“Gorgeous decor with helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Seattle, WA
“Gorgeous decor with helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I stayed for two days at this hotel while attending a friend's wedding in Santa Monica.

All the positives:
* most beautifully decorated hotel I've been in for a while. (Sure, some larger hotels go for obviously luxe decor, like chandeliers, but these don't have the perfect layout of the rooms with their astoundingly comfortable beds, delightful chaises, and handy his-and-hers desks. Plus, the tiled floors and other elegant touches make this is lovely place.)
* layout. The firepits, koi waterfalls, and ease of finding everything you need? Marvelous.
* friendly staff. From the moment we pulled up to valet, someone was available to give us a hand. Immediately and with as much helpfulness as possible.
* handy location. If you need to be in Santa Monica, this is the place! You're walking distance to the beach and the pier . . . or go the other direction to the 3rd Street Promenade.

The neutrals:
* all the stuff I didn't get a chance to try! I can't rate the restaurant, the bar, the fitness facilities, nor the staff's willingness to help me with things like (for example) getting my clothes pressed. This doesn't reflect on the hotel, but rather on the fact that I was only there for a short period.
* location. The "ocean-view" rooms barely give you a sliver of the ocean in the view, but that's all the ever claimed anyway.

The negatives:
* gorgeous as it is, I can't afford this sort of place on a regular basis. Having been spoiled by the Fairmont Miramar, I shall doubtless be disappointed by other hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

1,257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I love this place. It is my new favorite hotel. We were there for a getaway weekend for my husband's birthday. We were refugees from the Georgian where we had a bad experience involving no working internet and yuck sheets on the bed in our expensive suite. When we told the desk clerk on check in about our escape from another hotel in the area and why, he gave us free internet and put us in a suite so we had room to move around. And we had so much fun at the Miramar. It's such a beautiful hotel, and so peaceful, and so inviting ... I would go back as often as possible if money and time were no issue. There are loads of great restaurants nearby, the mall is there, you can walk along Ocean Ave and go down to the beach, if you have kids you can go to the pier, there are beautiful facilities to enjoy on the property, the pool is great ... I could go on and on. Loved the Miramar.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

Great hotel close to Santa Monica Beach and some excellent shopping opportunities in the area.
Easy to get to and the experience was that our stay was a success ...

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

This was our second time at this Fairmont. It's in a great location - walking distance to the pier, beach, Promenade, and restaurants. We had booked a room in the older section and were offered an upgrade to the new tower which we declined. The newer section rooms are smaller with small bathrooms, but many have better views than the older section. The basic room includes French louvered style bathroom doors that open directly in front of the toilet. This didn't bother our friends, but I was uncomfortable with this set-up. The older section offers much larger rooms - comparable or bigger than those at Shutters. Unfortunately, many of these rooms face heavy equipment that provide constant background hum. We had to move rooms several times. The management, staff, and housekeeping provided such excellent service that I thought I might be in a Four Seasons. There was no hassle about trying to accommodate us and they moved all of our stuff. When booking I mentioned it was our anniversary and the hotel provided complimentary treats in our room. As members of their free frequent stay program we received free internet and daily newspaper. Depending on the price, I'd consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I am a business man and I am a frequenter of the Santa Monica area, and Fairmont hotels nationwide. I prefer to stay out on the west side because in my opinion its much nicer than inland la. That being said
for the holidays I decided to take a vacation with my family to visit friends of ours in the Santa Monica area. Knowing that the Fairmont hotels are usually pretty nice compared to the hotels around them I decided to splurge a bit and stay at the Miramar with my whole family in tow. After the long flight into LAX and the holiday crowds I can only say what followed was a lackluster experience. On arriving at the hotel tired from driving through all the traffic, we were greeted by the doormen and who I assume was their supervisor, this is where things took a turn for the worst. As the supervisor was unloading, he carelessly dropped one of my kids bags on the ground and crushed my son's DS (this I did not find out until later but I was not going to cause an issue over it). After he dropped the bag he looked at me and had a look that made me feel as if me and my family were a burden on him to be there, me and my wife felt very unwelcome, and every time we seen him from then on as we came and went over the week, he kept giving me this look like he was mad dogging me. This was a poor impression of the hotel and it will seriously affect my decision to ever stay here again. The check in process was really smooth and the bell men were really prompt in bringing up our luggage to us. The service in the hotel had its pros and cons. Everything seemed to be really prompt and speedy when I needed something or ordered food, but on the flip-side some of the employees accents were a little hard to understand and that caused some mild frustration. I would not really say that its much of a "kid/family" friendly hotel either, it seems like a place where couples would enjoy it the most. they have a health spa, nice bar and lounge and a really nice restaurant. During our stay I did get a chance to try eating at the Fig (restaurant) inside, it was kind of pricey, but well worth it, I really enjoyed the Lobster Thermidor that I had, was a completely mouth watering experience.

Like everything in life this place has its ups and downs, the property is really nice and seems to try really hard to appear to be prestigious, and most the employees seems to try hard at this, but there are always bad apples that seem to spoil the whole bunch. Was an expensive lesson and a memory that will stay with me for awhile.

But from now on this apple goes to the Loews.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Excellent staff, will do everything possible to make your stay memorable and to encourage your return. From the moment of your arrival, the valet's welcome you every time, and remember your name, same with the front desk staff, who always ensure you have everything you need, immediately, Even the maid staff will overwhelm you with their concern that your room is fully stocked. Try the bungalow's first for a unique santa monica experience, and you will soon forget you are in a hotel. The new Fig restaurant is fabulous, and the outdoor dining, weather permitting is an excellent choice for your business meetings, that can easily be moved indoors if it gets too cold. In all, we have enjoyed the Fairmont Miramar beyond all other hotel experiences in the area, and will continue to stay exclusively there from now on, (sorry to those other more unreasonably priced beverly hills hotels where we used to stay, you know who you are)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

The service and staff at this hotel is exceptional. The rooms are always clean and well appointed. It is great to be able to swim in the pool and relax in the hot tub.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!