“Excellent Location; Clean; Spacious; Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Huntley Santa Monica Beach

You added Huntley Santa Monica Beach to your Saves list
Huntley Santa Monica Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 Second Street, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly The Huntley Hotel) (Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Location; Clean; Spacious; Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm what you'd consider a frequent traveller all around the world and Huntley Santa Monica Beach was a very good Hotel to stay the 2 nights 23 December 2012, checking out Christmas Day, coming from Sydney, just to get over jetlag. Huntley is very clean, spacious, very comfortable, excellent air conditioning/ heater controls, fantastic TV, pillows, bed and beautiful hotel foyer & it's aroma. Location is fantastic! Few minutes or 2 blocks to the Beach and Santa Monica Pier. Only 2 unpleasant comments: Shower very noisy within the rectangular cubicle, however the massage setting is beautiful. 2nd: Parking hired car is US$30 per night, too expensive! In fact, majority of Hotels in USA charge for parking hired vehicle and it's the only turn off for visiting USA.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear TheRealBossLady,

It was a priviledge to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please rest assured that we have one of the lowest parking rates in Santa Monica as most hotels in the area are $38 and up for overnight parking. We look very forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Large hotel that was very nice and clean common areas and rooms. It is located on a quiet street. Walking distance to downtown area and beach. We stayed in a room with partial ocean view which was very nice. Staff was very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear linadal1,

It was a pleasure to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Ahh the Huntley. It's a great spot to go for a drink on a weekend, but staying there is a bit different. you can definitely tell that it was an older hotel that they revamped into a fun, boutique hotel. How can you tell? Though the lobby and hallways are beautiful, there are lots of details in the rooms that hint to a much older property: old doors, maybe the oldest blinds I've ever seen, a few old fixtures, and walls that are far from sound proof. Even with these issues, it's still a great hotel.

My biggest gripe is the "Ocean View" room that we booked. It was only $20 more, so I thought "what the heck!"..ocean views are always worth it, right? Maybe not. this one is only in the bathroom. The way the hotel is laid out, the ocean views are on the narrow end of the building, and the only windows facing the ocean are in the bathroom. Makes for one hell of a shower, but when you wake up in the morning, you're still just looking at a wall.

Additionally, the hotel is pretty loud. As I said, the doors are old, and don't fit well, so you hear everything that happens in the hallway. And since the hotel has a pretty active bar, people are loud, up late, and drunk. And the (old) doors slam, so put all that together and you get a pretty loud night sleep. I had earplugs and it was still loud. I like to sleep in hotels, so I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Plusses:
Great location
Cool style
Spacious rooms

Negatives:
Loud
Parking is impossible and valet is $$
Party Hotel
Some old features
Watched a couple complain that a bunch of presents in their room had disappeared..so be careful.

Dear sarahktsl,

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Our building faces North and South, so the rooms do have a North-West view or a South-West view of the ocean and not a direct West view. We are sharing your comments with our Management as we rely on valued guest comments to continue to improve. We hope you will consider the Huntley Santa Monica Beach again the next time you are visiting Santa Monica.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The first time we went to The Huntley (and reviewed it) we truly enjoyed the hotel. We mostly appreciated the location and service.

This time, we had a one night stop on our way back (long drive) and badly wanted to return there for a good rest before hitting the road again.

At check in, we've mentioned to the blonde lady checking us that we were returning there.
She couldn't care less. Actually, she didn't seem to care much about anything as long as it was related to her job.
First impression : Bad.

When we arrived to the room, the keys didn't work.
I went back to the front desk and asked for some new keys. No apologize or anything.
They gave me some new keys. I went back to the room. It worked.

Our city view room had an extraordinary view over a ... parking lot. And, oh surprise, 2 queens beds while we reserved a king size bed.

I called the rather courteous front desk (just kidding) and asked for King size bed room.
And then (no kidding) they told me : "we're very busy, we can arrange you that but you're gonna lose the view".
What did they expect me to say ? "Oh sure, I can sleep away from wife, as long as I can have the parking lot view".

Ofcourse, i asked for a king size room. I was then asked to wait in my room till someone comes up with the new key.

5 mins later we had the key and where sent two floors below to the second floor.

