“Delightful Vintage Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Harvard, Illinois
“Delightful Vintage Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I just got back from a stay at the Georgian Hotel and could not be more pleased with my choice of hotel in Santa Monica. It is perfectly situated atop the Pacific Palisades with an amazing view of the ocean and the Santa Monica Pier.

This vintage hotel has a lot of character and I kept thinking, ‘if these walls could talk’. The Speakeasy is still intact and used for special events – Al Capone is said to have conducted business here. There are suites named after Clark Gable and Carole Lombard as they were just 2 of the hotels famous patrons. The elevators are solid mahogany, quite small (by today’s standards), very slow, they creak a little and depending on which one you’re in, you won’t even know what floor you are on until it stops. But that my friends, is part of the charm of The Georgian.

I opted for an Ocean View room, and mine was located on the 8th floor. I would suggest springing for one of these rooms if you can. I had read reviews that the rooms were small. I suppose they are a bit small, but no less so than a room you would find in New York City or other large cities. I found my room to be quite adequate and the furnishings just fine. I would like to not have a refrigerator that has those “spring loaded” items so you could remove what is already there, and put your own item in, then replace the hotel’s offerings. I was told that if I wanted one, they could provide a refrigerator upon request. I don’t know if there was a charge as I didn’t ask.

The windows open in the room which is always a plus. There was also a ceiling fan over the bed as well as an individual thermostat in the room. I found the room to be very comfortable in terms of temperature.

I also read reviews complaining of the street noise. I never understand why people make complaints like this. If you are staying in a hotel, that is facing a street, there is going to be some street noise! Common sense people! Stay somewhere else if that is a problem for you, don’t give a bad review of the hotel because of that. I found that if I closed my window, I could barely hear any outside noise.

Someone mentioned that they did not provide complimentary shampoo, hair conditioner, hand cream, and shower gel, but rather there were large bottles placed in the shower/bath and on the bathroom sink. True. So if you don’t want to use what is provided in these large pump style bottles? Bring your own. As far as bar soap, there was a bar provided for use at the sink. Again, if you want soap for the shower/tub, I would suggest bringing your own. Although, I have a feeling if you requested an additional bar, you would be provided with one. There were more than enough towels provided, lighting was adequate, and the water pressure was adequate as well.

The Veranda is quite a nice spot to sit and people watch, or have a drink and/or eat. I only ate there once, having their cheeseburger which was very good. The Veranda always seemed to be crowded, so I am guessing that the rest of the food is good as well.

As I said, the location is fantastic – overlooking the ocean and Santa Monica Pier. The Pier is 1 block away. The sunsets are breathtaking. The Palisades Ocean Walk across the street that extends I believe, for 3 miles is also very nice. The 3rd Street Promenade is 2 blocks away with all the shopping and eating venues that you can want. There are also several restaurants located all around the hotel. The public bus system is only $1.00 and you can catch several different lines right near the hotel. You can go to Los Angeles, Malibu, Venice to name a few, all for $1.00 each way. Not bad!

I must give a shout out to Melinda and Edwin on the hotel staff. They were so pleasant, friendly and always had a smile and a warm greeting every time I saw them. Or were willing to chat a bit, time willing. Everyone was very nice, but they stood out.

The only negative thing, and this is not a fault or comment against the hotel, is that the homeless are in the park across the street (aka the Palisades) and pretty much everywhere around the hotel. This is a problem in every city unfortunately, and certainly is no fault of the hotel. I simply point it out so that if it is something that bothers you, you are aware of it ahead of time.

If I were to return to Santa Monica, I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Spring for an Ocean View Room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights - beautiful looking hotel and amazing location!! The beach and pier are literally a couple of minutes walk across from the hotel. Had a lovely large room with two queen beds in it and out of the window we could see the beach lined with palm trees. The staff were all really friendly and helpful. It is a fairly old hotel so some updates could be made however it is lovely art deco in style and i found it all rather charming. The veranda is lovely and the cocktails are delicious - perfect way to relax in an evening.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manalapan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I live on the east coast and I had planned a California trip with my husband, sister and brother-in-law. I did research on line and had decided to find a hotel in Santa Monica since it appeared to be in the center of where it was all happening. I picked "The Georgian", I'm so glad I did. I absolutely loved the location. I dont think there could be a better location than that. It had a beautiful porch where we had breakfast 2 of the mornings that we were there. It was a bit cool in the morning but they had heaters on overhead. Directly across the street was the beach and the Pier. So many restaurants to choose from. At the end of the pier was a mexican restaurant which we wanted to eat at but they closed early around 9. Around the corner was a shopping area called the 3rd street promenade. There was plenty of restaurants, bars, cafes and people (performers) in the street singing and dancing. I felt like I was in New York. It gave me a good feeling. Alot going on, Next door to the Georgian was a fish restaurant where we ate a delicious filet mignon. Overall, I would definitely return to this hotel. The only lousy thing was the parking. We parked next door at a garage that charged 20 for the night. Although you really dont have to rent a car. They have buses going up and down Ocean Avenue. The room was clean. I loved the bathroom. When I put the light on in it I was surprised to see the decor the way it was. I would highly recommend it. I wish I was there now. The weather was perfect no humidity.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Donnaboo27,

