“Beautiful hotel + Flawless service!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful hotel + Flawless service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The hotel staff is VERY friendly, polite and goes above and beyond. Aaron at the Front Desk greeted us warmly and upgraded us to a suite, Stan, one of their Bellman was extra helpful and Sheri at the Concierge treated us like VIPs!

Even though the hotel grounds are beautiful, rooms are spacious and location is perfect, what we remember about the Fairmont is how nice the staff was to us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear 82Pier82,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to share your comments with Sheri, Aaron, Stan and the rest of our team. We sincerely strive to provide superior service to each and every one of our guests. We are so happy you enjoyed your time at Fairmont Miramar and look forward to the opportunity to service you again.

1,294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We were there 2/10/2013. Booked king, ocean view, got king 1/2 barely ocean view 1/2 wall. At night we could not sleep because the bungalow club, which is part of the hotel, was blasting music. We were on the 4th floor and could here the music really loud. We complained and they switched us to another room on 4th floor. Well, that didn't help at all because it was next to another hotel which people were loud. Pretty much we didn't sleep the whole night. The hotel gave us free breakfast. The bottom line is the hotel has really bad noise insulation bc you can hear everything from the outside. We stayed in Times Square New York which is twice as noisy but the hotel has good noise insulation that we couldn't hear the noise. If you want a hotel to sleep in, the fairmont is definitely NOT the hotel you want. perhaps if you ask for penthouse, maybe there is no noise. This is a 5 stars hotel and it didn't delivered!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Sonshine72,

Thank you for your comments on our hotel. It is your comments which provide the most valuable contribution to our constant efforts towards improving our property. While the new lounge at our location is without a doubt busier and louder than we ever expected, I can assure you we are working swiftly and diligently to upgrade those rooms in order to provide the quiet and restful environment our guests deserve.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The hotel location is good and we got a ocean view facing room. It's not a new property but the room was very well-maintained. We enjoyed having a balcony where we can enjoy the lovely sea breeze.

There were minimal toiletries in the room and we have to call housekeeping for additional items like shampoo, bathroom slippers, etc. Things you will expect from a 5 star property. It seems they purposely put the bare minimum so we have to keep calling them to bring over things we needed. The service was prompt and efficient, but we have to tip them everytime they came over and it seems like we are "buying" the items. We are not stingy with tips (we left a good tip on our pillows every single day), but we don't like to feel obligated to pay for something that we should received. The room rates are so expensive and there's no shampoo for the guests?

Valet parking is compulsory at USD28 (before tax) and they said it'll be parked in a secured gated area in the property.. however each time we collect our car, they will drive it in from the outside and we realized they parked it out on the streets! Why must we pay USD28 for such 'service'? Each time we collect and return the vehicle we have to tip the valet USD3. Imagine us going out twice a day, that's USD40 for someone to park our vehicle out on the street. (We drove a Mustang convertible).

We received a special surprise as we informed them that it was our Honeymoon trip. They placed a plate of chocolate strawberries and champagne in our room on our 1st night. That was a very unexpected surprise. :)

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but we felt that service could be better and they could have offered in house guests a better rate for the compulsory valet fees. Also, we felt that some of the staff had preferential treatment to the White guests (we are Singaporean-Chinese) and a few of them gave us the impression that we couldn't afford to stay in their posh hotel & are poor tippers, when in fact we are paying customers who tip very well.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean facing room with balcony
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Thank you, Manager Matthew, for fixing things up for us when I screwed up and booked a room at for the wrong date. I'd bought a non-refundable room at the hotel on hotels.com for $300 and the hotel rate the night we want to stay was $600. First we were told to call hotels.com to straight it out and hotels.com told us to talk to the hotel. It was a mess! But then Matthew stepped in and made all the problems go away with no extra charges and gave us a fabulous room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear seatofthepants,

Let me first begin by saying...we love your TripAdvisor username!

Secondly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Matthew Lehman (Director of Operations) is one of many dedicated team members at Fairmont Miramar who work tirelessly to ensure guests are well looked after. I will be sure to share your feedback with him.

Please do let us know if your travels bring you back to Fairmont Miramar. I would be happy to assist you with your reservation.

Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My first review on TA ever, and rightfully so! I felt obliged to write one since the service provided by Anastasia, one of the staff members at reception, was most definitely of the highest caliber and impressed us the most. Thank you Anastasia!
My husband and I stayed here for a week last month, during our first ever trip to California. The hotel is well maintained, even though it's not your typical Fairmont property. Concierge service is prompt and the food at Figs was fantastic. 5 stars!

Dear Denise W,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate that we are your very first TripAdvisor review! I will be sure to let Anastacia know you acknowledged her stellar service at the Front Desk. Our agents delight in providing positive encounters with each and every guest. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your again in the future!

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at this property for a week just before Christmas for the second time in as many years. Although our 2011 stay was perfect in virtually every way, there were many, many small issues which made this a stressful experience and one we won't be keen on repeating any time soon.

It started literally the moment we drove down the driveway. The area under the fig tree was closed for a wedding (the ceremony was happening at that very moment) yet the attendant at the gate wasn't clear as to where we should proceed, and once half way down the drive he ran after our car and had the gall to tell us we needed to move it pretty much immediately. We were then directed to the alternate entrance where the valet ended up driving almost off the lot with our bags before the porter could remove them from the trunk. It was all pretty shameful and highly uncoordinated. We were later informed that Fairmont outsourced the valet portion of the business and it shows.

We addressed the above concerns with the night manager who did make attempts to amend the situation, which was generous, but unfortunately the bad impression was already made.

The room was spacious (one bedroom suite) but it was dirty. Lots of dust in cracks and crevices that was visible to the naked eye. I have no idea how she did it, but the chambermaid managed to deposit strands or hair (not ours based on the colour) on the ceiling. I also became so fed up with receiving coffee-stained towels (at least I pray to god it was coffee) that I left a number of them in a heap in the middle of the room with a large note saying "no more stained towels, please"

As Fairmont President Club members we were very happy to receive a lovely welcome tray of goodies upon our arrival. We were even more surprised to receive a second tray mid-week addressed with our room number yet someone else's name. They too were delicious (we naturally called the front desk to advise them that a mistake had been made prior to digging in) but it was careless that we received them at all.

Last but not least, towards the end of the stay I ventured down to the valet to take out a house bike. I had been speaking to the concierge about this service at length and from a logistical perspective he simply said to see the valet at any point and they would take care of me. So, upon arrival I requested a bike and was asked to fill out a waiver and for a credit card. I didn't bother to bring my cc with me as it was literally just going to be a ride along the bike path. Although I can understand the need to have one for security, the front desk already had a cc on file for the room, so this made no sense to me, nor was I informed of this when I spoke to the concierge in advance about this offering. Had it been mentioned, I would have been prepared, if not still likely confused as to why a second cc was required (no clear explanation was given by the valet when asked)

The only true shining moment of this stay was Fig, the in-house restaurant. We dined there a number of times for breakfast as well as our last dinner. The food and service are stellar. Too bad it couldn't make up for the rest of the shortcomings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AandBfromT,

First and foremost I would like to sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with your December stay! After reading your post, it is clear that your stay was not what you were hoping for. This dissatisfaction is something I take very seriously and will address with my team members. It is our mission to provide superior experiences. We constantly strive to pay attention to the details and I again apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay in December.

I would like to arrange the opportunity for you to speak to our General Manager over the phone. Please feel free to email me at jacqueline.kerns@fairmont.com to arrange a convenient time.

I look forward to hearing from you.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights overall and the first 2 were great. However, could not get to sleep until about 2am on the third night due to blaring music coming from the downstairs bar. Even from the 7th floor, it was incredibly loud. To rub salt into the wound, it was the kind of music you would get at a bad disco at a wedding. My distress spilled over into the next day as I could not get some these incredibly cheesy and irritating, yet incredibly catchy, songs out of my head :(

Despite this, the rest of our stay was very nice. The hotel is in close proximity to the beach, the pier and the 3rd street promenade. The rooms are fresh and nicely decorated with good amenities. Bathroom was fine but didn't like the doors as they don't offer as much privacy as I'd like. I believe all rooms have a balcony looking out to the beach which offers a nice place to relax. Breakfast was very tasty and the service was swift. Very friendly staff.

May stay here again but a little put off by the disruptive third night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!