“Loved it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
vancouver
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Our room had a balcony over looking the Bungalow night club and the beach,pier and ocean. What a view! We spent alot of time on the balcony enjoying Santa Monica's sunshine and ocean breezes. I loved the vibe of this town. We ate at the in house restaurant Fig twice...excellent but pricey. Whole Foods is a short walk away for cheaper supplies. The gym was excellent as well and had an outdoor workout area. The pool, like most hotel pools, was a disappointment. Fairmont is renowned for its service and the Miramar fully upheld this standard. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First the good:

-Desk staff excellent on check in.
-Room small but very clean and nice view. Slept very well.

Next the bad:

-Deluxe internet at $15.99 is anything but deluxe. How come I get free internet at the Four Seasons or Peninsula down the road and it's better?

Now the worst:

-Valet parking is hapless. When I arrived 10 pm on a Sunday night I had watch a keystone cops ballet for 10 minutes before I could pull my car in.

-In morning when it was time to leave I texted the valet stand (as instructed on my ticket) with my valet number from the night before. I got the following response (exact): "Unfortunately, we had difficulties finding ticket #011472. Please verify your ticket number and try again or visit the valet manager." I reentered the ticket number and got the same response. I went to front desk and they called for my car (more delays). I went to the valet stand and handed the attendant the ticket and asked about my car. All she said was "That ticket number isn't in the system....." She was super bureaucratic about it. No smile, just that vacant stare of someone who doesn't care. Is a really bad way to send a guest off from your property.

atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I spent a weekend at the Fairmont Santa Monica and loved the time, from being able to walk across the street to walk along the beach in the mornings and at sunset, to relaxing by the pool, to enjoying their incredible Spa (highly recommend), good breakfasts and great location if you want to be able to walk around Santa Monica exploring the Prominade shops.

Everything at the Fairmont was great except the dinner music at Figo - a bit too loud for our taste.
Otherwise we highly recommend you try and it and we didn't get to try them but see their pool side bungalows!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view or one of the bungalows by the pool.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Fairmont in Santa Monica is a great place to stay. Fantastic location with a staff that is completely dedicated to your safety and comfort. Great Gym, pool, spa and ground keeping.
I would have given them a 5 rating, but the room was small and the deluxe ocean view room was too low (on the third floor) and the beautiful trees blocked our view to the water.

Room Tip: GEt a room further away from the hopping outdoor bar, "The Bungalo" if you want quiet.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear John N –

Thank you so much for posting a review! I especially love the part about our staff being dedicated to guests’ safety and comfort. That is the essence of what we do, so thank you for mentioning that! While the rooms in the Ocean Tower may feel smaller than others, we hope that is off-set by the private balconies and views of the coast! For future reservation reference, our Deluxe Ocean View rooms are located on the lower floors, and our Premier Ocean View rooms are located on the top floors of the building. Please reach out to me directly before your next stay so I can show you one of our Premier views!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

President's club membership allowed for a super-speedy checkin...they literally met me at my car door with the room key. Rooms are not immense and unlike other fairmont stays, this room did not have a Nespresso machine and only powdered creamer and a weak Keurig coffee -- the Nespresso and real creamers is a perk I look forward to. But view was amazing from the balconied room (the Pier).

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear “A TripAdvisor Member” –

Thank you for posting your five-star review and highlighting our Platinum Fairmont President’s Club arrival experience! Our team aims to over-deliver, and it sounds like we did just that. We are in the process of transitioning from Nespresso machines in our guest rooms to Keurigs which we find offers a wider array of beverage options for our guests. However, we are keeping a few of our Nespresso machines on-hand for guests who prefer them – so don’t worry, for your next stay we will have one ready for you!

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Winning this prize was beyond belief. Thank you to all the staff at the hotel for making our stay amazing! you guys went far past expectations. Shout out to Jackie for being amazing with setting everything up and letting us use the drone on the roof. Couldn't have picked a better place to visit and I will definitely return some day! Miss it already!
Tyler & Matt

Dear tmcave –

Thank you so much for the five stars Tyler and Matt!! I know Jackie was just as excited to welcome you to our property as you were to visit, and she is thrilled with the shout-out! I’m so glad we were able to exceed your expectations, and congratulations again on your win!!

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was tempted to stay at Shutters or Casa Del Mar but they were like $500 a night so I looked for something cheaper. This was $350 and once I got there I wished I had spent the extra money and stayed somewhere better.

Problems started at Reception. My husband and I had just landed after 17 hours of traveling from Thailand. When we arrived at the hotel at around 12:30 we asked the valet guy if he thought we'd be able to check in early as we were exhausted. He assured us we would, said it shouldn't be a problem at this time of day, and someone whisked our car far away as we headed to reception to check in.

We were greeted by a girl at reception who said we would not be able to check in at this time. I told her how tired we were and that we'd pay for a better room if it meant we could check in now. With a complete lack of sympathy for our situation she said no. Didn't even seem interested in getting more money from us - we would have paid for a suite or something even more expensive we were so desperate. We asked when our room would be ready and she said there's no telling, could be 10 mins, could be 2 hours. So unbelievably unhelpful. I asked if there was a salon in the hotel so I could get my hair done while I waited. She just said 'no'. We walked back outside and waited 15 minutes for our car to be brought back.

Good service would have looked like this: 'I apologize for the wait but we are unable to allow you to check in now. Would you like a table at our restaurant? Or perhaps I can arrange an appointment for you at our spa while you wait? I can recommend a walk on the beach across the street as well. Oh you'd like to get your hair done? I'm sorry we don't have a salon but I can recommend the following places nearby and our concierge can call and make an appointment if you like'.

The hotel room itself was bad. It was small, the view of the beach was obscured by some kind of low wall and worst of all the bathtub shower were small and old. Tiny shallow bathtub too.

I do not recommend this hotel at all. Needs a masterclass in service and a facelift for the rooms

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear dgelbard –

I’m so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience, since by reading other reviews posted lately that is clearly not the level of service we provide here at The Miramar. I will personally address your comments with our Front Desk team as you are 100% correct about how the interaction upon check-in should have been handled. We can never guarantee early arrivals, but we can certainly let our guests down gently and take care of them while they wait.

I would welcome the opportunity for a “do-over” during your next visit to Santa Monica as there is no reason we cannot become your new home away from home. Please reach out to me directly (carly.skinner@fairmont.com) when planning your next trip.

Director of Rooms

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!