“The Greatest Luxury Hotel West Of The Mississippi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Huntley Santa Monica Beach

You added Huntley Santa Monica Beach to your Saves list
Huntley Santa Monica Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 Second Street, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly The Huntley Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
New York City, Ny
“The Greatest Luxury Hotel West Of The Mississippi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My wife and I were graced with The Huntley Hotel only a few days ago. Los Angeles to me is always being out of my norm. I've lived my whole life in New York Cities premier Upper East Side, and I never thought a boutique hotel could almost capture the raw emotion and luxury that was I've been use to. After reading some of these reviews people have left, it almost pysched me out, with how negative and quite distorted these "so called well traveled" people made the Huntley out to be. First off the architecture of the building itself is breath taking. The entrance way into the Huntley has the feel like I'm walking into a gorgeous building off Park ave, a great view of their non-stop to the Restaurant and Bar, fully glass elevator. Once inside this gem, your eyes catch the style and utter chicness of its Stingray front desk, or its White Piranha covered wall. I approached the front desk, only to find friendly yet professional front desk agents. I've read a few reviews where people have knocked their front desk for not kissing their.... um.... yeah... enough. Have you people never stayed in a Luxury Hotel? Are you new to this? Hotels of this caliber are supposed to have a demeanor of professionalism. The front desk was exceptional, they were quick, friendly and straight to the point, just how I like them. Leaving the elevator we were thrust into an amazing dark wood, low lit hallway with silver coral coming from different areas of the walls. I loved it, the design was amazing and quite tasteful. I hate tacky white walls and bright lights in hallways almost as much as Bloomberg. We arrived in our room, and found it to be quite spacious, great furniture, comfortable with great sheets king bed, a large plasma screen, and a mini-bar stocked with some of my favorite liquors. I dined at the Penthouse, their restaurant, and can only hope that one day their Chef will open a location in the City. The view was spectacular from the Penthouse and had a bar scene that was Hollywood chic without the exorbitant attitude. We rented a car, 30 dollars a day I believe thats what we payed, not bad at all, apparentley no one on Tripadvisor has ever had a car in NYC, if your complaining about 30 dollars, dont bother coming to New York! Kudos Huntley Hotel, I now know where I am staying next time!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
los angeles, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Parking is $30/day and you have to use the valet; therefore it is a pain to get your car in and out. To top it off, the valet is so rude. Street parking is impossible to find to make using your car more convenient (and cost effective). The people at reception are very rude and unaccommodating. I can honestly say I never saw the staff smile once. The walls of the rooms are very thin and you can hear everything - talking in the halls, housekeeping trolling around, and cars being parked 10 floors below.

The positive point is that there is a little coffee shop in the lobby to grab a cup of coffee and a snack. The price is reasonable in a relative sense... I mean, I assumed they would charge $10 for coffee, but they only charge like $3 for plain coffee.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Our friends were married this past weekend and they set aside a number of rooms at the Huntley for their out of town guests, which numbered many. We were looking forward to staying there after viewing the website. We were sorely disappointed. Other than the bell hop (who was fantastic!) the service was lousy. When we checked in they made a big deal that they were giving us a room with an ocean view (which we had reserved anyway) but neglected to tell us we were directly below the night club on the top floor! When we got back to our hotel room at 1 AM after the wedding, we couldn't even talk to each other much less sleep given all of the noise. When I called the front desk, they basically blew me off and said they would take care of it in the morning. I assumed the room would be taken care of but I was wrong. I had to call back and ask for them to change our room. We had to pack up our stuff and move at 1:30 in the morning! When I further complained the next day, they refused to comp the room and basically thought we should be satisfied with $100 off and a free upgrade the next time we stay there. I will never stay there again! There are so many other places to stay that there is no need to stay here. No pool, no spa, no real amenities. In the second room, the air vent was filthy, the bathroom door hung askew, and it looked as if the air conditioner was going to fall out of the ceiling. Long story short - stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

The Huntley seemed like an old two star hotel that had granite counters slapped on it and was renamed a "boutique" hotel. The front desk staff was cold and had the attitude of "I am an aspiring actress/photographer/whatever and I am much to cool to help you." In contrast, the house staff was very friendly and efficient. The rooms were decent sized, with the bathrooms being a little small. The walls seemed to have little of no insulation because I could hear my neighbors shower, walk, etc. constantly. The saving grace was the location, which is good. I would like to visit Santa Monica again, but would not choose to stay at the Huntley.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

Wow...I worked in hospitality and I have never experienced worse customer service. I think the only decent interactions I had was with the bellman. Other than that, the front desk staff was appalling. COMPLETE lack of professionalism - even when dealing with the general manager regarding my complaints with the room and service. The hallways are dark and drab - decent room, except for the chair with a nasty stain on it...ewww! Tiny, tiny bathroom & bad towels - my pet peeve.

Don't waste your money here. It is in a good location and that is about it. Oh! The icing on the cake was this frantic woman in the hotel lobby one night when I was leaving to go to dinner...there was a frantic woman yelling that someone had broken into her room and stole a great amount of valuables. The staff was not even giving her the time of day.

I would highly encourage you to book elsewhere...there are plenty of nice place in Santa Monica that actually care about their guests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

Great hotel and location, but nothing out of the ordinary. Good service and rooms.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
doncaster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

dreary unwelcoming entrance
corridoors are dark brown and drab
rooms small
no tea/coffee machine in rooms
parking very expensive at 30dollars per night when next door public
car park much cheper
desk staff sneered at us when we asked questions
not welcoming - never again
also very expensive

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Huntley Santa Monica Beach? Share your experiences!