“Fairnont is the gold standard in Santa Monica” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
“Fairnont is the gold standard in Santa Monica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The location is perfect for walking or renting a bike and biking around. Right across from the beach. Legendary service and a truly gorgeous restaurant. Worth the investment all the way! Got a good deal online.

• Stayed December 2011

1,269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
East Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed on the American Express Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts Program. The staff was great, but the suite they gave me was decorated about 40 years ago and never updated! The carpet was old and stained. I had to call housekeeping because the bathroom floor had sticky stains right around the toilet, which unfortunately I discovered with my bare feet. It was sickening. There are MUCH BETTER fine hotels and resorts properties in the LA area. I would not stay there again. The spa is terrible as well. There was NOTHING five star about my experience other than the staff I had the pleasure of interacting with. The suites they show on the website looked nothing like the one I had.

If you are a beach lover, be careful where you walk near the hotel. There are numerous homeless people all along the urban beach and the park across from the hotel. The stairs/ foot paths over the PCH to the beach smell of urine. Our assumption was the homeless people sleeping all along the way are using them as urinals!

After having a perfect experience at The London West Hollywood, these two nights were a disappointing end to the trip. We should have stayed at The London. When I return in December I will stay at The London again, but not The Fairmont.

Room Tip: Be sure you insist on a renovated room. This hotel is TIRED!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We often travel to LA to see our son who lives there. We stayed at the Fairmont because we won a charity auction which included this property for a 3 night stay. We upgraded to a suite and added a 4th night. Our initial room overlooked the parking lot. The windows had poor glazing so the room was quite noisy. The next morning the hotel manager, who was very friendly, apologized and moved us to a suite on the other side of the hall. The room was much quieter (except for a noisy minibar frig in the living room) and as it faced the ocean- much prettier. All the staff were quite friendly. The hotel has a great location in Santa Monica- across from Palisades Park which has a great walking/jogging trail overlooking the ocean from a bluff, and one block from the 3d street promenade. Santa Monica is very nice but impractical if you are going anywhere else as you are stuck taking the highway called the "10" which took us over one hour to traverse 3 miles on a Friday afternoon. Our suite was competent. It had a good sized living room with a couch, easy chair, writing desk and large television. The carpeting was fine. The decoration was pleasant. The room had a digital thermostat. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were okay (not great but not bad). On the downside, there is only a tub/shower with a shower curtain (okay if you have little kids taking a bath but otherwise annoying). Also, the bathroom only has one sink. If you stay in a bungalow the tub/shower has a glass enclosure. Also, if you stay in the tower, there are nice balconies overlooking the ocean but the rooms are small. The grounds are pretty and there is a pool and jacuzzi. We have also stayed at the Loews in Santa Monica but liked the Fairmont better (as the rooms are nicer), although the Loews pool area has a separate seating area with fire pits which are quite nice on a cool evening. The price for the suite was $429 plus tax which I thought to be quite reasonable for LA.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view of the ocean stay in the tower. If you want a suite with a separate living...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I came here for work and only work in the Hollywood area, so let me start with this, only stay here if you are going to be in and around Santa Monica. If you are going to be in downtown LA or Hollywood this hotel is WAY out of the way. However, if you do stay here, while the rooms are a little older and not as modern, the service is OUTSTANDING. From the friendly valets who learn your name to the room service people who brought me cough medicine because I said I wasn't feeling well when I ordered my food, I could not have asked for better service. The beds are very comfortable as well. Rooms are also very spacious which is nice and they have espresso machines in the room! My only issue outside of location which will not be an issue for everyone is just that it's not as modern as other hotels. Other than that, it's perfect

Room Tip: Being on a top floor helps alot
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for four nights in late October. We were travelling with our two young kids (aged 6 and 4) and were on a two week holiday where we also stayed at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas, Loews Coronado Bay in San Diego and The Grand Californian Hotel in Disneyland. This was our second visit to Santa Monica.

Of all the hotels we stayed at during our trip, the Fairmont Miramar was easily our favorite.

The hotel is friendly, stylish and close to all the action in Downtown SM, along with being a mere five minutes from the beach. Front of house; the lobby, bar, restaurant (Fig) and pool area were all welcoming and spotlessly clean. Service was discreet and professional, with a special mention to the various staff on concierge, who were so helpful in advising us on where and when to visit each day. The hotel had on the day of our arrival, taken delivery of a new fleet of white BMW mountain bikes, which were free for use by all guests. We used these to cycle down to the madness in Venice Beach (then quickly cycled back again!).

The room was clean and well appointed, the bath was a wee bit small but perfectly usable (you get what you pay for…) and the beds were very comfortable. Our balcony overlooked the pool, the beach and the ocean – all of which were an amazing sight to wake up to each morning.

