“Friendly, well-situated high end hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Toronto
“Friendly, well-situated high end hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Fairmont Miramar almost yearly for the the last few years. We travel frequently with our 3 young boys (ages 3, 6 and 8) and this hotel's ability to accommodate kids in a friendly, gracious manner is largely unparalleled. The staff are friendly and professional but give you enough space. Items requested are brought to your room in advance of your stay, or all together, so that you do not have an endless procession of staff knocking on your door when you arrive. The concierge is also good and booked a well-priced rental car for us and nice transportation from the airport without any rigamarole.
We have stayed both in the main hotel and the bungalows and like both. The bungalow option offers a smaller room but a better location so I much prefer it. The rooms are decorated classically but are very nice and clean. The Fig restaurant has a delicious (though a little pricey) breakfast. There is also a Starbucks a short walk away for a cheaper breakfast alternative. The pool is beautiful and is a big hit with the kids and it also offers a good poolside menu.
In terms of location, the hotel is close enough to LAX (about a 15 minute drive) and is a short walk to shopping on the 3rd street promenade and to the Santa Monica Pier and beach. I like to run in the morning and having the board walk so close is a definite plus.
There are few drawbacks to the hotel though the parking is pricey (though it is similar to other city hotels). If not a President's Club member you have to pay for wifi but membership is free so why not. We have yet to find good family restaurant for dinner though we may not be looking in the right place. Finally, this time when I called I was quoted a price $200 more expensive/ night than when my husband called so I would suggest multiple attempts to book a room if you do not like the price you get the first round through (especially with 3 or more kids as you get charged what appears to be an arbitrary premium at most hotels). It is an expensive hotel so a little leg work may make a big difference in your bill.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a classy hotel with a great location right across from the beach. It's within walking distance to the Promenade and the pier. It's an older hotel with great character, and they do a very good job of pampering their guests. It's one of the few hotels in the area with larger suites. Valet parking is about $35/night, but you can park on the street if you don't mind driving around for a spot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Gary K –

Thank you so much for your review! I’m so glad we were able to properly pamper you enough and are now your hotel of choice! I’ve also heard our valet parking rates are a steal compared to parking at the beach…so its probably better to leave your car here and have our house BMW or Mercedes bring you to your destination and back!

Please let me know when you plan on returning so you can check out one of our newly renovated suites!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Fairmont is great hotel at great location in Santa Monica. Room is fine, bed is amazing, view is nice, staff is friendly.

Fairmont has a bar on property called Bungalow. It is the hottest place in Santa Monica right now. As you would expect as a guest of the hotel you should have access to this bar when you are paying Fairmont customer. You do not.

We did manage to get in there eventually (as we booked a table just to get in and meet local friends who were already there). The hotel says the reason they cannot do anything is that the bar is not part of hotel. That can all be true but the manager of this Fairmont can sure negotiate with owner of bar that clients of his hotel who can hear the NOISE of the bar in their room until 1.30am should have right to come in.

Ironically when you go to Bungalow and you pay by credit card it is charged as FAIRMONT HOTEL SANTA MONICA. So the payment system is the same, it is on the premise of the hotel, I can hear the music in my room but you do not have access for guests? Does not make sense at all...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NicVB –

I’m so sorry you had difficulties accessing Bungalow, but thank you for the four stars nevertheless!

Bungalow is in its essence a neighborhood bar, and we need to control the crowds just as any popular spot does. Many times that means even our guests will need to wait to enter, though we do our very best to ensure they are granted preferred access. Bungalow is on our property and therefore most certainly part of the hotel – regardless of any third party involved. The satisfaction of our guests is our number one priority, and I apologize it did not come across that way to you.

For your future stays, please reach out to me directly and I will ensure things go much more smoothly!

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

A great choice if staying in Santa Monica. It's conveniently located and service and quality are top-notch.

We stayed on the 10th floor in an ocean view room and had a fabulous view of of the beach, ocean, and Malibu. We enjoyed breakfast at the property each morning and had an excellent dinner at Fig our last night there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cav007 –

Thank you for the short and sweet review! The scenic views from the top floor rooms of our Ocean Tower make me stop and stare every time I’m up there. Its quite distracting for me at work, but for our guests I cannot think of anything better!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were hoping for a romantic weekend at the beach however we were somewhat disappointed with the Fairmont. When we arrived, there was a wedding in the hotel that night and everything had been arranged for the wedding, we definitely did not feel welcome as hotel guests. Then our room was the wrong room type and they did not have any availability in the room type we requested. The receptionists did not seem on top of things at all. The room was also somewhat old and the bathroom shutter doors do not give ANY privacy. Considering the $400/night price, I would be willing to either pay more and stay at the Shutters or pay less and stay in one of the various options in Santa Monica.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EPTraveller99 –

I’m so sorry you had such a disappointing experience with us. I tried to find your reservation but was unsuccessful…I hope you will reach out to me directly so I can get to the bottom of what happened and find a way to make it up to you!

Especially in the spring and summer, many couples choose to get married under our gorgeous fig tree in the front drive. We always try to not disrupt our hotel guests with wedding arrangements to keep them from feeling displaced – I’m terribly sorry we failed to do that with you. If you find yourself in need of another romantic getaway, please let me know so I may handle all your arrangements personally.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Enjoyable trip to Santa Monica. Suite on the top floor had fantastic views of Malibu and opposite of the Pier. The Fig Tree in the front entrance is amazing, I think they said it was the second largest tree (in the US?) of its species. The rooms are clean, spacious and bright. The rear pool and koi pond are pretty and pleasant. The restaurant is also of good choice and service and child friendly. The Spa is lovely and relaxing. It's is central to the shops and restaurants in the area. Concierge will arrange restaurant and sightseeing, Malibu Beach, Venice Beach - recommend during the day, the Pier and you can even charter a boat to Santa Maria.

Room Tip: Top floor suites have great views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear JulesbPreston –

Thank you for your glowing review!!! It sounds like you took full advantage of all the services and amenities we (and Santa Monica!) offer and I’m so glad the result was such a wonderful trip.

I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles!

Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed here a total of six nights on two different trips. The first was in a 1 bedroom suite #510 in the north building. I also stayed in #222 and #540 in the main building (the building closest to Ocean drive). The suite was large, clean and very comfortable. This building is quieter and away from the nightclub. The only downside is that if your room faces north you will be looking at the front of the Huntley Hotel and may hear some of the associated noise. Room #222 was the first room off the elevator and directly above the restaurant. Also, the service elevator door is directly across this room. So if possible, avoid any room with 22 at the end. On the other hand, room #540 was excellent because it was bigger quieter and had an amazing view -- it was at the end of the hall and faced the ocean and beach directly. There is another room across the hall rom #540 that faces the ocean, but it is one the side of the nightclub so I can't say if it is as good. All other rooms in this building face the beach at an angle.

The staff was excellent, however, the front desk was not well staffed -- there was a line two and sometimes 3 or 4 deep during late mornings early afternoons.

This hotel is vibrant with activity. The pool is small relative to the size of the hotel. You will not get a lounge chair unless you get out of bed early.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear AKNose –

I love that you were able to experience such a nice variety of room categories! 510 is one of the suites we recently re-did and is actually one of my favorites! And its hard to go wrong with any of the rooms in the Ocean Tower since each offers such stunning views of the coast to both the North and South.

I’m sorry if you found yourself waiting unnecessarily at the Front Desk…but you’ll be pleased to know we recently hired a few new team members to ensure appropriate staffing levels at all times!!!

I hope to see you back here on your next trip to LA and have you try out a few more rooms types!

Director of Rooms

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!