“Charming hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Charming hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I just stayed at the Georgian last weekend for one night and was very pleased with my experience. The hotel was built in 1933, I think, and it is very charming. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the location couldn't be better. We had a bit of a view of the ocean and pier, and we could walk to the beach, pier, and 3rd street promenade. So happy to not have to walk at all during our stay! The room was pretty big for an older hotel, and very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel. Oh, and our room was on the 5th floor and it was very quiet.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Wagga Wagga, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel was lovely. It is situated straight across the road from the Santa Monica Pier and close to all the buss tours and shopping that Santa Monica has to offer. Wonderful location!

However, not a family friendly hotel. There was no swimming pool or self serve laundry. I found that the service in the dinning room was quite slow and we were left standing for ages before being offered a table. After the service in the dining room wasnt great, I decided not to leave a tip but was still chanced down by the waiter and made to give one.

Our room was next to the fire escape which proved to be a bit noisy when the staff were going up and down the stairs.

I must say the front desk staff were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: If you are with children, dont consider this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed a night at the Georgian Hotel and were really happy we chose to stay here. The hotel is perfectly located on the main street above Santa Monica beach so was close to the Santa Monica pier and walking distance to Venice Beach. This is an old hotel - but it has been well maintained - so you get the historic charm aswell as a great night sleep. The room was on the smallish side, but stylishly decorated and was more comfortable than a lot of places we've stayed. The bed was really comfortable, shower pressure good and it had all the normal amenities you'd expect. There is also a nice little restaurant on the front verandah where we enjoyed the sunset and a good breakfast. Probably the best part of this hotel was the staff. From check in to check out all staff were friendly, welcoming and very helpful. My only regret is we stayed there one night only - I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to others.

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay for an extended (2 week) period of time at the Georgian, and I loved every minute! This charming hotel was everything I expected and more. From the friendliness of the staff, to the unbeatable location, I found myself wishing my business trip would continue for a few more days.

I spent every morning before my work day began down in the hotel's restaurant for a great breakfast, usually the homemade granola and fresh roasted coffee (both of which were delicious!). Placido was usually my waiter, and he rocked! I typically didn't even have to order, he would just bring my coffee and ask me if I wanted the granola again with fresh fruit...Yes please!

After breakfast, Carlos, one of the valet's, would have my car waiting out front without me ever having to say a word, now that's SERVICE! The front desk staff were just as efficient, Tony on the night shift, and Maria in the afternoon were outstanding! And last but certainly not least was Laura in reservations. Laura was able to secure me an unparalleled Military rate. Without her assistance, there's no way I would have been able to stay at this gem of a hotel. Thanks Laura!!!

I mentioned before the unbeatable location, well let me tell you exactly how good it is...Walk out the hotel to the right, and a half block away is Sushi Roku. I spent multiple nights there, great sushi. A five minute walk will take you to the heart of the 3rd Street Promenade with all the shops and restaurants that you can handle. My evenings always began with a run down to the beach and along the Santa Monica Beach Trail, this was a close to heaven as it comes folks!!!

As you can see, I highly recommend this hotel. I will be coming back to Santa Monica in December and can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator. It can be a bit noisy if you're next it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

As has recently been said, this is an OK hotel, in a really great location but is very overpriced.

Some would say it is nostalgic, reminding us of a different time, it could equally be said that it is stuck in the past and needs updating.

Very clean but smallish room, with big but very soft bed and equally small bathroom. Nice breakfast served by friendly staff. Slightly surly greeting from reception on checking in.

I left with the overwhelming view that I could have got much better for the price we paid.

Weliington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Space in a hotel room is really important to our family and The Georgian Hotel in Santa Monica was FANTASTIC. A HUGE suite - a really large separate bedroom for the parents and a fold out couch for Mr 12 in the living room but he could have also slept on the huge daybed in the living room. Twice daily maid service. The hotel is right on Ocean Ave - opposite the beach and around the corner (3 minute walk) to the 3rd street promenade – heaps of eating options, street entertainment and shopping there. Highly recommend this place. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our first stay in LA and first time at an old, expensive hotel. My wife and I were guests of our nephew, who invited us and his mom to visit and see his "new-to-him" home. His mom stayed with him. We were excited to stay at the much touted Georgian Hotel as we had never stayed at an expensive and old hotel. We knew going in that LA is an expensive area. However, we were absolutely stunned when we saw the expense of the final bill - never would have guessed the room rate was more than $150/night (Nephew made the reservations and paid the bill). We have stayed in much newer hotels for $100/night and were more satisfied. The hotel location is really good, as has been noted in other reviews, however, we are not used to valet parking and glad we went everywhere with our nephew in his car. The room was clean, no complaint, but there was very limited lighting in the room - fine during the day, bad at night. AND, be VERY careful to NOT touch or move any of the items located in or on the "mini-bar/fridge" area. All have sensors and you will be charged for just moving them, even accidentally. Food was very expensive, but good and the service was usually attentive. All-in-all, it was an enjoyable "once-in-a-lifetime" experience, thanks to our nephew. We will stay at a less expensive location next time, since we will probably be paying for it. We prefer personal comfort, not "old" ambience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Georgian Hotel? Share your experiences!