“Overpriced, cramped, very little value for the money!” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Additional 10% OFF!
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Kew Gardens, NY
“Overpriced, cramped, very little value for the money!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here last month during a 10-day trip to California. Since my husband wanted to stay in Santa Monica and hotels there are expensive and this hotel was recommended to him, we booked this place. I was not overly impressed with the reviews on trip advisor, but cheaper properties were booked for our dates and the others were just too much for our budget. We paid $271 for a courtyard queen room, plus tax and $15 per day for parking.

When we arrived, the room we were given was on the second floor and extremely small. After about a half hour in that room, I called reception and simply said that the room was very small. We were immediately offered another room. If we liked it, they would move us. I appreciated their prompt response -- the other room was on the ground floor and somewhat larger, so we took it.

Although somewhat larger than the first room, the bed basically took up the entire space. The mattress was like a soft hill and we were sleeping on the slopes. My back and neck were killing me. The second day in the room, housekeeping did not clean until after six in the evening. Soap, shampoo, etc. were never replenished during our three-night stay.

The parking lot is very tight. One evening we returned from dinner about 9:30 and there were no spaces, so we parked in the short driveway in front and informed the man at the front desk.

The first person we spoke to who offered us the new room was nice and helpful, but that is about the best I can say about this place. The location is good -- close to Main Street and the beach. I know they have better rooms, but for over $300 a night, I expected a lot more. By the second night, I was really looking forward to our next stop -- Santa Barbara, where we stayed at Las Brisas del Mar -- where we got so much more for less money.

Attached to our receipt was a business card inviting us to post our comments on tripadvisor, which I found very amusing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Came back to the Bayside again for the third time! Love that it's a smaller hotel, basic facilities, close to everything you want and need in Santa Monica! The staff are helpful and the rooms are simple and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Located near the beach, 1 minute walk and near a shop selling many different kinds of beers. Good coffee bar near.The rooms have very noisy air condition so it is something you turn off during the night. There is also cockroaches. The bed is soft so beware if you have bag problems. Each room has places to sit outside so great place for relaxing

• Stayed September 2012
rhode island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The location of this hotel, and the price, for the location, were fabulous. The rooms are relatively small, but adequate and very clean. The bedding was incredibly soft and comfortable. The hotel was quiet and for the most part the staff was helpful and courteous. Santa Monica beach is right across the street, and there is a great coffee shop/breakfast & lunch place just behind it, on Main St, called Dog Town Cafe.... it became our home away from home because of the following:

We stayed for two nights while on a quick visit to obtain housing for my daughter starting college here... We were happy to have "free wifi", and planned on using it extensively while there. BIG bummer that their wifi was not working, but bigger still, they seemed to have no plans on fixing it. The first night, I called the front desk and was told they were going to "get back to me", but they didn't. It didn't work the next day, and they told me it was being fixed. Later that day, another person told me that they were not planning on fixing it...After nearly wearing out our welcome at the dog town cafe, we both obtained library cards, in order to use the internet at the local library! Sure wished we were in our hotel rooms, or in the nice garden area of the hotel.... When I complained the next morning, I also mentioned that I am a reviewer for tripadvisor, and they gave me a $40 discount on each night. That was kind of them, and they also were a lot nicer to me that morning :)) I am grateful that they made that concession, but sure wish that we had not had to run all over town to use the internet. In the end, we did not secure housing for my daughter, though we learned a lot... we could have been much more efficient had we had the use of internet in our room!!!
Since most folks would stay here for a true vacation, not for work, then I'd recommend it as a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the beach have little tables on the porch in front, they seem nice, but the ones...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

trip advisor is a dangerous way to pay beware

the hotel was not helpful in resolving this after many attempts and emails.

trip advisor has not reached out to me after so many calls in to credit my account back from the 1st week of july be careful as i don't trust trip advisor as i do the other sites

overpriced

Karen Nikles

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights in late June and were very pleased with the hotel. Hotel is in a great location and within walking distance to the beach, pier, and shopping areas. The bed was comfortable, had a nice TV with cable, and there was air conditioning. It was somewhat no-frills, but to be expected with the rates. We would definitely stay there again. Only downsides we could think of were the limited available parking, and the room was somewhat small. We reserved a parking spot prior to check-in, since we arrived there late the first night, and it held us a spot.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We enjoyed our stay. For what we paid had expected a hotel more modern but had everything we required for a comfortable stay. Highrise hotels a short walk from our hotel were only a few dollars more expensive but maybe didn't have the views. Conveniently hired bikes from the office to ride to Venice Beach. Overall a great stay in San Diego.

Room Tip: Comfortable bed, free WiF. We requested views of the ocean which were great. Could imagine in bus...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bayside Hotel? Share your experiences!