Away from the hotel, I can highly recommend Boa steakhouse, which is a five minute walk along Ocean Drive and served quite simply the best steak I have ever tasted. We visited twice in three days and would have gone again if we had discovered it earlier.

(I also wish I could give you the name of the brunette lady who worked behind the main bar, as she was fantastic. Her memory retention for what her customers had been previously drinking, even two days prior, was worthy of a stage act. She juggled drinks, was quick and friendly with the banter and at no stage kept anyone in a very busy bar waiting to be served – a consummate professional and one of the few people we met who nailed me as a Londoner when almost everyone else we met asked us which part of Australia we came from! Jeez!)

Room Tip: An ocean view would be my preference
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jackie K, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
MattN21,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel! I'll be sure to let our bartender Angela know you appreciated her service! She is a talented mixologist and from your feedback looks like she can add acute accent awareness to her resume!

We thank you again for staying with Fairmont Miramar. Should your travels bring you back to our hotel, please let me know and I will gladly assist with your reservation.

Sincere Regards,

Jackie Kerns
jacqueline.kerns@fairmont.com
Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for a 3 day trip to Santa Monica. The views are beautiful and the balconys are decent. The rooms are standard and the location is what makes this hotel cost more then some in the area. Parking doesn't exsist unless you use valet which there is a daily charge for plus tips but that seems the norm in the area. The location couldn't be better..close to everything! Beautiful resort and friendly professional staff.

Room Tip: If you can get a ocean view it is nice to wake up and enjoy the view from the balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jackie K, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Faith H,

Thank you for your comments! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our location. Fairmont Miramar is "Where Wilshire Meets the Sea" and we feel very lucky to have a property overlooking the Pacific Ocean, close to shopping, dinning and the iconic Santa Monica Pier.

Please feel free to let me know when you return to the area. I would be happy to assist with your room reservation.

Kind Regards,
Jackie Kerns
Jacqueline.kerns@fairmont.com
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I have stayed in numerous Fairmont properties and other high end chains. For the price, this property was surprisingly not worth it.

Firstly, I would like to say the Valet staff were very friendly and efficient. There was only one occasion where we were expecting our car to be delivered at the main entrance but it was waiting at their Ocean ave entrance. We waited at the main entrance for about fifteen minutes before I overheard another couple say the cars are waiting on Ocean. Staff never approached us to find out what we were still waiting for.

We stayed in the Palisades Tower, 5th floor facing the street. Not too noisy; however, we could easily hear our neighbors through the adjoining room door. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. The pillows were good. As mentioned in other reviewed the TV was parallel to the bed so you had to rearrange furniture to watch it. Deferred maintenance included the shower which was tricky to get working and the bathroom sink tap that came apart in my hands. The included safe functioned well. Plenty of closet space, clean towels, robes, and hangers. The Inspresso machine was a pleasant treat. Cleaning staff did an okay job; though, one day we arrived back from Disney Land around 9pm and they were only just then starting to clean the room - very odd - definitely wasn't the regular turn down service.

The grounds were well kempt. Pool and hot tub were clean. We really enjoyed the salt water pool. Lack of pool side seating and there was no pool side service for drinks or otherwise. I
noticed some people walked into the restaurant to flag someone down.

We tried the Fig for breakfast on morning. 50 bucks for the two of us. Service was good and for the first time in personal history the waiter asked if my eggs were cooked to my liking.

I would highly recommend third street for shops, restaurants etc... Way more variety and not a far walk. Neighborhood is safe, morning and night.

Complimentary bike rentals were and added treat.

Other guests were for the most part incredibly pretentious - probably an LA thing. Everyone staring everyone up and down, judging.... When I'm on vacation I don't wear a suit (who does) and I've never felt so looked down upon by guests and even staff when strolling around in shorts and a deigner tshirt. I was asked on a number of occasions if I was a guest. I appreciate the security perspective; however, there becomes a time when it starts feeling insulting.

On a similar topic, while in the lobby bar with my shorts and tshirt, I was waiting about 10 minutes before staff approached me. The pretentious guests who showed up after me were served first. Again, I felt like my presence was an annoyance. 1.5 hours later, and only two glasses of wine and a salad... 50 bucks.

My wife was scheduled for a massage and I had to ask management to ask a construction crew to stop work near the therapy rooms. Why would I pay 150 for an 60min massage with hammers and saws playing in the background. Staff seemed annoyed that I asked about this but resolved the situation.

In conclusion it was an okay place to stay, but having now read other reviews there are likely better options.

In short, to hotel management, you need happier, less pretentious staff, repair the deferred maintenance, and have better pool side bar service. You really lost a lot of $ from us on that point.

Cheers,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!