Yes. It had a king size bed. Infact, it was all oversized since it was a handicapped room with those lovely plastic curtains in the bathroom, and global low end "hospital feel".
Best of all, the insanely disturbing pizza/burger smell in the room. It was so unbearable that we opened the window and left the room.

I could tell you many more thing about their crowded penthouse bar with less than average but still pricy cocktails, people sitting the chairs but not drinking or doing anything (yes, makes the place look "busy" and "trendy"). Very disgracious barman by the way.
We left and walked toward the very close 3rd street just to find out that the entire area is now packed with tons of homeless people.
I don't blame people for being homeless. It is just that we can hardly have good time when surrounded by desperate people.

So far, we decided to avoid the place. Sometimes, if you're lucky you may have a good time at a given hotel/resort.

But the real difference with quality hotel/resort and those trying to look like is that you may return anytime : the real pros won't disappoint you.

By the way, when we checked out, the same person was there, at the front desk. No asking how good our stay was or if the new room was ok.
I gave my parking ticket to to the valet, willing to move away from that burger smelling place.
3 minutes later, I went back to the valet. He greets me again like he hasn't seen me before (He simply forgot he had a car to bring me back).

To the very last minute, the guys messed up everything.
Last impression : Bad

Try the Huntley if you get a bargain *and* feel lucky.

Room Tip: City view might mean : parking lot view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear FRTravellers,

Thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We are sharing your comments with the Management and Front Office Staff. We hope you will give us another opportunity and consider the Huntley Santa Monica Beach again the next time you are visiting Santa Monica.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We are a family of four, stayed at Huntley for 10 nights and felt right at home. The room was spacious enough the staff were very friendly and tried hard to make you feel comfortable. We definitely recommend Huntley for any type of stay at Santa Monica. Location is fantastic and try the Penthouse( rooftop restaurant) it's a MUST!!! Thank you Huntley for making our first visit to LA unforgettable x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Nazi D,

On behalf of the Management and Staff, it was a pleasure to serve you. We are delighted to hear that had such an enjoyable experience and look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A former Santa Monica resident, I remember the old "Toppers" restaurant, prior to the makeover, so my wife and I decided to try a night here recently. The interior design is well done - modern, a bit electic, but comfortable. The service - from the front desk to valets to bellhops - was wonderful: cheery, upbeat folks. But because of the next-door Fairmont Hotels location between the ocean and the Huntley, most rooms have ocean views only from the sides. Our first room, however, had a spectacular ocean view - from the bathroom! Opportunity lost. But after we complained about renovation noise 2 floors above, we were quickly and effortlessly relocated to a larger room, at no charge. Then we walked the 1/2 block to the 3rd Street Promenade and shopped all afternoon! The location is fantastic, the rooms are clean and nice, but I wish the ocean views had been figured out. We will stay here again, however.

Room Tip: Stay on highest floor possible - better views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear FrenchRoastFan,

It was a priviledge to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again soon!
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the Huntley just one night after my husband's holiday party. The registration process was speedy and the desk clerk told us she was giving us " one of her favorite rooms"...1702. Well, the room was lovely.The best ocean view was from our bathroom window. Everything was nice and clean. We immediately noticed that we could hear the sound of heels walking rapidly on the floor above us, but we didn't think too much of it because we needed to get ready for our holiday party.

I returned to the room about 1030pm. I immediately knew that we were underneath a bar because I could hear loud music and stampeding feel directly above the bed. It was insane! I am sure I could have caused a stink and switched rooms, but I was in no mood to pack up all of our belongings and move rooms at that hour! The noise continued until 2am when The Penthouse closed.

We were given a discounted room rate on this Saturday night stay because our group had made arrangements to reserve a block of rooms. Will I ever consider staying at the Huntley again? Maybe...BUT certainly NOT on the 17th floor under The Penthouse Rooftop Restaurant.

We enjoyed a lovely breakfast at the Penthouse before checking out. The views are fantastic.

Room Tip: ASK to stay anywhere BUT on the 17th floor under the Penthouse!
Dear mombinni,

It was a pleasure serving you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as comfortable as expected. We assure you that your next stay will be much more quiet and hope you will return again soon!

Been to Huntley Santa Monica Beach? Share your experiences!