“Favorite Hotel in Santa Monica” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Melbourne
“Favorite Hotel in Santa Monica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Love this hotel! This was our second visit - we don't get to LA nearly enough - and again the service and hotel were fantastic. Thankyou for a wonderful stay. The only comment I would make is that the doors to the room have a gap under them and sometimes the noise from the corridor is a bit loud.

Room Tip: Get a balcony with a view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jackie K, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear alexandra001,

Thank you for your response. We are excited to hear we are your favorite Santa Monica hotel! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows.

Kind Regards,

Assistant PR Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kent UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with my husband, 17 and 15 year old.Starting with the only negative, we were told this was a family room but did find it on the small size for all of us and space was limited especially with 4 cases.As only for 2 nights not really a problem if staying any longer I would have requested a room change. Check in very smooth and staff friendly. In our room there was a card welcoming us which I thought was a nice gesture. There was also a platter with crackers,?dips and fruit was not sure if this was complimentary and no information to tell us, so we left it in case we incurred a huge charge.Still do not know forgot to ask. Mini fridge, did not use and tray with crisps, cookies etc to buy with price list easily visible. Room looked towards Santa Monica pier and the ocean, had a small balcony which was wonderful to sit out on and admire the view.Small bathroom but again adequate and everything we needed.Free safe in wardrobe. Location perfect, 5 - 10 mins stroll to the pier, shopping complex, restaurants. Used complimentary car to take us to Venice beach, no problems with booking it.Re return we were given a card with a phone number on to re book journey back and told that any restaurant would ring for us. We did not use this service so unable to rate it as had a slow stroll back along the coast line. Along the way there are restrooms, water fountains, cafes. Hotel room clean, beds comfortable, air con good. We found our room to be quite and did not experience any noise that other reviewers have commented on. Every evening there was a turn down service and 4 bottles of water left.Complimentary newspaper left outside room every morning. Used small restaurant in lobby for desserts and drinks1 night, on the pricey side but convenient and tasted good.Did not use the pool area as there for such a short time and were out and about all day but could see that obtaining a sun lounger could be difficult.The concierge at the hotel were amazing. We dealt with a gentleman and younger lady who were both locals.The gentleman in particular ( I'm so sorry I'm unable to remember his name ) was very thorough, helpful and friendly. He organised an early check in for our next hotel stop in LA. I had to return to my room to collect different paperwork and he re rung them again,after doing all this he gave me advise regarding this room and checking in at our next stop.I saw him with other guests and his knowledge and approach were excellent. Would I stay here again ? yes definitely but would re think the rooms I booked re numbers in rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear JacBanf,

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to Santa Monica. Regarding the room sizes, Fairmont Miramar’s rooms are comparable to the other competing luxury competing hotels (whose names I will not use :).

I will let the concierge know that you were pleased with their services. The Concierge team is passionate about what it does. Each member of the team is engaged in the Los Angeles community to stay informed with all of the city’s newest offerings.

I am sorry that the card was missing from your welcome amenity that was in your room. That was intended for you to enjoy upon your arrival.

We hope you return to Santa Monica and we have the opportunity to serve you in the future. Please let us know if and when you do!

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Finding myself in Los angeles on business, I had one day of leisure before I flew home. Had a great stay in this hotel and the spa was out of this world - special mention for the therapist Shelley, who had the hands of an angel.

Room Tip: Noise is a consideration - so choose your room carefully.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jackie K, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear NevertoreturnGlasgow,

24 Hours of Heaven is a lovely review and personally I do not think it can get much better than that! We are delighted to hear of your feedback and thank you for visiting Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows.

I will personally let Shelley know you enjoyed her massage. Our hotel spa Exhale does offer a variety of lovely treatments and our therapists are known for their outstanding massages.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Assistant PR Manager
halifax w yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

This is probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The service, the room and the location and ambience is excellent and very relaxing. The staff were really helpful and couldn't do more for you. The hotel is very near to the beach, shops and restaurants although the hotel does actually have a great restaurant in house. The spa is also a real gem and I had the best massage ever. Also pay a visit to the gift shop, we had a real laugh with the lady working in there who gave us a very warm and entertaining welcome to Santa Monica. Special thanks also to the front desk who were great. I will be back!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Vincentsowners,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had a relaxing time.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bubgalows.

Kind Regards,

River Vale, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

After staying at the Ritz Carlton in Dana Point, we headed up north to Santa Monica. Upon arrival at the Fairmont Miramar, we were very disappointed. We had previously stayed at the Fairmont eight years ago, and the services seems to have gone down hill. We were greeted by unhappy staffs; from the valet to the front desk. I’m not sure if it’s because we just left the Ritz, where everyone were happy and smiling, but this is just depressing!

