“"wake you up in the middle of the night, just to hear them say...."” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel California

Special Offer
Book Direct and Save 10%
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Monterey
“"wake you up in the middle of the night, just to hear them say...."”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

and with that I learned all about the amount and size of the polyps found during a colonoscopy on the guest in the next room as he sat outside at 11pm. The Hotel California is quaint, has character and is very cute. HOWEVER! it has 6 parking spaces and they charge you 36 dollars a night to park! good luck finding any parking close by! beware! ALSO the Hotel has tables outside the rooms but somehow has forgotten that those tables encourage guests to sit outside at all hours and babble while you're trying to sleep! the walls are paper thin and you hear the next rooms loud footsteps on the hard wood floors, toilet flush, television etc. again it is a gorgeous little hotel with good location and the staff was friendly but not out going or happy to see anyone, they are just.."there" I think you know what I mean, kinda like standing in line at the DMV in the old day.s ..NEXT! This hotel had plenty of charm but is NOT sleep friendly....NO WAY JOSE! if you dont mind paying 36 bucks for non existent parking and listening to the moron next door at midnight this is the place for you!..oh the place is clean.

Room Tip: if you stay here try one of the side rooms maybe they are quieter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
fair oaks ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

fun, funky and clean- easy walking to beach, restaurants, coffee, pier and fun little streets like Main- nice patio tables to sit out and have coffee or a beer-parking on site or next door at loew's ($36)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

We really appreciate this great review from you guys. You absolutely utilized the location and value of our hotel in the best possible way. We really hope you come back to enjoy The Hotel California again soon!

Best,

Front desk/Supervisor of Guest Services
Ft lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Not worth the money...step back in time and you can imagine the decor, the broken green tiles in the shower, the old stained wood furniture, no AC, limited parking, musty smelling rooms, street noise, un-engaged front desk attendant. You can do better with your $250 a night, trust me. The beach is not close, behind a bunch of old buildings.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Angaston, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Terrible. Location was great, and that's where it ended.
Looked at the rooms online before booking, arrived(about 7 pm at night), and went to our room and could not believe how small the room was. It was a dog box. It also smelt of urine (room above office upstairs). I was so disappointed that I my heart sank to my stomach as soon as we opened the front door. My husband went downstairs and advised we would not be staying, as at $300 a night, it was nowhere near worth the money. The man at front reception was rude and argumentative, and in the end, he advised he would not charge us if we have him $20. Best $20 we have ever spent.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Please Note that this guest "claimed" they stayed 1 year ago and just now have written a review on their stay. As you can see recent reviews do not reflect the picture this review paints of the Hotel California. I can assure any future guests with full confidence that this is not how operations are run at our establishment and we are investigating this review to be taken down immediately for its false information.

Front Desk/ Supervisor of Guest Services
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here one night. After retrieving our lost luggage at airport we called around 1:00 to see if we could check in early which the hotel allowed us to check in only an hour early so we beached it until we that time. We received a warm welcome at check in. The front desk suggested a nice restaurant for us to try out. We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds (2 adults and teenager) that faced the main road. I wished the rooms were a bit bigger. The bathroom did have some newer upgrades which was nice. The only thing that I found uncomfortable was there was no air conditioning so the room was stuffy early evening however cooled down as night set in and ended up comfortable for sleeping. Great location a block from pier action and beautiful beach.

• Stayed August 2013
Oak Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Hotel California for my birthday where my girlfriend and I were treated with such respect and care that we actually decided to stay another night. It was right next to the Santa Monica pier and seconds from the beach. The rooms were refreshing and clean, and it was really nice to have your own kitchen as well with pots, pans, and utensils. The guy at the front desk, Mike i believe his name was, helped us find great restaurants and bars to go to for the nights. Overall it was a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Bryan,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We loved having you guys stay with us for your birthday and it's so good to hear you had an awesome time! Please come back and stay again next time you are down by the beach.

Cheers,

Front Desk/Supervisor of Guest Services
Whitestone, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We just cam back from a 2 week trip through California, and the stay at this charming and delightful hotel was the highlight. The location is crazy great, the staff is super friendly and helpful, and the rooms are full of character. When I first found out the hotel had no A/C ( after I already booked it), a shudder of fear crept over me. I hate the heat and I could just picture what my wife and two teenagers would say. When I read the responses from the hotel that mentioned that the ocean breeze was enough, my initial though was , "yeah, right". Well, they were right. In the middle of August , we needed covers every night. Yes, there is some noise from the lively street scene in front of the hotel. So, what? We liked to hear that we were in a cool place. Maybe our NYC home makes us less delicate than most. At the end of the day, we loved our junior suite. Clean and comfy, with excellent maid service. This place is right on the beach and a block from the Santa Monica pier. It's funny, I actually felt bad for the guests I saw go into the giant Loews hotel next door, while I enjoyed the casual warmth and charm of our hotel. I'd recommend this place to anyone. If you want every luxury imaginable, look elsewhere. If you want to feel like you are in a nice SoCa hotel, right next to the beach, with a kind staff and a place that has heart, try here. I can't imagine anyone that booked this place through the website could ever complain. They must do it just to be contrary.

Room Tip: If you are going with family, try for the junior suites
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Hotel California? Share your experiences!