We too wish you were here now! Your description of our city and hotel, sound as though you are one of our Santa Monica Ambassadors. We do hope that you will return, it would be our pleasure.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I decided to try this historic hotel on a recent visit to Santa Monica and I am so glad that I did! They have maintained all the old charm, while making it plenty new enough! Everything was great, especially the staff! Be sure to check out the original elevator (still in use!) and the peep holes in your room door are one of a kinds!!

Room Tip: Mine faced the back of the property...spend the extra and face the ocean!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear illyman,

As we have kept up with the changing times, there are certain things that we just would not change. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed some of the "original" touches that make The Georgian one of a kind.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate the tip in your review!

Warm Regards,

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked into this hotel to end our trip from Chicago to LA along Route 66. For those completing the trip this is the must stay at hotel, as it is possibly the only hotel standing from the era of Route 66, and is adjacent to a memorial marker for the end of the route.
The hotel is of traditional boutique style, and has a great veranda on which you can have your meals or just a relaxing drink whilst watching the populace of LA, LA Land pass by. The staff were excellent and met our every need with a smile and a kind word.
The only problem we had was on our second night, at around midnight, we were disturbed by other residents in an adjacent room. They were not overly noisy, but the sound carried dreadfully. This went on for about an hour before I called the reception and told them that this was a problem that they certainly would be aware of. Within minutes we heard a knock, and all went quiet.
Noise insulation seems to be a bit of a problem, but if you suffer this the staff WILL deal with it.
I would strongly recommend this hotel, and would stay again if visiting SM, despite the noise issue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear trottersontour,

Route 66 and The Georgian, kind of go hand in hand. Thank you for finishing the trail with us. Nicknamed, "The First Lady of Santa Monica", we are celebrating her 80th Birthday this year.

It is our pleasure to serve and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, regardless of "the noise". We hope you will return.

Kind Regards,

lancaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Georgian is undoubtedly a splendid hotel. The highlights and low lights for us were as follows:
Pros:
On arrival, two bell men rushed to our taxi to see if we were checking in and immediately helped with our bags. On check-in, there was very friendly and knowledgeable personnel. Some reception and bell staff always said 'Welcome back' when we returned to the hotel each day, this was a very nice touch. There is no fridge in the room, however, when questioned one was brought to us quickly at no charge. The suite was amazingly comfortable, large bathroom, larger lounge and huge bed. Breakfast was nice enough, however, not to all tastes (we are from overseas after all), The Monte Cristo (lightly battered ham toastie) really didn't hit the spot, too much soggy bread and not enough ham, complete waste of money.
Cons:
We really did miss not having some sort of outdoor relaxation area (pool, jaccuzzi or guest only terrace). It was labor weekend and Santa Monica was heaving to the point of uncomfortable, fire engines on the Pier and people exiting the pier in droves. If it were feasible, I would suggest a rooftop area which only guests could enjoy and put a jaccuzzi in, that would serve much more purpose than the gym, which I never saw anyone use - the clientele is not particularly of that ilk and besides plenty exercise along the prom in Santa Monica, if they are serious about keeping fit. After a long day, we returned to the hotel, looking forward to enjoying a quiet drink on the front veranda terrace, it was 10.10pm, the waitress said they stopped serving at 10pm and we should use our minibar in our room. I did not want to be told to go to my room like a naughty child, I thought our hotel was there to enjoy, the night was still young and the rest of Santa Monica was lively. I was disgusted that there was no drinks facility for guests, I'm on holiday, why would I want to go to bed early, just so I could enjoy a drink? 10pm is way too early to stop serving drinks to hotel guests downstairs. We were there for 6 nights, on the fourth evening, I got in a bath only to realise our bath mat had disappeared. I was very disappointed at this, firstly because of the health and safety issue and secondly, why on earth would the maid remove the bath mat, had I done something to annoy her, it does make you wonder! I did have to also leave the maid a polite note each day, to leave the right kind of tea and extra sugar (which were not replenished automatically), I had no need for GREEN tea, it was a little annoying to have to leave a new note each day, otherwise I was subject to having to trapse to reception to swap it, as extras were $2 each, again a little steep I thought. The little things mean a lot and in some areas The Georgian really cut it and in others, I can see room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a lovely boutique hotel located close to the beach, pier and downtown. We would of had a great sunset except it was cloudy. We could walk all along the beach, the pier and 5 minutes from downtown shopping. the breakfast was wonderful and we could sit outside even in november. I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Georgian Hotel? Share your experiences!