both did so many kindnesses for us that I couldn't believe it. I asked Amanda where an Apple store was since I had left the plug at home accidentally for our iPhones. She said they had one there and we could use it for the week. What a life saver!!! She was pleasant, lovely, very helpful and a great asset to Le Merigot. We applaud her for all that she did for us. Nicholas too was such a gentleman, one of so much knowledge and stories to share. My Samantha loved talking to him, and he always made her feel special. At night we found a cheese platter sent, and another night we found chocolate covered strawberries and apple cider champagne in our room kindly sent up by the concierges. That really made Samantha feel so special and Grandma too! They set up our dinner at The Ivy with a birthday surprise for Samantha and a surf lesson with Doug of Blue Rider. The weather was not the best in the low 60s during the day and high 40s at night. Amanda checked with Matt, the owner of Blue Rider Surf, and he had Doug meet us on the beach. Samantha thoroughly enjoyed her surf lesson that Amanda set up for us. She actually stood up about seven times in the alloted time. When we arrived back at the hotel, Amanda asked Samantha all about the lesson and was very encouraging.
Nicholas made a dinner appointment for us at The Lobster impromptu. Wow, this place was fantastic for lobster! Samantha had a 2 pounder and enjoyed it so much with Nicholas' recommendation. We knew about the Ivy, so we had called ahead of time and the concierges made that reservation for us. Any question we needed about directions or names of sights, both Amanda and Nicholas were there to help us out. I want to add that the room was lovely with marble-floored bathroom and every amenity one could want.
Upon departing Le Merigot, we were very sad to say adieu. If you want a wonderful hotel that is both convenient should you want to take a shuttle or drive, choose Le Merigot. They definitely do it right. Thank you Le Merigot for your staff's smiles each day and every act of kindness.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the ocean, if possible. Just a lovely experience for granddaughter an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Although the hotel is shopworn, and the two rooms they showed me looked as if they had both hosted rowdy bachelor parties, the location is great.

I had planned a wonderful Valentine's day for my wife that included a stay at the JW with her having a spa day and me just sitting on my deck soaking up rays.

When we arrived we were apprised of the fact that they had already pre-booked all deck rooms and that I would just have to settle for a room.

What they put me in, and I showed this to staff, had a view of the room next to mine, and I could look out over corroded railing outside of my window. The carpet was scary looking and would not warrant walking on it in bare feet. The furniture was scarred from too many nights of guest revelry in the rooms. Not quite what I expected from a Marriott let alone a flagship JW.

While my wife was being pampered in their spa, which she totally enjoyed, I was seething at my inability to enjoy the aspect of the hotel that I wanted to enjoy. So, I went to the front desk where Beth listened to what I was saying, and then did something about it.

She found a room with a deck, sent Erick with me to ensure that it met my needs, and then proceeded to change rooms for me. Although the room was as tawdry as the other room, it did have my precious deck so that I could do what I came for.

The rest of the stay went without a hitch, thanks to Beth.

Room Tip: Insist upon an ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver. CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here on Marriott Reward points. The stay was so bad that they refunded my points after I checked out. Let me only address the positives The outdoor area is beautiful and relaxing. The food, although expensive was tasty. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel. Your experience was not typical and I want to be able to speak with you more in depth about your stay. Please contact me directly at Caroline.appel@lemerigothotel.com.
Thank you for providing your feedback. We appreciate your comments as they will help us to improve and provide the type of service our guests have come to expect from a JW Marriott.
Caroline

Been to JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot? Share your experiences!