“Honest Review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Santa Monica

You added Travelodge Santa Monica to your Saves list
Travelodge Santa Monica
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3102 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405 (Santa Monica)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Certificate of Excellence 2014
baltimore
“Honest Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Wonderful hotel, highly recommend. First day I was here, I drove to the beach from hotel, everywhere charged 20.00!!! I drove back to hotel (free parking) and grabbed the number 7 bus for 1dollar and the bus arrived in 5 min. Bus stop is across the street! Clean bus, nice driver, awesome experience. My room is in the courtyard, very secure, need a key to get past huge gate. Trader Joes is a block away! Outstanding value, great housekeeping, and free small breakfast w/juice and coffee. With all the money I saved, I was able to do more shopping at 3rd street promenade,wonderful shopping and entertainment. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Oh and flat screens tv, refigerator, microwave, coffee maker in room (all new). I felt safe as a woman solo traveler.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
hereford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

very good for an overnight stay,no lifts so we had a bit of a struggle getting our heavy cases to the first floor but the room was large, well equipped, free wi fi free breakfast , very happy with our choice

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Stockton, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Well managed; spacious clean rooms; helpful staff. We had courtyard rooms, which afford a nicer view. Well located, a few miles from the ocean and downtown Santa Monica. A couple beefs, though. The breakfast area is very small, and very crowded. We went elsewhere all three days, rather than take breakfast either hovering over guests that were eating, or being hovered over by those waiting for a table. Also, this is an older property, with outside access via walkways. and no elevator. The many smokers tend to hang out on the walkways, or in the courtyard, sometimes late at night. We called the management one night at 2 AM because of noise; they took care of it within 5 minutes. All in all, a pleasant stay, in decent rooms, at a reasonable cost.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Round Hill, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Hotels in Santa Monica can been very expensive or very run down. The Travelodge Pico is neither. The price is reasonable for the area, and my room was clean and seems to have been modernized in the recent past.

This Travelodge appears to be an old motel that has been updated. The rooms open onto open air patios (or balconies overlooking these) where there is lounge furniture and grilling equipment. Upstairs rooms are accessed by concrete stairways. I haven't stayed in a place with a similar layout since the 70s, and it was very refreshing.

I noticed several awards on the office wall for perfect inspection scores from the parent company and the staff appeared to be very serious about upkeep and service.

The wireless internet worked without a problem. The cable TV had many channels but was confusing to operate: I had to keep pressing mode buttons on the remote to turn the TV or cable box on and off or to change the volume or the channel.

The continental breakfast wasn't much and the tables there were crowded in the morning. This wasn't a big deal because there is a McDonalds and a Trader Joes within a block on either side.

All in all, my stay was just fine with no bad surprises.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

This Travelodge is in a safe area with nice neighborhoods close by, yet it isn't very far off the highway. We walked to restaurants and to the Trader Joe's just across the street. The rooms were large, clean and well-appointed. The staff was always friendly and helpful. Our reservation was messed up, but they acknowledged it was their fault and corrected the situation. I don't know how they found that second room that was reserved since they were supposedly full, but we had the two rooms for the full three nights we stayed. The desk staff was always nice and helpful.
Our rooms were in the gated courtyard area which required a room key for access. There were tables and even a bbq grill if we chose to use them. They have 3 parking areas, but we had a large rental van and it was a challenge to back out every morning if you had to use the smaller one.
The free breakfast was very limited as was the space for eating. Nothing hot nor a microwave if you brought your own. This would be my only complaint. We did use this room each evening for a gathering place for snacks and conversation. There is a flat screen TV and they set out cookies.
We did not know the area and wished we had taken the time to really see the Santa Monica beach area. It had a pedestrian mall with lots of shopping and restaurants. Unfortunately, we found this on our last morning there and didn't have time to enjoy it.
We had been to Venice beach which is straight down Pico, but it is a LOT different than Santa Monica Beach! Interesting, but a bit unnerving for our group.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

After reading many hotel reviews, I decided to stay at this hotel during my vacation with 3 children: 2 fourteen-year-olds and a 9-year old. I am so glad I did. The location is great--less than 10 minutes from Santa Monica Pier and also easy freeway access. The breakfast was adequate for teenage girl appetites. The beds were comfortable. But the greatest part of our stay was after leaving. I received a call that my grandaughter had left her prized "I Heart LA" souvenir sweatshirt in the room. Unable to return, I asked if it was possible to mail it to me and charge my bill. The manager mailed it to me with a note that he was unable to charge my bill but had mailed it to me anyway. I was happy to return a check to him. And my grandaughter was so delighted to have her sweatshirt back. My many thanks to the hotel management and to the maid who was kind enough to return it. If I return to Santa Monica I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed three nights near the end of June. We got a rate of $125.00/night including tax. Great price for the area but anywhere else it would be too much for a very basic motel. We stayed in a main floor courtyard room. Had no problems with noise from above or from outside. The courtyard area was very nice and we liked having coffee out there in the mornings. Staff were friendly but we really only talked to them at check-in and check-out. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was standard continental hotel fare – not great. I stuck to toast and coffee in the mornings while there.

The hotel is quite far from the Promenade and the beach. Expect 10 – 20 minutes on the bus depending on the time of day you are traveling. A car would have been better but I don’t know what parking would have been like. Overall a good stay. However, like others have said, next time I would probably spend the extra and stay by the beach.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Santa Monica? Share your experiences!