“Feeling like a star!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

You added Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows to your Saves list
Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90401 (Santa Monica)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Feeling like a star!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Miramar is a beautiful hotel, with a lovely intimate pool ( make sure you are star watching there) the breakfasts were amazing, we had ours included and I highly recommend it. From the Miramar you can easily walk to the pier and lots of restaurants and shopping. Make sure you check out the open air mall at 3rd Street Prominade....stroll the pier and beach. The Miramar has a lovely car service to take guests to and from the beach area...you just have to sign up early to get a spot in their limited beach area( chairs, umbrella, towels and water) are provided at the beach. We also had a car so we drove into LA to see the sights like Warner Bros. Studio, Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, the Hollywood sign and more. The Miramar has lovely rooms, ours overlooked the pool and had a balcony which I loved. I will definitely be back, we had an amazing time in the California sun!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear 541LynnS541 –

Our pool definitely has a bit of a Hollywood feel to it, and I’m so pleased you had a great time star-gazing! In addition to our pool services, we try to give our guests as much of the Santa Monica beach experience as possible, so I’m glad you had the chance to enjoy our Beach Club as well! Most LA visitors rent a car so the rest of the city is accessible to them, but we do our best to make sure our guests have everything they need right here.

Looking forward to having you back!

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

From the moment that the attendant in the parking lot welcomed us to the Fairmont to the thank you note and chocolates we received from the Concierge, Sheri, my stay at the Fairmont couldn't have been more enjoyable. This was our 2nd visit and we were warmly greeted by Sally at the front desk and server Jordan took good care of us in the lobby lounge.

Great staff, location and rooms. We can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Utilize the concierge services - they know the area well and can be of great help.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Debbie B –

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review! We are extremely proud of our team, and Sheri, Sally, and Jordan most definitely deserve to be recognized. They can’t wait for you to visit again either!!

Windsor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We've been going to the Miramar for 7 years now, every May. It has always been a wonderful oasis, with top notch service, staff and accommodations. However on our last trip and then again on this trip even more so, we've noticed a trend towards big elaborate events on the property, closing off the main entrance, the erection of additional temporary buildings which house large amounts of people, with parties and bands; music playing loudly. The pool seating has expanded on to the area around the bungalows with large crowds in lounge chairs all over.
I'm sure that the revenue from all of this is amazing, however it detracts from what the hotel used to be, which was a wonderful, quiet, pampering, attentive property where customer service was the most important value, not just money! We've stayed primarily in the bungalows except for last year and this year. The older palisades building is a flash back to an era reminiscent days-gone-by, but the suites are very large and comfortable so not having a terrace or a balcony isn't exactly a hardship. This year we opted to book in the tower building, with a balcony however when we arrived, the room we had (after years of patronage at this hotel) was no bigger than a broom closet. We had 5 pieces of luggage in a room that couldn't accommodate more than 1 large piece of luggage and no balcony. I went to the front desk to plead my case, long term repeat customer etc, please could we have another room, to no avail. The property was sold out for a large wedding. Ok, understood, could we please be a priority for a room tomorrow, with a balcony (and a closet that could house at least some of our luggage), they found a room for an additional 100.00/night!, we took it, albeit grudgingly. The duty manager, absolutely the worst customer service, horrible and rude (this was Saturday afternoon May 19th, 2013 and I didn't get his name) I immediately went back to my room even though I'd secured a room for the next day, to see if we could check out. No luck, every hotel that night was booked, even the Ritz in Marina Del Ray! .. that's how bad I wanted to leave. Because of that moment, and that horrible Manager, we decided that we would wait and see how the room exchange would be, but we avowed that we would never stay at the Miramar again. They have most definitely decided to forgo value, and long term customer patronage for the quick buck! The staff, who we have gotten to know over the years, were appalled by how we were treated. We love the service staff, Lupe, and Jordan are excellent, and were great as always, as was Mark in the lobby lounge for breakfast. Still a beautiful property, but on a downward spiral from our perspective, given the price point, they should really be ashamed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TheSteves –

I hope you don’t mind, but I did a little research and found your reservation in our system. You were here during one of the busiest weekends of the year, where our Front Drive was indeed closed for a private wedding ceremony. It’s wedding season, and many couples jump at the chance to get married under our beautiful landmark fig tree! The bride & groom along with their friends & family were all staying with us, however, their celebration should certainly not have interfered with your relaxing getaway. Moving forward, we will do a better job to make sure our other guests do not feel displaced.

I see you had originally booked a Fairmont King room – unfortunately not all of the rooms in that category have a balcony, so I apologize if you were expecting one. I am pleased we were able to accommodate an upgrade to a Deluxe King with ocean view – I wish I could offer all our guests complimentary upgrades, but especially on sold-out weekends this is not the case. Regarding the manager you spoke with, I can assure you he meant no harm and in no way meant to insult you. He is one of our long-standing and trusted team members, and he is profoundly sorry for the impression he left.

