“Best bed ever!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel California

You added The Hotel California to your Saves list
The Hotel California
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1670 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401 (Santa Monica)   |
Special Offer
Free Hotel Cali T-Shirt!
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Brisbane, Australia
“Best bed ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had been travelling through the states for nearly 3 weeks and this was our last hotel before flying home to Australia, we had the best night sleep, the bed was sooo comfortable and the shower had power! Great view from our room, excellent location, close to the pier and beach. The staff recommended a local breakfast cafe about 3 minutes walk and it was fantastic.
Only downside was the internet connection but we will definitely be back one day!!!! Loved it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Californi... S, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We are so happy that you were able to end your travel through the states at our hotel! As you pointed out, our beds are simply wonderful! We take great pride in making sure that our guests have that best night of sleep every single night here with us. We apologize for the inconvenience with the internet, it is a problem that we have realized and are working on it and shortly will be able to provide a much stronger signal for our entire hotel! We appreciate your feed back and hope that next time you're in the states you'll have at least one more great night sleep with us here at The Hotel California! Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
El Segundo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I wanted to get away for the night and came across this hotel online. We decided to go check it out before booking, and it turned out to be a really cool place! We looked at a few of the bigger, more expensive hotels, but Hotel Ca felt a lot more like a B&B. They had free wifi and breakfast. The staff at the front desk were so nice and made us feel like we were friends of theirs. That is VERY rare in most hotels these days it seems like. There is a small pathway directly to the beach, and the hotel is within walking distance to pretty much everything you need! They sell Hotel California t shirts, which were really neat. Staying at this hotel really made our night out of the house that much more special and enjoyable. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your stay-cation fun with us, we are really happy that you enjoyed your time with us so much! Our hotel does offer a different feel than the larger hotels around us and we love when our guests appreciate that and get the full experience out of it! Having people in the lobby is always a nice touch, and our staff thoroughly enjoys meeting guests and getting to know them on a more personal level as opposed to just a room number. Hopefully you were able to bring home a shirt with you and get to come back soon for some more fun at the beach!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

It was very quaint hippy place. The staff (Katy) was very helpful and friendly. No elevator or A/C. But very comfortable. Walking distance to the Pier. Quiet and safe. I would stay here again. Parking was tight and 35.00 per night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed mid-November with my wife. Great spot in Santa Monica. Very small quaint type of hotel. Really good for a short getaway. They also have nice apartment style monthly rentals for much less than most other places in the area. Overall it's a great little place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my husband's birthday and had a great time. It is a really cozy hotel with a cool vibe. There are a lot of guitars and movie posters, nothing like any of those business type hotels in Santa Monica. The front desk people were very cool and helpful with suggestions and maps. We want to go back for his next bday already!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate you coming to celebrate with us for your birthday! We are so glad to know that you had a memorable fun experience with us in Santa Monica. The "Hollywood" feel of the hotel with the music and movie displays all over really helps you get into the mindset of being in LA, we are glad you too appreciated it and took full advantage of all we have to offer! We hope to spend many more birthdays celebrating with you here at The Hotel California.
Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed at Hotel CA last week and it was so nice! We stayed in a junior suite for two nights, and it was a really cool room. The hotel is so close to the beach and they even have their own pathway there. We ate dinner at the Santa Monica Pier. It was about a 5 minute walk back to the hotel. The hotel is a really classic Southern California type of place, an LA landmark in my mind! Oh yea and the staff was really great at the front desk! Everyone should really give this place a chance and go stay a few nights!

Stayed November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let others know why you had such a great time while staying in Santa Monica at The Hotel California. It sounds like you really had a chance to enjoy all this area and our hotel have to offer. It's so nice how close we are to the pier and we love our pathway down to the beach and are thrilled you did too. We hope you will get to come back and stay with us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I usually stay at the Loews next door to this establishment. Being in the hospitality industry for many years I thought I would try this small place where I could hide for once. I was travelling on part business and part with my girlfriend.
I certainly understand this is a very small frills establishment but there are certain ethics that need to be upheld. I had so many issues including having a broken toilet that I partially repaired. It was all documented and I was assured the accountant would be contacting me. I watched two different desk attendants mortified as they typed the occurrences into the system.
Funny thing is one week after I checked out and called the accountant she had never heard of the claims and there was no documentation in the system. She had also charged a card for a deposit on our 3rd night after the card was removed and replaced in their system upon check in (there was no advance deposit required just a card held for cancellation).
She asked me to send her a new list and what I wanted so I asked for the 4th night comped.
It's been 2 more weeks and no phone call return and no e-mail response after 4 additional requests.
I would love to know who insures an establishment that keeps no guest information in their system.
Here's what was sent to the accountant ( and I didn't even mention it all) with no courtesy at all. So stay if you wish -I won't be!

"In my presence this was documented with your desk (both night and morning shift) and promised there would be recognition, there was not.
I am requesting that you remove the one night room charge on card ending**** that was charged on 10/25, this card was also (again in our presence) removed from your system upon check in on 10/23.
L L

Upon entering the room we discovered there were no coffee packets for the in room coffee maker & went to office to get some, but were told the room the supplies were housed in was locked & the desk attendant didn't have a key. We found a pair of ladies underwear hanging over the shower rod in the bathroom. Later that evening when we were turning in for the evening, we were unable to utilize the door lock as the pin for the bolt was missing.
Two days when our room was cleaned, housekeeping didn't leave a bath mat when they replenished towels. Another day, housekeeping didn't clean our room at all.
Lastly, we had ongoing toilet issues & had to work on that ourselves as the flushing wasn't working."

Room Tip: Some rooms have you sitting on the parking lot. They don't have enough parking for their guests...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
James B, Front Office Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay at our hotel. At The Hotel California we strive to make every stay a beach-like, comfortable, and relaxing experience. Our goal is to provide great service for leisure guests, as well as our business guests like yourself. I am very sorry to hear of your claims regarding our housekeeping and engineering, and all of the issues that you reported. We have been looking into these claims and have not been able to confirm the details of your review. I would love the chance to speak with you personally regarding the issues listed in this review. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time so that we can discuss your stay. My email address is james@hotelca.com. I hope to hear from you soon.

Been to The Hotel California? Share your experiences!