“Great hotel with friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Australia
“Great hotel with friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed a night at the Georgian Hotel and were really happy we chose to stay here. The hotel is perfectly located on the main street above Santa Monica beach so was close to the Santa Monica pier and walking distance to Venice Beach. This is an old hotel - but it has been well maintained - so you get the historic charm aswell as a great night sleep. The room was on the smallish side, but stylishly decorated and was more comfortable than a lot of places we've stayed. The bed was really comfortable, shower pressure good and it had all the normal amenities you'd expect. There is also a nice little restaurant on the front verandah where we enjoyed the sunset and a good breakfast. Probably the best part of this hotel was the staff. From check in to check out all staff were friendly, welcoming and very helpful. My only regret is we stayed there one night only - I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay for an extended (2 week) period of time at the Georgian, and I loved every minute! This charming hotel was everything I expected and more. From the friendliness of the staff, to the unbeatable location, I found myself wishing my business trip would continue for a few more days.

I spent every morning before my work day began down in the hotel's restaurant for a great breakfast, usually the homemade granola and fresh roasted coffee (both of which were delicious!). Placido was usually my waiter, and he rocked! I typically didn't even have to order, he would just bring my coffee and ask me if I wanted the granola again with fresh fruit...Yes please!

After breakfast, Carlos, one of the valet's, would have my car waiting out front without me ever having to say a word, now that's SERVICE! The front desk staff were just as efficient, Tony on the night shift, and Maria in the afternoon were outstanding! And last but certainly not least was Laura in reservations. Laura was able to secure me an unparalleled Military rate. Without her assistance, there's no way I would have been able to stay at this gem of a hotel. Thanks Laura!!!

I mentioned before the unbeatable location, well let me tell you exactly how good it is...Walk out the hotel to the right, and a half block away is Sushi Roku. I spent multiple nights there, great sushi. A five minute walk will take you to the heart of the 3rd Street Promenade with all the shops and restaurants that you can handle. My evenings always began with a run down to the beach and along the Santa Monica Beach Trail, this was a close to heaven as it comes folks!!!

As you can see, I highly recommend this hotel. I will be coming back to Santa Monica in December and can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator. It can be a bit noisy if you're next it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

As has recently been said, this is an OK hotel, in a really great location but is very overpriced.

Some would say it is nostalgic, reminding us of a different time, it could equally be said that it is stuck in the past and needs updating.

Very clean but smallish room, with big but very soft bed and equally small bathroom. Nice breakfast served by friendly staff. Slightly surly greeting from reception on checking in.

I left with the overwhelming view that I could have got much better for the price we paid.

Weliington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Space in a hotel room is really important to our family and The Georgian Hotel in Santa Monica was FANTASTIC. A HUGE suite - a really large separate bedroom for the parents and a fold out couch for Mr 12 in the living room but he could have also slept on the huge daybed in the living room. Twice daily maid service. The hotel is right on Ocean Ave - opposite the beach and around the corner (3 minute walk) to the 3rd street promenade – heaps of eating options, street entertainment and shopping there. Highly recommend this place. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our first stay in LA and first time at an old, expensive hotel. My wife and I were guests of our nephew, who invited us and his mom to visit and see his "new-to-him" home. His mom stayed with him. We were excited to stay at the much touted Georgian Hotel as we had never stayed at an expensive and old hotel. We knew going in that LA is an expensive area. However, we were absolutely stunned when we saw the expense of the final bill - never would have guessed the room rate was more than $150/night (Nephew made the reservations and paid the bill). We have stayed in much newer hotels for $100/night and were more satisfied. The hotel location is really good, as has been noted in other reviews, however, we are not used to valet parking and glad we went everywhere with our nephew in his car. The room was clean, no complaint, but there was very limited lighting in the room - fine during the day, bad at night. AND, be VERY careful to NOT touch or move any of the items located in or on the "mini-bar/fridge" area. All have sensors and you will be charged for just moving them, even accidentally. Food was very expensive, but good and the service was usually attentive. All-in-all, it was an enjoyable "once-in-a-lifetime" experience, thanks to our nephew. We will stay at a less expensive location next time, since we will probably be paying for it. We prefer personal comfort, not "old" ambience.

Blenheim, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I booked The Georgian based on Trip Advisor reviews for our first stop on our 3 week holiday throughout the South-West. There were three adults sharing a Standard 2 Queen room (husband, myself and mother-in-law).

On the whole we found The Georgian to be nice enough, the staff we encountered were friendly and efficient, albiet they struggled with understanding our Kiwi accent (not their fault, we got this all through Europe too!).

The accommodation had a cute older boutique feel and the location cannot be beat for proximity to the beach, pier and shops.

Pros:
- Check-in was friendly and informative - offered to help us with suggestions for dinner. We had just arrived after a 15 hour flight from NZ so probably looked dead on our feet!
- Valet was very prompt and helpful
- Convenient location - great view from out the front door, only 5 minutes walk away from 3rd Street Promenade and Santa Monica Place Shopping Mall and only a short distance to the airport (in LA terms!)
- Bathroom had good quality toiletries in big pump bottles attached to the wall
- Quiet room, even though we were only on the 2nd floor, and close to the front of the property, once the windows were closed it was surprisingly quiet

Cons:
- Room was very dark and looked straight out across an alleyway at a solid brick wall.
- Bathroom door lock didn't work - you had to hold the door closed when sitting on the toilet
- Nowhere to hang your towels in the bathroom (apart from over the shower curtain railing)
- It was HOT when we arrived, and the aircon + fans struggled to keep the temperature down
- Quite a few of the power points within the room didn't work/were painted over
- No space in fridge for keeping any water etc cool. Reception offered to bring up a spare fridge if we rang down for one, but this seemed like a hassle to us, so we didn't bother.
- Extremely poor strength Wifi. We could see the network on our phones, however no matter how many times we tried, neither my husband or I could get it to connect.

Lastly, the price.
We realise we were staying in LA, near the beach no less, however we felt the price for a basic room with a view of a concrete wall, was too much for us, and left us feeling like we'd had a very average experience. Our bill totaled $457 NZD (approx $375 USD) for 1 night, including valet, taxes + room service (1 burger), tips were additional.

Perhaps if all the 'little things' were done right, we would've felt more comfortable with paying this amount of money. For this reason, we wouldn't return here again. However if the price doesn't bother you, this hotel definitely has a lot going for it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This may be my favorite hotel that I've ever stayed at. The staff there are so incredibly nice and welcoming. Every single employee that we spoke with were so friendly, accommodating, and helpful. They seemed genuinely happy to be there and made the stay great. We had a 7th floor room which had an unbelievable view of the ocean. I could actually see the Pier while laying in bed. I would recommend asking for a room on the 7th floor or higher so you can see the ocean above the palm trees. The breakfast was delicious and it was great to be able to see the ocean while eating there as well. It is super close (walking distance) to Santa Monica Pier and the 3rd Street Promenade. The only possible complaint I could have is the noise due to the traffic in front of the hotel. But honestly it was worth it for the view of the ocean. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Georgian Hotel? Share your experiences!