“Beautiful hotel, beautiful view” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
“Beautiful hotel, beautiful view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I usually stay at the Ritz Carlton Marina del Rey, which I love, but this place may have been even better. The hotel is pristine and my room was lovely. The room service left something to be desired, but the hotel restaurant was good. Luckily, there's a lot within walking distance, so you won't be cooped up much if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear joshuaaa –

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We are beyond thrilled to be your new hotel of choice. You have my promise that we will put some work into our room service and be ready to wow you during your next stay!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

1,295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Fairmont is an excellent option for the business traveler who wants to mix in pleasure. The business amenities are satisfactory and the ambiance provides a lovely respite in between meetings. The staff is accommodating and extremely helpful. There is a SoulCycle around the corner (Wilshire & 2nd) which was so convenient. It would be great if the Fairmont partnered with SC to offer a discounted rate for guests!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear rkmizz –

I’m so pleased you found a little piece of paradise at our hotel! If you have any suggestions as to how our business amenities can be even better than “satisfactory”, please feel free to reach out to me directly! We will definitely take into consideration the partnership with SoulCycle (I love those classes too!), but be on the look-out for our own fitness center which is going through a complete renovation at the end of June. You may not want to cross the street and go elsewhere!

See you next time!

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Fairmont is a beautiful hotel. Our room was large (even had a balcony overlooking Santa Monica beach), personnel could not have been more accommodating. Can't imagine how this hotel was rated poorly by Gmsaba? Fantastic!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Brendabreeze777 –

Thank you so much for your kind words! Our team here loves to have their efforts recognized and I can tell you agree with me that they are more than deserving. I look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Miramar soon.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely the worst i have ever stayed. The rooms are too small and the bathroom terrible. Im 1,85 m tall and I hit my head in the shower every day. They suggest me to move the room for the same size of my room and i decline. After that they charge me U$ 120,00 for the phone calls that a made for their managers to try to change the room.
Terrible expierence. Avoid this hotel, to expensive for what they offer, should be a 3 star and cost U$ 150 per night not U$ 450.
Terrible!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Gmsaba –

It is quite difficult to read that we are the worst hotel you have ever stayed at and I am profoundly sorry you left feeling that way. I remember your stay quite clearly, and while your dissatisfaction was apparent, I also remember our team extending every possible courtesy to accommodate you – inclusive of adjusting those phone calls you mentioned in your review. You have my sincerest apologies that we were unsuccessful. As you were celebrating a special occasion, we without hesitation gave you a complimentary upgrade prior to your arrival from the room category you had booked (the lowest available) and in fact offered additional upgrades after you checked in due to your disappointment with your room. We have over 90 suites averaging 650 square feet and 32 sprawling bungalows which offer an abundance of space as well – I am terribly sorry you did not get to experience one of those rooms which are hardly small by anyone’s standards.

If you would like to share additional comments, I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at any time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We spent the past weekend at the Fairmont Miramar with our two young sons and had a wonderful stay. We were a bit concerned by the other reviews about the noise from the new club but found that we had no reason to be. The rooms were very comfortable and we found it very quiet at night. Not to say there wasn't any noise, but we were staying in Santa Monica, and any noises we heard came from the normal sounds of the city off the grounds. The staff were incredibly friendly and attentive and deserve to be recognized. The cleaning staff inadvertantly took our young son's pacifiers from our room when they collected the towels. When we called them at his bed time to ask if they had them the staff not only knew that we were missing two pacifiers but also brought them quickly to our room having already sterilized them for us --- that was a huge catstrophe avoided in a very impressive way. The food was delicious. I cant think of anything we ordered that wasn't excellent. The pool was a very nice mix of tourists from around the globe, families with kids and couples enjoying the beautiful weather. The hotel location is excellent for walking around Santa Monica, whether you are only up for short distances to the 3rd Street Promenade or further to Main Street Santa Monica or Abbett Kinney.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Travlwkid Z –

As many of our team members here are parents to young children, we like to think we are better than most at anticipating the needs of the families that stay with us – I’m beyond pleased we were so successful with yours! And that is fantastic to hear you loved our restaurant, Fig. What Chef Ray Garcia is doing in the kitchen is truly amazing (not to mention delicious!) and its great to get such wonderful feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back upon your next visit to Santa Monica.

Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a mini vacation up north from Newport Coast to Santa Monica for a few days.

I booked with my AMEX Platinum card through the Fine Hotels and Resorts Website. By doing this, the resort guarantees early check in (12pm), late check out (4pm), breakfast included, and upgrade, and a resort specific amenity. The amenity here is a Spa Credit, which we were happy to use.

We arrived around 130pm on a busy Sunday Afternoon, but were warmly greeted by the valet and porters. Our bags were taken and held, as we checked in.

Our room was ready, but the folks at the desk said they have a upgrade for us if we could wait til 3pm. We decided to get a snack at the local restaurant FIG, which was pretty good. This is also the place where you get your breakfast every morning. After eating, we went back down to the main desk. The agent said she was going to personally check on the room herself, and said if I wanted a drink at the bar (on the house), while I wait.

Our room was ready in the next 5 minutes and boy, it was worth the wait! We booked an ocean view room (which usually is just a peek of the ocean), but were upgraded to a head on ocean front room. The room was a little small, but the view was fantastic.

We had dinner planned later that night at Via Veneto and discussed this with the concierge. They offered us the use of their house car with a driver for free (as long as the place was within Santa Monica City Limits.)

The next day, we had breakfast at FIG. I wasn't sure what our spending limit was, but we definitely didn't starve. Typical breakfast selection with some Mexican themed breakfast dishes.

We decided to have a Spa day as well, and were hoping for a couples massage. Alas, they didn't have any rooms that would fit a couple, but we had great massages anyway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear rkmoy,

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for taking the opportunity to write a review.

Should you make a trip to Santa Monica again in the future we hope you choose Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Kerns
Guest Relations
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Having stayed regularly at other Fairmont hotels, including their two hotels in Bermuda which are really top class, this one was a bit of a disappointment. It’s a very pretentious hotel but as soon as you scratch the surface you realize it’s far from meeting expectations. Our room was reasonably large (although not very large by US standards) but much of the space was occupied by a huge closet so the two double beds were squeezed against walls on both sides of the remaining area in the room. The beds were very narrow for double beds (and this time not just by US standards but by any standard), and the quality of the mattresses was simply awful. The room had basically no view (a view of an adjacent tower). On the positive side, the bathroom was very large, and bathrobes as well as complimentary bottles of water were provided. The room also had a minibar and a safe. But everything else comes at a price here, including ridiculous fees for wifi and parking. Being charged for such a basic service as wifi is just unacceptable for me when paying a room in excess of 400$ a night.

We found the bar area rather worn out and service there is one of the most unprofessional I’ve seen in the US (I tipped accordingly, sorry…) e.g. one waitress didn’t even bother to lay our glasses on the table but asked us to grab them ourselves from her tray, or when sitting at the bar I watched a waiter bringing back empty glasses to the kitchen and throwing their content in the sink with such negligence and disdain that a couple of the USED ice cubes left in the glasses bounced back and ended up in the container holding the FRESH ice cubes!!! The bar has a nice terrace but it has only 8 tables or so, so it’s very hard to find a spot to sit.

All in all, even if I can’t say that my stay here was bad, I feel I just didn’t get value for my money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!