“Best hotel in Santa Monica!” 5 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Houston, TX
1,730 helpful votes 1,730 helpful votes
“Best hotel in Santa Monica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

After much shopping around, we picked the Fairmont Miramar Hotel for a recent 4 night visit. We got a rate of essentially $259/nt by booking a Deluxe Ocean View Tower Room using the Stay 4 Nights/Get 1 Free promotion. Here are the highlights:

1. Beautiful Decor and Grounds- The hotel felt like a luxurious, old money resort hidden amongst lush tropical foliage. Our room was decorated in a neo-Colonial style with stylish dark wood furnishings, flat screen TV, grasscloth wallpaper, etc... Also, as regards our view, it was amazing to see the Pacific Ocean and the Malibu coastline from our balcony.
> 2. Great Service- Every staff member we encountered had a friendly smile and helpful attitude. The room we received on the first night didn't get as cool with A/C as we wanted so the Front Desk Manager personally escorted us to a room on the 9th floor to let us see if the temperature was to our liking. It was and we were impressed by this personal level of attention.
> 3. Toiletries/Cleanliness- I am always curious about hotel toiletries and in the case of the Fairmont, I was pleased to see that there were Miller Harris Citron Citron toiletries in the room which were plentiful and smelled wonderful. On the topic of smell and cleanliness, the hotel was kept extremely clean on a constant basis and had a wonderful aroma in the main areas. The gym had a light pleasant cedar smell that was very spa-like.
4. Fitness Facility- The equipment was clean, top of the line and in excellent condition. There were complimentary apples, ice water with cucumber slices as well as ice water with lemon slices, the NY Times, the LA Times and the FT newspapers on a daily basis. The workout room had French Doors which looked out to a lovely Veranda and over the pool. I worked out 3 mornings in a row and each time, one if not two staff members were there disinfecting the equipment, tidying up and generally keeping the place spotless.
5. Location- I loved the location of the Fairmont. It was on Ocean Blvd and was about a block away from the hub-bub of Third St which made that area accessible but thankfully did not place us right in the noise/crowds. Also, FYI, the Fairmont was not "on the beach" but rather on bluffs which overlook the beach. We accessed the beach via a 10 minute walk.

Other things to consider...
1. Parking- To avoid the Fairmont's $30/nt parking charge, we parked at the public parking garage on Wilshire and 2nd St which is about 100 feet from the hotel entrance and cost only $10/night. It was super easy and very safe.
2. Morning Coffee- Surprisingly, coffee makers aren't std equipment in the Fairmont's rooms but we noticed another guest asked for a coffee maker for their room so we did the same. We were given at no charge a Krups Coffee Maker, a selection of Wolfgang Puck coffee and various coffee accoutrements which were replenished daily.
3. Bathroom Doors- This did not matter to me but our bathroom door was not a solid door but rather a set of louvered shutters through which "sounds" could travel. There was also no lock. My husband thought this was a little less-than-private... but I thought the louvers fit the decor.
4. Pool- The Pool is beautiful but it does not get much sun and there are only about 50 sunchairs crowded around the small-ish pool. From our balcony, we saw guests frantically hustling out to the pool at 8 am to "stake their claim" to a chair. If you are a sun worshipper, this pool is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We've stayed in many Fairmonts but this truly stood out. We really felt well cared for and pampered without fawning. Our ocean view room was small but we lacked for nothing - it was very comfortable. The package we bought was really great: breakfast was included as was parking. I thought it would be a breakfast buffet but we could have room service and order whatever we wanted or eat anywhere in the hotel. I thought it was a great value. The spa was superb as well!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights on a weekend to celebrate our anniversary. I made the reservation through American Express Travel and selected the room: "Deluxe Ocean View Kg Ns 250 SQ FT, Balcony,, Hsia, Located In Ocean Tower."

Although we arrived after the official check in time, we were told that our room was not ready yet. The front desk lady was apologetic and courteous and asked us if we'd like to sit in the bar/patio area and order any drinks which they would cover as we waited about 20 mins for the room. We were actually a bit hungry so ended up order some appetizer dishes as well -- I was perfectly willing to pay for the spinach dish we ordered, but when the lady came to inform us our room was ready, she said the appetizer was on the house as well. It was a positive way to start our stay!

We requested a small fridge (separate from the minibar fridge) for our room and the hotel staff brought it to us promptly and without fuss.

The parking unfortunately is quite expensive. There really isn't much of an alternative, you could try parking on the streets or in the Santa Monica parking structures but you run the risk of getting a ticket when the time limits are up and its just a lot easier for the valet staff to take the car. They were courteous nonetheless.

