“Nice for a business trip” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Santa Barbara
“Nice for a business trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2005

I attended a conference here in March 2005. The conference facilities were some of the nicest I've been to. They were tucked back from the rest of the hotel just enough that they were out of the way, without being isolated in a dismal cavernous wing, as with so many other hotels.
My room was absolutely tiny, but gorgeously decorated with fine linens on the bed. I'm just glad I didn't have to squeeze my husband in. The plantation doors to the bathroom were weird, as another rater pointed out, but they went so nicely with the overall theme of the room that I forgave the designer. Room service was a rip-off, as was the $26 dollar a day parking fee and the high-speed internet fee (free at most hotels).
The location is nice, at the far end of the 3rd street shops and restaurants, but definitely NOT right on the beach.
I really enjoyed this as a sophisticated well-run business hotel, but for a leisure trip I'd choose another spot with a little more charm.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for one night for business and had an amazing stay. The conference facilities are great for meetings with out of town clients, and everyone from my meeting then stayed overnight in one of the hotel's suites. The suites are large and spacious, with a fabulous bathroom and comfy living room. The bed itself is a king size with very good sheets.

We also had an excellent dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Everything at the dinner was outstanding, I enjoyed the rack of lamb and the tiramisu. For breakfast the next day I enjoyed eggs benedict. At each meal, the waiters brought us a complimentary something extra: a caviar appetizer with dinner, and a giant fresh fruit plate with breakfast.

The facilities at the hotel are nice as well, there is a fitness room and wonderful spa and steam room. The pool looked nice, but closed so early that no one from my group was able to use it.

The only dissapointment came with a massage that I booked in the hotel spa. Although the prices were reasonable, the massage itself was quite bad, and the masseuse was fresh from France and did not yet speak enough English to comply with any requests.

Overall, I really enjoyed this hotel, great for business, probably a little more stuffy than what I would choose for a family vacation though.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2005

My sister, daughter and I stayed at the Miramar for the first week of March. The location of this hotel can't be beat. Right across from the beach and within walking distance to Third Street Promenade and the pier. We stayed in the tower, 2nd floor, with the room overlooking the pool and a view of the ocean. The beds were wonderful as were the duvets and pillows. The only complaint I would have with the room was the door to the bathroom. It is a shutter type door and was very difficult to close so there was no way a person could be quiet if having to using the bathroom at night. With that type of door as well, it wasnt very sound proof so you could hear everything and I mean EVERYTHING that was done in there. I really think they should replace those doors!

The restaurant was very expensive. We had two cups of coffee and one cheesecake and the total bill was $21 - the cheesecake was nothing to rave about either. Needless to say we ate off site most of the time. The pool and hot tub were excellent though.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly, especially the concierge and front desk. Also, there really isnt a small store anywhere near the hotel to purchase snacks and the gift shop (if you can call it that) had nothing for selection. No way was I paying the prices in the room for their snacks!

I would truly recommend this hotel if you are looking for luxury and location but unless you enjoy overpaying for average meals, I would dine elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2005
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2005

We went to Santa Monica for a wedding and combined the trip with a weeklong vacation with the kids. We couldn't have had a better time or picked a better place to stay. The location is unbelievable, right across the street from the beach and a block from the 3rd St Promenade. Our room was HUGE and beautiful. The pool is gorgeous and the service was excellent. My only complaint is that I loved it so much I didn't want to leave!

Los Altos Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2005

We just came back from a spontaneous getaway to Santa Monica to escape the cold :). This hotel was very nice w/standard Fairmont service and amenities. Our room in the tower was a bit on the small side, but the view was great. Ask for an even number room facing North so you'll be able to see the gorgeous sunset. Best thing about this hotel is the location -- it's a 2 min walk to the beach or the 3rd street promenade. We walked past many of the other hotels on the beach and thought the Fairmont had the best location.

Santa Fe, N.M.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2004

I stayed at the Fairmont on a weekday night, and, having joined the Fairmont's President Club on-line, I was upgraded to a 9th floor room in the new tower with a fabulous full ocean view. Everything was perfect, from the valet service to the prompt, pleasant front desk staff, to a lovely breakfast at the in-house restaurant. The room furnishings are luxurious, with a beautiful marble-tiled bathroom. The bed was fantastic, with huge, fluffy pillows. By Santa Monica standards, this hotel is really not so pricey, and you get beautfiul surroundings for your money. Only complaint was the in-house exercise room, which was so-so. It has fairly out-dated equipment, and is pretty cramped. I didn't have a chance to try the pool, but the patio/pool setting is certainly very attractive. Considering that the Fairmont is in the heart of Santa Monica, it retains a nice atmosphere inside the grounds of an oasis. The hotel's location, right between the beach and 3rd St. Promenade, is perfect for walking to either. Will most definitely stay here again. I highly recommend the Fairmont Miramar.

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!