“DoubleTree Guest Suites Not Up to Standard” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Honors Points
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Belvedere, CA
“DoubleTree Guest Suites Not Up to Standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

We stayed here for three nights. The facility has an attractive lobby and almost all personnel were helpful and courteous. The suite we had was adequate, with sitting room and separate bedroom. There was a miniscule kitchenette area with tiny fridge.
The negative aspects of our stay include the following:
Freeway view
Unattractive and dirty carpets
Thin, hard and very cheap toilet paper
Inexpensive, mass market-type amenities
Broken air conditioning
No face cloths in bathroom
No complimentary robes for use when headed to the pool
No decaf coffee
Drinking glasses removed after first night and never replaced

This are little annoyances that make the hotel seem cheap and not quite up to standards that one would expect from such a place based on price and location.
We would find a different hotel for future stays.

• Liked — Size of suite
  • Disliked — The lack of amenities such as towels and face clothes and robes. Also poor quality shampoos, toilet paper. And the ungenerous allocation of coffees, water glasses and the like.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Delray Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

I stayed here for one night on business. It was TERRIBLE in just about every way imaginable for only being at a hotel for 9 hours total.

My co-worker and I checked in about 10:45 p.m. We had both flown in from Seattle and were tired and hungry. We asked the front desk staff if the restaurant was still open but we were told it was closed and that we could order room service until 11 p.m. We hurried to our separate rooms where we each ordered room service.

While waiting for my small pizza to arrive, I was astonished at how tiny my room was. I thought this was a “suite” hotel? Obviously not. My room was the “lock off” side of a suite. It was a tiny studio, and I believe it was meant for children. The desk was really just a tiny table that housed a lamp and the coffee maker. I needed to get some work done before retiring and figured that since it was all just for one night, and it was already nearing midnight, I would just stay in the room rather than asking to be moved to a different room (a suite!). I cleared a tiny spot for my laptop, then realized there was no space for me to put any of my work or files. This was clearly not meant to be a desk to be used for workspace, and I clearly was not going to be able to configure any way to work in this tiny room.

I called my co-worker so we could chat about our plans for the morning and how we’d get to our morning meeting in Thousand Oaks. During that phone call I commented about how tiny my room was. She was amazed at how small mine was given the size of hers. I walked down the hallway to see her room and was shocked to see that she had a full bedroom, a living room and huge bathroom. It was truly a suite – 3 separate rooms. Weird thing is that we both paid $259/night, but I had a little studio – I REALLY mean a LITTLE studio. My room was so small that I couldn’t even get into the closet to retrieve the ironing board. The closet door was so narrow and I couldn’t get the ironing board out of that space; I have no idea how they got the ironing board into the closet in the first place! It seriously seemed as if my room was sized for children.

The next morning, I went into the bathroom and I had no power! The lights wouldn’t turn on, and I tried to plug in the hairdryer, but no luck! Again, I had arrived to the hotel very late the night before, and now it was 6 a.m. For me to call the front desk and have maintenance come in would have meant that I would have been very late to the training I was delivering in Thousand Oaks later in the morning. So, I showered in the dark, and dried my hair next to my nightstand.

At checkout, I explained to the young man about my room and that it wasn’t a suite – it was a tiny studio that was a lock-off room to an actual suite. I further explained that there was now power to the bathroom. He did not make eye contact with me, looked at his computer, and said, “I’m sorry ma’am.” That’s it! If I hadn’t been in such a hurry to get to our meeting, I would have asked to speak with a manager. I was on business, with a co-worker, it had only been 9 hours since I checked in, and I resolved to just never return.

We then went to the valet stand to pick up our rental car that we had dropped off with the valet when we arrived 9 hours earlier. My co-worker had called down at 7:45 a.m. and requested the car be ready about 8:10. We arrived to the valet stand about 8:12. When she gave him our valet ticket, and pointed to our car that he had waiting for us, he said to my co-worker, “Oh, so you’re the person I’ve been waiting for the past 30 minutes!” Yes, our jaws dropped.

We will not return to this Doubletree. They should be ashamed of themselves and Hilton should be embarrassed to have them as part of the Hilton family of hotels.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I gave this an above average rating, but really it was somewhere in between average and above average. It was adequate....rooms were fine and clean, but antiquated. The TVs were clearly at least 7 or 8 years old...one didn't work until we gave it a whack. There was no fridge as advertised. The weather was a little cool for April and for some reason there was a wind tunnel throughout the entire hotel so when you were out of your room in the common area or dining room it was always cold/breezy. The breakfast was pricey and the hotel was a 10 minute walk to the pier area. We had neither an ocean or mountain view....we had the high school baseball field view...not so terrible, just unexpected. On a postiive note, the staff was very nice and accomodating and the beds were comfy. Again, it was fine....just needed some updating.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St Andrews, FIFE, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

My girlfriend and I decided to do a bit of a tour of LA - visiting the touristy areas but also looking for a bit of relaxation. On our last night we decided to head to Santa Monica to enjoy the pier and beach before flying back to the UK the next afternoon. To be honest we were not particularly fussy about where we stayed and, as the Doubletree had a reasonable rate we decided to give it a go.

Having arrived at the hotel shortly after 11pm we decided to self park and were pleased to find that there was an elevator directly from the car park into the hotel lobby - indeed it was easier than using the valet service! At this time the lobby was quiet, looked very clean and was quite modern in feel. It also felt quite open, with the floors of the hotel having balconies overlooking the lobby area.

We checked in and went up to the 7th floor to our room. However our key didn't work. After a short trip back down to reception I was told that our room had been changed from the original one and we were now staying on the 6th floor and not the 7th!

After finally getting into the room, I'm glad for the switch. The new room was further away from the elevators and had a great view of the ocean (well only just, the room looked out in the direction of the ocean, but there were buildings obscuring much of the ocean view!). The fixtures and fittings all looked clean and the bathroom was clearly well maintained. There was a TV set in the bedroom which worked quite well, although occasionally the signal would disappear. The TV set in the living room area was better and did not suffer from this problem.

Overall I was very pleased with the standard of the room. It was comfortable and well appointed, with a small in room fridge and food preparation area. The bed was especially soft and very comfortable to sleep on (especially after a day at Disneyland!)

In terms of location, the hotel wasn't ideal, but acceptable. There was a 10 minute walk to the beach which wasn't too bad, although the proximity of the hotel to a fairly busy road was noticeable. Luckily the air conditioning in the room worked well so it wasn't necessary to open windows etc to encourage air flow.

In the morning we had breakfast in the hotel which was of a good quality with a variety of hot and cold selections. The cooked to order eggs were a nice touch and helped to avoid the dreaded soggy egg situation found in many buffet breakfast bars. We were also able to extend our checkout time to 2pm without charge which allowed us plenty of time to head to the beach/pier before our return to the UK.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Doubletree Guest Suites Santa Monica and would certainly consider this hotel again. However the rate would have to be good to tempt us away from properties which boast beach-side locations!

• Liked — The size of the rooms
  • Disliked — The location - closer to the beach would have been better
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

After the good reviews here, I chose to stay here for 2 nights at end of Feb w/end without a car. In my case, the results were pretty atrocious.

The suites in the middle of the hotel open inwardly into the cavern of the hotel -- so there is no natural light in the living room at all (only the bedroom) -- unlike the photos posted on their site. Considering there was continual loud noise from the parties on the first floor, the living room part was basically unusable for business or relaxation. The DTree site explicitly advertises a mini-fridge -- which my suite did not have. The TVs are curved screen monitors -- must be 15 years old. My room on the 3rd floor, with a tiny angular balcony, overlooked a baseball field through trees which muffled the sound somewhat from the adjacent highway. Somebody on this site said there was a free internet terminal in the business office -- its not free. Free WiFi is available if you have a laptop.

On arriving in the suite, it was very clear the white top bed cover was heavily soiled (brown). It looked like someone had defecated on it -- quite disgusting. Also in the bathroom on the opposite wall, the clearly visible main exhaust vent was totally overflowing with dirt/dust -- (interesting as there was no exhaust fan). (The photo is after I started to clean & doesn't do it sufficient credit!) The room had not been cleaned properly recently and there could not be even a basic form of room inspection -- these things would have been spotted and fixed otherwise. I tried calling the CARE line -- busy (Over the two days I tried calling several times and never got through -- this was almost funny considering their claims to solve any problems!!). I eventually tracked down housekeeping and they fixed these two problems -- reluctantly and with no apology. (Tried to tell me the marks were from their laundry machines -- uh huh!)

By the evening with the lights on, I could see that the fabric ivory window valances and adjacent walls were also almost grey with dirt/dust. I informed housekeeping the next day but it was never fixed (2 min with a vacuum would have done it). Housekeeping also wandered in and out without knocking even with the "Do Not Disturb" sign up -- for no apparent reason -- often just to use my phone!!

I was going to put this down to just one of those bad stays and forget it but no, the hotel also overcharged my credit card. I faxed a partial list of the problems to the hotel. The comptroller left me a message within 48 hrs apologizing for the overcharge (was refunded within a week) but that he was not responsible for the other areas and that the general manager would be personally contacting me. I've waited over 6 weeks before writing this review to see what he had to say -- there has been no contact whatsoever.

Generally, the hotel is across from a fire and police station and next to a busy highway and a school -- amazingly I did not hear much in the way of sirens -- mind you, I always have earplugs. I would also wonder about rooms that are called "ocean view" as there's a very large parking building across the road. Perhaps the very top floor might actually see some ocean. (At this time of year its dark by 6 so ocean views are rather overrated) Its a good 10 min walk to the beach area particularly if the crossing lights are against you. AC unnecessary at the time but seemed pretty weak.

Pros: comfy bed, fairly nice modern lobby area (rooms very dated), very helpful concierge, nice pool, bath itself clean enough to actually take a bath, strangely enough. Don't eat here -- for a great view go to the Loews on the beach before noon for brunch (too expensive to stay there -- see photo)

I certainly would not stay here again -- though if you get a highly used suite in one of the ends of the hotel and make sure you book through your corporate office rather than individually on their site you might be avoid some of my problems.
Be careful booking on their website, their pricing for multiple nights is weird & can be more than for separate reservations (e.g. book 3 nights avg cost say $260; book 2 nights & 1 night avg cost $210 + $260 so $227. Very strange for the same room.

I would give this 1.5 stars (as there was no flood :) )but half stars are not available. Very disappointed considering expectations.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Extraordinarily dirty
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

I have stayed in numerous hotels in the Santa Monica area, but the DoubleTree never disappoints. The location is great, the rooms are clean and comfortable. In my most recent stay (mid March 2008), I used the gym facilities for the first time - they were far better than what I would expect in this type of hotel...very impressive! the room service menu is a bit weak, but other than that, I love this place!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

This is a very nice hotel, and we enjoyed our two-night stay. The only problem is that the rooms facing 4th st. tend to be noisy (the freeway offramp for I10 is adjacent to the hotel). The double-paned sliding doors are good for keeping the noise down, but our AC wasn't strong enough, and my husband likes it really cool at night, so we had the door open. Too much noise for me. We asked to change rooms the second night and got a much nicer room on the side of the hotel that faces the playing field. Felt more spacious and bright. Front desk service was very accommodating. Food in restaurant OK, but a bit overpriced ($19.95 for breakfast buffet).

Stayed April 2008

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica? Share your experiences!