“Family holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Perth, Australia
“Family holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel was really nice. Staff very helpful and good location in Santa Monica close to Pier and Promenade. We would have proffered somewhere quieter but this was our choice not the hotels problem. Good stop over location.

Room Tip: Good location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Nice to read that you found our staff “helpful” – we consider them our secret amenity.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for 6 nights - I picked it due to central Santa Monica location, the fact it had a pool, sauna and was walking distance to beach and shops. Overall it lived up to all expectations - nice rooms with views of sea or Santa Monica mountains. Suite rooms with lounge and either King or Twin beds, bathrooms have either a shower or bath so request if you have a preference. As always sign up to reward programme for additional extras (higher level rooms) and reward points. I liked the free Wifi all over Hotel and no charge. Decor in hotel and rooms is a little dated but still in reasonable order.
Note:
I would park in Civic centre opposite at $5 a day rather than Hotel valet price of $30 per day - maybe they could offer a discount for HHonors card holders.
One thing I would change:
But it's a small point. I didn't like was the window from the lounge part of your room suite into the communal hall - this could be half frosted glass rather than clear to give a bit if privacy so you don't need to draw the curtains when watching the massive TV.
Overall:
I would recommend this hotel as a great value for money option with lots of facilities in good location. (Assuming you don't want beach front location with a price to match).

• Stayed February 2013
Thrilled that we lived up to your expectations; thank you for your endorsement and recommendation – please visit us again soon.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I liked this hotel very much. The staff are very welcoming and happy which makes a big difference. They actually say 'Welcome back!' to you every time you return to the hotel. I know it's corny but it did cheer me up! The concierges are very helpful but also quite laid-back. We particularly liked Eddie who recommended some excellent restaurants for us and also helped us find a bus trip which collected us from the hotel and was just what we were looking for.
The hotel is in an excellent location. It's within walking distance of loads of good restaurants and the 3rd street shopping centre. Its' also an easy walk to the beach. It feels very safe to walk around there which I found surprising for Los Angeles! (No offence!) We saw lots of people walking around in the evening and there were lots of joggers.
We had room 206 which had a rather odd shaped bedroom and a large living room. We found it very comfortable. There are 2 double beds in the bedroom and the linen, duvet and pillows are really good quality which makes for a lovely comfortable sleep! The towels are soft and fluffy and the toiletries are nice. There is a lovely swimming pool on the 3rd floor with a very sunny terrace. It is not large but it is well set out and has a lot of comfortable sunbeds. It does start to get shady after about 4pm but I'd had enough by then anyway. You can help yourself to a towel to use while you are by the pool and there is a small but quite well-equipped gym attached where you can get free filtered water from the cooler. You can also call room service and order food while you are up there.
The only negatives I could say is that the breakfast buffet is adequate but not great and it's quite expensive for what you get - although they charge the same as other hotels. Also I bought a 500ml bottle of water from the coffee bar on the ground floor which cost more than $4. I think that's a rip-off without a doubt!
Having said that I would be happy to stay at this hotel again anytime.

Room Tip: Probably best to go on floor 3 or above so you get a view. We were on 2 and had a view of a flat ro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for not only your business but for your very favorable comments – especially those of Eddie.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel looks like it was once an Embassy Suites. Open atrium, exterior rooms, etc. it's a decent hotel, the decor is somewhat dated, but not bad. However, the location is on 4th Street, just south of highway 10. "Technically" it's in Santa Monica, but not what you would expect when you want to stay IN Santa Monica.

The staff was nice, with the exception of the guy who checked us in. He was a real smart [--] and became boarder line argumentative with me. The ONLY thing I asked for was that I not be put on the side of the hotel facing the High School right next door. Guess which side of the hotel he put us on? You guessed it...on the side of the Santa Monica High School...GO VIKINGS!!!

I don't ask for much as one of Hilton's top tier customers (Diamond VIP), but when I have a simple request I don't expect attitude and I certainly don't expect the lack of common courtesy of at least telling me that they can't honor my room request. I'm trusting that my request was not honored for other reasons, but the way this guy acted I can't be sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We've addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.
New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Convenient to everything Santa Monica, waliking distance to Venice Beach, and much of LA's places of interest are within 1/2 hour. The hotel staff was very pleasant, the service was great, and the room was very large and well maintained. The only minor downside is that the pool was in the shade by about 4 pm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Pleased to read that you found our Hotel Staff "very pleasant". You will have to visit us again when the sun staysout a little longer over our pool.
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past year. It is a great location in the heart of Santa Monica. If you don't mind walking a mile, you can visit the restaurants of Venice to the South or up to Wilshire to the North. Very easy access to the Pier, the Santa Monica Mall and the Third Street Promenade. It is a comfortable and quiet hotel with attentive staff. I really enjoyed having a separate sitting area and bedroom. I will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, your previous visits and for your future consideration to return.
Marina del Rey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We come to Santa Monica a lot and if fact lived here for quite some time, we usually stay at the Delfina, but for some reason has become VERY Expensive. We have stayed at the Doubletree a few times, this trip we notice how bad the A/C is....really noisy and not very efficient. Overall though pretty good. At least the Delfina has free self parking, Doubletree......$28 per day, really thats too much.....we will be back though.....BTW really bad pillows, a Hilton thing.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow....this is no Sheraton!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Alarmed to read about the noise with your A/C Unit. Not sure if you contacted our Front Desk for a possible room move; if not, I would encourage any traveler to notify the property immediately in order to give them the opportunity to make it right.

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica? Share your experiences!