“Good price in a great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bayside Hotel

You added Bayside Hotel to your Saves list
Bayside Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2001 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90405 (Santa Monica)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Los Angeles, California
“Good price in a great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed in Santa Monica for a few days. I was alone so I was looking for a decent price. Luckily I found the Bayside Hotel. This is not a 5 star hotel but it has nice accomadations for a good price. You can see the beach from the front and you are near premium hotels like Casa Del Mar, Shutters and the Viceroy. You are also walking distance to Main St. The staff is very helpful and parking wasn't too bad, granted it was the winter season. I would recommend staying here if your looking for a good hotel without many frills.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The good: This hotel has a great location, close to the beach. Some of the rooms actually have a view of the beach. It is a 10 minute walk to the Santa Monica Pier and a 15 minute walk to Venice Beach. The people at the front desk were always available, helpful, and courteous. Our room (#107) was clean. The beds were very comfy with plenty of pillows and we had a large flat screen TV. Our shower was updated, free of mold, and had plenty of hot water. There is assigned parking on-site.

The bad: Our room was in need of some updating. The walls/floors are a tad thin. It could present an issue if the neighbors get rowdy. A major thoroughfare is a street away. There was some street noise but not terrible. There is a fee for on-site parking ($12/day).

I would have given this hotel 2 stars had it not been for the beds and shower. 3 stars means it met my expectations. (Note: I stay a lot at Comfort Inns so this is my comparison standard). I think it's a bit overpriced value-wise. Advice: swallow hard, pay extra to be on the beach and not have to worry about parking, stay on the top floor, bring earplugs, spend lots of time out and about. Don't eat at the restaurant at the ocean end of SM Pier. Do eat at Cha-Cha Chicken a block away from the hotel. Great Caribbean fare.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Excellent service, accomodating, clean and retro chic! Fantastic location at gorgeous beach close to great restaurants! Staff gave us a great rate and late check out! You won't be disappointed in this 5 star gem.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
RBargas, General Manager at Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Guest : I'm pleased to read that you picked the Bayside for your recent stay in Santa Monica and that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the nice comments about the staff. We look forward to having you back soon in the near future.

Robert Bargas
CENTRAL VALLEY CALIFORNIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stay here to visit family in Santa Monica. The rooms are extremely clean and I live the ocean view rooms. You can walk to the pier easily. Within walking distance of both 3rd street and Venice although they also rent bikes. Management is very nice and helpful

• Stayed December 2011
RBargas, General Manager at Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
Dear Guest - thank you for visiting Santa Monica and staying with us at Bayside. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the ocean view room and the great area around the hotel. We look forward to having you return in the near future, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to assist with arrangements when you are ready to return.
Happy New Year
Robert Bargas
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I'm been several years ago in tour from San Francisco..with my wife !! we've spend three days here just to go in the beach a couple of days before to fly again in Italy. we've found this place as was end of August, durign the weekend and all the hotels in Sm was full !!
so the last oportunity was this place for 100 usd per night !!! the room was the ground level, in the small calle street in front of the near hotel very high !!! the man show us another room and after give me the key of another one !!! So we've discovered that was dirthy ,we've claim but he have not change us the room !!! So we accept to stay two night here. the problem here was the people of the room in the first floor, drinking and making noise all the night !! young people students... to anything served our complaints to the night front desk man, because sleeping !! i remember that the tissue chair in the room was so dirthy that we've never used !! the beds was not confortable we've just sleep for two nights and go away.. great the private parking on the back of the Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I was staying one night in Santa Monica at the start of a week-long business trip so I wanted somewhere very close to the beach, but also within easy reach of the shops and restaurants on 3rd street and not too expensive. A search brought me to The Bayside Hotel - and it worked out extremely well.
It's another of the, seemingly popular, 'boutique motels' but it works well. Service on check-in was great and I was 'upgraded' from a courtyard-view to an ocean-view room. Nice.
The room was very good - spacious, light and clean. I (unexpectedly) had a kitchen/diner as well as the bedroom so it was more like a mini-suite. The bathroom was clean and pleasant too and I had a table on the veranda outside the room.
But the killer about this place is the location - maybe 200m max from the beach. It was fantastic - a quick walk across the road and I was on the beach, right next to a couple of the big, super-expensive hotels (so yes, it's a good bit of beach!). A brilliant, brilliant place to be - and maybe 15 minutes walk from 3rd Street too, so quiet enough but close enough if you want to go out for dinner or shopping.
As with anywhere in this area, there are a few homeless guys around, but it felt safe and the combination of location, price and style make it a winner for me.
A place I'll definitely come back to.

Room Tip: My ocean view room was great - including a kitchen/diner. It basically opens onto the street, but it...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

This one looks more like a motel, but it is clean, the rooms are big enough, relatively affordable and extremely well located in beautiful Santa Monica. 200 meters from the beach and a 10 minutes stroll to the pier and the promenade. I really enjoyed the surroundings: the ocean breeze, the people on the beach, the evening walk to the shops, restaurants and cinemas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front, with view on the ocean!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Bayside Hotel? Share your experiences!