Since you have been so loyal to us in the past, I hope you will reach out to me directly so we can work this out. Lupe, Jordan, Mark and I would love to welcome you back next May!! (By the way, I have noted your preference for a balcony in your guest profile and will personally ensure you receive one from here on out). Thank you very much for your feedback.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

i recently left the SLS hotel to check into a santa monica hotel, i don't regret my decision. This hotel is very close to the beach and the SM amenties not to mention the third street promende. the rooms are very very tiny, i could barely fit our luggage in a corner...theres too many furniture, good thing we weren't in our room very often. the location is amazing its very close to the beach and the shopping. we ultizie the pool and like the previous reviewer said, i had to run to the lobby in swimming aitire to wave down a server to come take our orders. but the food was AMAZING, we all had different orders from the menu and it was sooooo delicious, i would come back just for the food! lol

a room tip: our room was right next to the elevator i'm a light light sleeper so i woke up everytime the was someone in the hall, i didn't want to hassle the front desk for a room change so if your a light sleeper like me dont get a room close to the elevator.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gkeris –

I don’t blame you for leaving Hollywood for the beach…there’s something in the air down here that just makes everything better! I apologize for the lapse in service poolside…as I’ve stated previously on Trip Advisor, we recently formed a partnership with a team that is re-vamping our pool experience. I hope you are able to come back when that is up and running to see firsthand the new direction we are taking the pool in!

Regarding the room size, we have many different categories ranging from the room you stayed in to a private 1000 square foot bi-level Bungalow Suite! I hope for your next stay you will reach out to me directly so I can assist in arranging the perfect accommodations for you.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Let me just start by saying I am a Fairmont President's Club member. Our first night's stay was nice. Upgraded to a Palisade Suite that was renovated. And the next three nights were a nightmare. We were told we had to move to another Palisade Suite - and embarrassed to even say we paid $725 per night for that room. It was worse (and I mean worse than Motel 6). It was shocking to walk into this room. Albeit big - it was sparesly furnished with 80's furniture. - absolutely no character and downright ugly! The rug was so gross that I wouldn't walk barefoot around the room. And for $725 we got a 3rd floor suite overlooking the 'street' behind the hotel -not even an ocean view. Each morning we woken up to the beeping noises of the 'garage trucks' picking up the hotel waste every morning. The water pressure was very 'weak' - this is a VERY old wing of the hotel. I have stayed in THE nicest hotels around the world and have NEVER experienced this sort of room quality for that kind of price! When asked if we can switch rooms - we were 'kurtly' told that we'd have to switch rooms "each of the next three nights" because the rooms were booked ... well we too had "booked the room in advance which didn't seem to matter). If you are to stay in the Palisade Suite, MAKE SURE you book the renovated suite - of which there are only FOUR!

I've stayed there the last three years in a row - so overall the lobby is nice, etc - the pool this year was a BIG disappointment. The pool was 'slick with sunscreen' and dirty ... I asked if they could clean it and that didn't happen. There was no "pool service" until the end of the day (and yes it was mid-70's so it was pool weather). I had to ask three times to get a server come by the pool.

By advice - save your money and go to a REAL luxury hotel in the area of which there are many to choose and certainly won't be paying $725 for a ugly/dated suite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear MagnoliaTraveler –

While it was very difficult to read your review, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to write it and provide your feedback.

I am pleased you were able to experience one of our newly renovated suites (if only for a short while)…this is the direction in which we are taking the rest of the property, and it is most definitely a necessary and exciting one! Our Palisades building is a Santa Monica historical landmark – so yes, it has been around for a while. That being said, we don’t want it to feel that way to our guests – hence the updates to ensure Motel 6 is the last comparison that comes to mind.

Since our pool is one of the most noted highlights of the property, we have recently partnered with a group well-versed in creating an ideal poolside ambiance for luxury properties. I apologize for your experience, and I trust our collaboration with them will prevent future reviews like yours.

The piece of your review which is most upsetting is how you were treated by our team. As an FPC member, you clearly know and understand the high standards of service customary to Fairmont, and you have my deepest apologies we failed to live up to them. I am addressing this internally, and encourage you to reach out to me directly so we can discuss further and figure out a way to make it up to you. My email address is carly.skinner@fairmont.com, or you can simply call the hotel main line and ask for me. I would love the opportunity to welcome you back and show you what we are capable of.

Kind Regards,

Doha, Qa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Recommended close by LA beach if you are there for the ocean. Closed to the 3rd street, which is the main shopping area in santa Monica. Everything you might need in a walking distance. Yet, having a car is essential in all over LA

• Stayed May 2013
Dear ammn11 –

Thank you so much for your review! We love being in our own little corner of LA where you can leave your car with the valet and easily bike or stroll anywhere you need to be.

Hope to see you next time you are in town!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I usually stay at the Ritz Carlton Marina del Rey, which I love, but this place may have been even better. The hotel is pristine and my room was lovely. The room service left something to be desired, but the hotel restaurant was good. Luckily, there's a lot within walking distance, so you won't be cooped up much if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear joshuaaa –

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We are beyond thrilled to be your new hotel of choice. You have my promise that we will put some work into our room service and be ready to wow you during your next stay!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Director of Rooms

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!