“just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Pasadena, California
“just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel needs some updating as it looks old and disheveled. A bit overpriced for what is basically a run of the mill Marriott, not up to JW standards. Room service left a lot to be desired. My order was wrong so I had to wait for missing items and the phone operator who had made the mistake was very clueless and seemed a bit annoyed that I called to point out the mistake. Not what I would expect from a Marriott employee. The plus points to this hotel were it's location,wonderful bed, and with the one exception mentioned above, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would probably stay there again,I would just avoid using room service.

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to a room with a water view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
I would like to thank you for staying with us and taking out time to give feedback on the areas of improvement.
Whilst our endeavor is to exceed every guest expectations we seem to have failed to meet yours and shall work harder to ensure that we set systems and procedures to prevent such feedback from recurring.
We have taken your comments into consideration and our Food and Beverage team is reviewing our service standard.

It is through valuable feedback like yours that we strive to improve our services and exceed customer expectations.

I regret the inconvenience you have experienced and would request you to treat this as an isolated incident and not a reflection of our normal services.

Me and my team look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again, when we can demonstrate to you how your feedback has resulted in immediate correction and re-establish our credibility with you.

Kindest Regards,

Caroline Appel

575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had great stay at this intimate beach hotel. The negative comments in many review about the quality of the building are somewhat valid. It is mainly the finish and paint. Lots of brass and marble and the brass finishes need redone. Some scuffs on hall walls from the carts. That was it as far as we were concerned. Rooms are big and well appointed with everything you need.We had ocean view, but not all do. Food was outstanding and good value. Breakfast buffet will be all you need for the day. Pool and fitness facilities are small. Looked to be an excellent spa though. Half a block from the beach and beach path, block to Santa Monica Pier, 10 minutes to 3rd street shopping, 15 minute walk to Venice along the beach path. For us perfect location without the hassle and security concerns of being actually on the beach
Staff are well trained and very friendly. Very good service. Excellent value. We had two rooms for our family for what one would cost at the Lowes next store or the Fairmont down the road.

Room Tip: Ocean view is better than not and away from street. Interior view rooms overlook courtyard and pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very old building with very low quality. Good location but not the best. The food at the restaurant is good, breakfast was excelent but roomservice at night was the worst experience ever. Not what I was expecting from a JW Marriot at all.

• Stayed January 2013
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. I apologize for your in-room dining experience and understand the importance of excellent service. I have spoken with our Director of F&B to increase supervision and training to ensure that our guests have the in-room dining experience they have come to expect from a JW Marriott.

Sincerley,
Caroline
Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had a one-night layover at LAX and needed to meet someone at RAND. I decided to stay very close to RAND and thus chose this hotel. I was extremely pleased with my choice. The hotel's location simply can't be beat - you are a few minutes from the pier and from the huge shopping mall and shopping promenade. Plus you are directly on the beach. The hotel room is very nice. It's not extreme luxury, but it's certainly in great shape and I had everything I needed. The bed was very comfortable and I didn't hear neighbors at all. The service was fantastic. I needed to have some items shipped to me at the hotel, and the Nickolas, the head concierge, waived the $2/fee per item. In fact, I'm a Hilton Diamond member and the local Hilton wouldn't do this for me! But that was just the start of the great service. Everyone I met - from the waiter in the restaurant (wonderful breakfast btw!), the maid service, and the front desk people - were super helpful and friendly. For example, I had asked the bus boys about how long a taxi to LAX would take around 6 pm. They gave me advice, and then told me how much it would cost ($35-40, a set rate by the taxis). When it came time to check out, they had the taxi ready and waiting with my bags in it. When I went to get in the taxi, they told me, "We've already negotiated the fare - it's $35. These are people who want you to have a good experience, and I really appreciated that.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor and wished I had been higher. Try to get a higher floor if possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our family of four stayed two nights at this property last week. Nothing special for JW Marriott. The rooms were a very nice size....with very large baths. We requested a roll away bed during our reservation and at check in and finally received one on the second day. Breakfast with the special Marriott coupons we received for our Marriott Gold level was still $60 for the standard breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant. The cafe next door was less and much better!

The location was excellent to go to the pier and walk the beach. The pool was heated and in use.

The management at this hotel needs to take lessons from the Anaheim Marriott on how to make Marriott members feel loved!! That was a totally different experience at a "lower" level hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I am disappointed that you stay did not meet your expectations.We take great pride in our services and it is our highest mission to go above and beyond and make your stay unforgetable.
Your comments will help us to improve and provide the level of service our guests have come to expect from a JW Marriott.
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I am a Marriott owner (Newport Beach) and use Marriott hotels whenever I can. So, I know this Marriott is not the fanciest, modernest, awesomest....

But I suspect it was likely transformed from another hotel (did not have time to look up the history), and renovation is probably difficult due to strict codes. The rooms are not the most spacious, but they are cozy and clean. The restaurant provides decent food (although one time I had the saltiest soup on this planet). The lobby is tiny but they provided hot coffee and apple cider. The staff were very friendly.

Then, there's the view, and the location, right next to the pier and promenade. We could see Catalina island and Palos Verdes from our room.

Kids went to the pool which was super warm on this day 2 days before New Year. The fitness center is again tiny but well-stocked, and the lady was again friendly and professional.

So, not extravagant, but I think it lives up to the Marriott standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

To begin, I am a seasoned veteran of hotels in the LA area. As my work requires me to travel to LA frequently, I have stayed in nearly every hotel within a twenty mile radius of LAX, and some have been so terrible, I felt it was my duty to leave a scathing review. However, the Le Merigot is, quite simply, the 'creme de la creme' of hotels in this area.

I recently stayed at the Le Merigot in Santa Monica, and was immediately impressed from the moment I stepped foot in the spacious lobby. The floor plan was clean and open, and smiles were plastered across the faces of all the staff members. The valet graciously took my luggage, and even remembered my name when I returned for my car later in the evening. The front desk was quick and helpful, emphasizing the fact that if I needed anything at all, not to hesitate to contact them during my stay. The beds were soft and comfortable, the room was a nice size, and the room was spotless.

After I unpacked, I went down to the lobby to have a drink. A nice, young, dark-haired woman greeted me in the lobby and asked if I needed anything or had any questions - a gesture that goes above and beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. I wandered outside, to find a clear swimming pool with guests spread out on lawn chairs and seated at nice patio tables. Everyone seemed very happy. I ordered a drink and the fruit parfait - to die for! It was so delicious, I would return for that alone.

In sum, the Le Merigot is a beautiful hotel with friendly and very helpful staff. As I mentioned, I've stayed at several hotels in the area, and this exceeds all of them, by far.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot? Share your experiences!