We experienced long waits at check in, as it turns out, most of the rooms were not ready. We left our luggage behind and went for a walk. Almost an hour later, we got a call to say our room is ready. I’ve booked an Ocean View Suite, in the Palisaded Building (for the extra space). If you can, avoid staying there. I did read the reviews and thought maybe people are just a little too picky. Boy, was I wrong! What they say are true. The rooms in the Palisades Building needs a total reno. The carpet was dirty and stained. Our room looks over a roof top, with air vents (a little more on this later), and if you really look, yes, you can see the ocean (the water is about a block and a half from the room). So, if you’re looking for that direct ocean view, this is not it. Our suite came with a sleeper sofa. The sofa bed was not made, and there are no extra beddings or pillows to be found. The bathroom was half updated, they did not change the baby blue tub and sink. The sink area had a rotten egg smell. The quality of the towels are what you expect at a Motel 6, definitely, not a Fairmont property.

Throughout our stay (4 nights), housekeeping did not leave us with enough towels for four people (the reservation was made for two adults/two children). Also, the sofa bed was made 1 out of 4 nights. Getting a good night sleep was another major issue. The humming noise from the roof top vents kept us up most of the night. It’s ugly and noisy. I didn’t know the roof top vents, qualify as part of an “Ocean View” theme.

The only saving grace is we booked a package, where it came with free valet parking and a $50 American Express gift card. Other than that, for the money we paid, this is not worth it. We are very disappointed and will not return to another Fairmont property again.

Dear Aimee,

First and foremost, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

We pride ourselves on service and it’s absolutely horrible to hear you felt we didn’t measure up to the experience you had at the Ritz, let alone receive the service you expect at a Fairmont property.

I tried to research which suite in the palisades building you stayed in, would you mind sharing this info with us?

We are in the process of redoing a lot of suites and have hired Lynda Murray, a LA based interior designer to work with us on this project. Currently there are 4 suites completed and more will be done throughout the rest of the year.

We are aware that some of the rooms and suites are dated, and we have allocated resources to improve our rooms and are in the process of doing so.

This doesn’t take away your experience and how it impacted your trip. I have spoken about your concerns with upper management and we would love to be able to invite you back and experience the new suites and deliver the service you should receive. Please let me know if you can share a mailing address so I can send you a certificate for your return. I would also like to speak with you if possible – please let me know.

Warm regards,
Paradise Valley, Arizona, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Beautiful hotel all the way around - UNFORTUNATELY we HEARD from hotel personnel the management have decided to possibly put a nightclub in front of the property! The personnel also told us this was an experiment on management's part. Yes, you are reading this correctly! We still can't believe it ourselves. This hotel is located on Wilshire Blvd and across the street from the beautiful and very large pacific ocean beach which is great for walking (there is a sidewalk along the beach). Every guest we spoke to was absolutely disgusted that Fairmont would take a risk of ruining their reputation with this type of venue. We were up until 2:00 a.m. because of the loud music of this new experimental "nightclub". Now - if you are a party person (and there are many of you out there) this is the place for you! Lots of action! But if you are looking for some relaxation - another hotel will suit you.

Room Tip: Make CERTAIN your room DOES NOT face the parking lot on Wilshire unless you are looking for action.
Dear Topogoldy,
Let me begin by expressing my sincere apologies for any noise you did experience during your stay with us. We have indeed opened a new lounge on property. Last week was not an experiment but rather only the second week of operation for The Bungalow, Santa Monica's newest lounge. Since it is so new we are still trying to work out all elements associated with the lounge- the noise included.

We understand that the noise presented an issue for some guests on the south side of the Tower building. We are working with management of the lounge to rectify the situation and ensure our hotel guests are not inconvenienced by the noise.

The fact that our staff mentioned that The Bungalow is an experiment, is incorrect and I will work with them to inform our guests appropriately.

I again apologize for the situation you incurred and do hope you return to Fairmont Miramar. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me.
You can email me at jacqueline.kerns@fairmont.com or by phone at 310-319-3164.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We (2 adults and 2 kids) booked a 550$ suite for three nights . We were disappointed by the fact there was no real privacy between the kid and the adult part : thin separation and only one bathroom/restroom on the parent side

After one night they allowed us to switch to two connecting rooms (+170$ extra per night)

Have in mind it is a big hotel, very well located , but with a party almost every night and music noise you can hear in your room until 1 or 2 am

Deary Deny67,

Thank you for choosing Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows and for taking the time to provide us with your comments. I did some research and tried to look up the suite your were originally in. Would you mind sharing this information? I am happy to hear that we were able to accomodate you with two connecting rooms.

In regards to the new lounge on property, we are working to rectify the noise issue. The music is much lower than it was last week and we are researching other options to decrease the noise. Our goal is to provide excellent service and ensure each guest does get a good night's rest.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay further as I would love to talk to you over the phone. I can be reached at 310-319-3164.

Assistant Public Relations Manager

Been to Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!