We walked to some great restaurants in the area, and of course the proximity of the 3rd street promenade is great. We also took some relaxing strolls on the cliffs overlooking the ocean and also took the stairways down to the beach to walk on the sand.

When I made the reservation, I told American Express that we were celebrating our anniversary, so when we returned to our hotel room the first night we found a plate of large strawberries with chocolate fudge and some sparkling apple cider .. (when I made the reservation, we also informed them that we don't drink alcohol, otherwise I know the dessert gift from the hotel would've included champagne).

The room is quite small, but the balcony had an awesome view of the ocean and the pool and bungalows below. The bed was quite comfortable and the furniture was what you'd expect in a high end hotel. We ordered room service for breakfast and the food was great, although pricey.

The pool area, surrounded by the bungalows, has a great little atmosphere at night.. there are fires lighting the pathways and music playing. I thought to myself if I ever came back to the Fairmont and had a lot of money to spend, I may go for one of the bungalows next time -- its like you are in a tropical vacation but you are still in the middle of LA.

Overall, we had a great experience here. The rooms and services are quite expensive, and that is to be expected. But you get a quality stay in a luxurious setting.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

WE stayed one night in late April. It was our last night away after a 3 and a half week tour of the US. The staff at check in were very friendly and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite in the old building. The room was huge and gave us plenty of room to repack all our suitcases in preparation for going home. We had a nice view of the pool and a view through the trees of the beach.
The hotel was an easy walk to the beach, Pier and mall shops. Our flight wasn't until late at night so we asked for a late check out. The hotel was full for the next night but we were able to stay until 3.00.. Breakfast was included which was lovely in an open poolside venue. We went into LA for a few hours and were then able to come back, pack up and have a late lunch, early dinner before going to the airport.
A great hotel - highly recommended

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
san anselmo, ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The staff are wonderful and thoughtful, the rooms are elegant, and the location is very relaxing.
Right next to the ocean and a great park across the street.
And the shops and restaurants are close by, with all sorts of great eats.
It's a great place, not too snooty, and Santa Monica itself is such a great city.
TIP:If you join the President's club (for free)you get free internet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hoboken, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Only stayed one night after a week in Santa Barbara , but the hotel was wonderful.

Service : Up to Fairmont usual quality. I made a mistake and had booked my room for the previous night by accident, but they were very understanding and moved the reservation without charging a no-show fee. In addition, I was traveling with my husband, young daughter, cousin, her husband, and their young son. On arrival, both children were given a stuffed animal, and the requested crib (complimentary, real wood, sturdy) in the room also came with a baby survival pack (lotion, wipes, etc.). This was a very nice touch I thought!

Property : The hotel is beautiful and in a great location. Steps away from the 3rd St Promenade and maybe a 15 min walk to the pier. We used the pool which was somewhat small but perfectly adequate for a city hotel. The pool area had complimentary iced lemon water and comfortable lounge chairs. The bungalows around the pool area looked amazing !

Room : I stay in a lot of Fairmonts, so it was a pretty typical fairmont room (i.e. good, the beds are super comfortable. Love fairmont pillows!). We had an ocean front deluxe room in the tower which had a great direct view of the ocean, but my only complaint was that the balcony had a cement wall instead of glass so you couldn't see the view unless you actually stood on the balcony and looked over the wall. Wasn't very pretty from the room itself. My cousin stayed in a room on the side of the tower which overlooked the pool (cheaper rate) and she still had a view of the ocean but with the glass balcony. Most of the rooms have this, from the looks of it.

All in all, you can't go wrong. Beautiful hotel, great location, lovely pool, excellent service. Wish we had stayed longer so I could have tried the spa. Would definitely stay again !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Avondale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

On the second day of our stay (05/28/2011), the hotel sent in to my bank a proof of funds in the amount of $1500 plus. At the day of checking out (05/31/2011), the final amount was charged which was $1600 plus. As of today (06/02/2011), both payments have been taken out of my account and under a pending status. In couple of days, the hotel would have kept double the required charges for almost a full week. I have verified with my bank (Chase) that the funds are under the control of the hotel. I'm just wondering where does the pending money is at, when I do not have access to it. And what if the amount was $10,000 instead $1500. Does this mean that the bank would hold a total of $20,000. I smell a stinky process of verifying funds. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have paid in cash. If I do not get a legitimate answer with 100% proof of the hotel not gaining interest on the money held, I will seek legal action against the hotel. Could you imagine what would be the gain on a 2% interest on all money held across the entire chain of hotels owned by the hotel corporation.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk